Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AEM is looking for a Subaru BRZ once the vehicle is released. AEM is looking to design a cold air intake. Please contact Ken at AEM. His email address is [email protected] Please remember to include your contact info. Thank you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Does the owner of the BRZ get a free cold air intake after the development process?

How much power do you guys expect the BRZ to gain from an AEM CAI? Hopefully a lucky member on this forum gets a chance to take part in this!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would be worried about the effects of eliminating the Helmholtz resonator. It's been shown that on N/A GDs eliminating the resonator can cause really bad oscillations around the MAF and cause fueling issues.

ALso, would AEM plan to retain the pipe to the cabin, or close that off? Not sure which way I'd want to go with that yet...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I would be worried about the effects of eliminating the Helmholtz resonator. It's been shown that on N/A GDs eliminating the resonator can cause really bad oscillations around the MAF and cause fueling issues.

ALso, would AEM plan to retain the pipe to the cabin, or close that off? Not sure which way I'd want to go with that yet...
I don't know much about n/a GD specific applications but I do know a bit about the helmholtz resonator. How did the GD guys get around this? Did it have negative effects on the MAF readings? What about power? Any loss in power?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know much about n/a GD specific applications but I do know a bit about the helmholtz resonator. How did the GD guys get around this? Did it have negative effects on the MAF readings? What about power? Any loss in power?
The "Hybrid Intake" was put together. It was a smooth intake tube that connected to the stock airbox and the "milk jug" in the fender.

Here's a write-up on the whole deal: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

Apparently TiC found a way to compensate with the ECU, but it will likely be a while before the BRZ ECU is cracked.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
So the problem here would be that the car would run really rich. Does the BRZ have a helmholtz resonator?

·
Registered
216 Posts
So the problem here would be that the car would run really rich. Does the BRZ have a helmholtz resonator?
Don't forget that engine load is determined by MAF readings, not just fueling. So it will efect other functions.

If you look to the left of the BRZ airbox I think that black box is the resonator. Of course, it is possible that the accoustic tube for the cabin does the job also. AEM and other intake manufacturers have some work ahead of them to get it right. But this also means that cheap eBay intakes will likely be even worse for the car since those companies won't have put in the R&D money to make sure they don't effect the MAF adversely.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
We are going to have to wait for manufacturers to figure out how subaru/toyota designed the stock intake.

Did AEM or anyone provide a solution to the GD n/a owners?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know, as I only lightly dipped into N/A subies when I was considering a 2.5RS project, and the guy who wrote that is a good friend of mine. He still runs the hybrid intake I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
The "Hybrid Intake" was put together. It was a smooth intake tube that connected to the stock airbox and the "milk jug" in the fender.

Here's a write-up on the whole deal: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

Apparently TiC found a way to compensate with the ECU, but it will likely be a while before the BRZ ECU is cracked.
So what do you think we should do, hold off on a CAI until we can work with the ECU?

It would suck to install this CAI only to have MAF problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would just keep the stock box till a poper CAI is used. If the Hybrid Intake will throw codes and a MAF issues your going to run terrible, and defeats the purpose other than having it there. Which is pointless so why not wait and just keep the stock box,

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it's a matter of letting the good intake companies do their thing to bring a well-developed product to market and then choose. Jumping on the first tube-shaped intake with a cone filter is not the way to go. So let AEM and K&N, etc do their thing.

THEN, let someone be the guinea pig and see how the MAF and fuel trims like the new intake. Hopefully someone near by will have a BRZ and buy an intake so my friend can log the car and see what the results are.

As an arm-chair engineer (so take this with a grain of salt) I think that if AEM and the like retain the acoustic pipe at the same angle off the pipe, it will lessen or eliminate the resonance around the MAF as the energy from the oscillations will be absorbed by the "speaker" in the cabin. But again, that's just my uneducated assumption.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah i would never rock a Home Depo intake...I'd wait for the AEm intake, i just wish all companies would provide dyno sheets on a stock tune and then a tuned version so then i know im not just buying something useless...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I think it's a matter of letting the good intake companies do their thing to bring a well-developed product to market and then choose. Jumping on the first tube-shaped intake with a cone filter is not the way to go. So let AEM and K&N, etc do their thing.

THEN, let someone be the guinea pig and see how the MAF and fuel trims like the new intake. Hopefully someone near by will have a BRZ and buy an intake so my friend can log the car and see what the results are.

As an arm-chair engineer (so take this with a grain of salt) I think that if AEM and the like retain the acoustic pipe at the same angle off the pipe, it will lessen or eliminate the resonance around the MAF as the energy from the oscillations will be absorbed by the "speaker" in the cabin. But again, that's just my uneducated assumption.
Thats what I figured could be a resolution. Its the oscillations and resonance that is causing the misread. If they could avoid it, problem solved?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice! Let us know how everything goes. Remember to mention those MAF issues we've been discussing.
Will do...I was talking to ken...by the way really cool guy...he was telling me on the time frame they might need the car for...but I'm not worried cause AEM has been in the car industry business for some time now...so they know what there doing ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts