Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 BRZ with 61K miles on it. I purchased it with 9K miles, certified used. This car been taken care of and not abused, just used for commuting to work. 2 weeks ago my wife borrowed it since her care was getting serviced and I have been working from home since covid started. She was driving home doing about 40pmh when the engine just stops, according to her no sounds and she thought she was out of gas. When I checked the engine with a ratchet on the crankshaft, it would not turn in the normal direction. I was able to counter rotate it about half a turn easily until it stopped. So off to the repair shop, I don't do engines anymore. The first thing they notice is a hole in the valve cover and when they pull one of the plugs it is destroyed. So they go to pull the engine and when the remove the exhaust manifold they find part of a valve spring. When they drop the oil pan, it is full of a lot of broken metal. including many broken pieces of what was once the piston. When they pull the head they see one cylinder with no piston/rod or valves and the head looks beaten up and like it is partially melted. The other cylinder with just a damaged piston has no valves either. Other than a race car engine, I have never seen a piston completely destroyed like this. The largest piece of the piston was a little larger that a quarter. I have read all the problems with the earlier engines after recalls but nothing like this. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks like the engine completly broke apart!??? How come? What kind of gas was put in the tank? Surely, it was always fed with at least 91 RON ? I guess that the proper oil was used?! All systems functionning and within normal parameters?
The only thing left that comes to mind, you've got an ennemy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the engine completly broke apart!??? How come? What kind of gas was put in the tank? Surely, it was always fed with at least 91 RON ? I guess that the proper oil was used?! All systems functionning and within normal parameters?
The only thing left that comes to mind, you've got an ennemy.
Only one side was destroyed. Always used premium gas, did oil and filter changes 100% synthetic. The car passed state inspection the day before, No check engine light or error codes found. The left side of the engine was destroyed, one piston broken to pieces, the other one damaged. 7 out of 8 valves missing from head. the one spark plug was destroyed and not just the tip but the center electrode was missing and the end of the was all beaten up. Broken springs and valves. two rings were intacked but bent up. Head severely damaged. The other side of the engine was fine. No damage or abnormal wear on any parts or bearings. The oil was full and showed normal discoloration for about 1000 miles of use. Even after the engine destroyed itself, there were no error codes in the computer. This happened while the car was only doing 35-40 MPH. This car was just used for commuting to work, 22 miles each way. Never raced, Besides the 2 mechanics who did the repairs with over 30 years experience each, myself with 50 years and several other mechanics, no one has an explanation for what could have caused this much damage and only on one side of the engine including someone doing something intentional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a known problem with some camshaft gear resulting in loss of oil pressure in the FA20 engine. Now I found infos about a recall for the BRZ but it was from the 2013 model in Canada: a potentially fractured valve spring could cause an engine failure. Maybe the problem replicated in the U.S. for the 2014 BRZ. I'd checked the motor serial number just to be sure. I guess you've done that when you bought the car. Anyway, I hope youre rebuilt engine gives you a better longevity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, yes there was a recall for 2013, not 2014. as far as oil pressure, I would have expected more problems on the other side of the engine plus an error code in the computer. Before the engine was taken apart, given the design of the engine, my guess would have been the left side timing chain was broken. But that was fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a known problem with some camshaft gear resulting in loss of oil pressure in the FA20 engine. Now I found infos about a recall for the BRZ but it was from the 2013 model in Canada: a potentially fractured valve spring could cause an engine failure. Maybe the problem replicated in the U.S. for the 2014 BRZ. I'd checked the motor serial number just to be sure. I guess you've done that when you bought the car. Anyway, I hope youre rebuilt engine gives you a better longevity.
My 2013 is originally from Canada and I have no way of knowing if it was serviced under any recall any ideas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts