Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please feel free to post anything related to the 2014 model year BRZ in this thread. 2014 Scion FR-S / Toyota GT 86 Convertible Rendered – News – Car and Driver

This ^ is a speculative article showing possible renditions of the 2014 MY BRZ convertible (if there even will be one).

The purpose of creating this thread is to house all information related to the 2014 BRZ, one place where you can go and find all the current and updated info. Anyone with articles, inside info, pics, anything at all..please post. Even if it's just speculation go for it. I am particularly interested because many of you know that I had to walk from my 2013 BRZ in GBS Limited, Manual because the lease #s were atrocious. It was comparable to leasing a 50k bmw, whereas the FR-S numbers were very competitive and low. Thus, I decided I would rather wait for 2014 model year, in hopes to either a) buy it because it will be faster and more refined or b) lease it because it will have been out for over a year and the numbers will have settled. Either way I am really excited to see what the engineers come up with for the next model. I hope there are some significant changes.

Changes I'd like to see:
new brakes, preferably Brembo. I've heard/read about severe brake fade during autocross and hard braking.
about 50-75 more hp and 50-75 more torque
larger stock rims and wheels, possibly larger wheel well/fender
refined exhaust note
no torque dip
better nav/entertainment system

That's about all I can think of - the hardest part I think is sucking out more hp and more importantly torque. Regardless I'm very excited. Having waiting since March and it came in July, I can certainly wait another year. By then I will be able to buy the entire car with a suitcase of cash anyway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me I don't really see that logic - you have to constantly evolve and innovate to be at the top of your game. The iphone 4, iphone 4s sold like hotcakes. But they are constantly changing. Even the porsches change is minute details each year. To become an absolutely GREAT car you need small improvements, nothing is ever perfect. It's the balance of change that is important. I think they got the vehicle 85% right. I'm not expecting a ton of change, but one can dream!

·
Registered
148 Posts
sportsguy83 is right. Now that the experiment has been successful, Subaru/Toyota need to focus on scaling up production and infrastructure if they are going to sell in bigger numbers. This takes time and they won't switch up their processes after just a year while the supply chain needs to catch up. And with more to sell their marketing and advertising will become important. It also doesn't pay to upset your first customers less than a year from their purchase with something significantly better. I can't say I've ever seen a model year 2 car that did (correct me if someone knows otherwise).

There might be small tweaks but I don't expect anything like the convertible until model year 2015 with announcements to come in about a year. My guess.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sportsguy83 is right. Now that the experiment has been successful, Subaru/Toyota need to focus on scaling up production and infrastructure if they are going to sell in bigger numbers. This takes time and they won't switch up their processes after just a year while the supply chain needs to catch up. And with more to sell their marketing and advertising will become important. It also doesn't pay to upset your first customers less than a year from their purchase with something significantly better. I can't say I've ever seen a model year 2 car that did (correct me if someone knows otherwise).

There might be small tweaks but I don't expect anything like the convertible until model year 2015 with announcements to come in about a year. My guess.
Let's wait until the 2014 MY comes available until we say who is right :D

Also, I am hesistant to say that there will be a convertible available either, this is the place to put links, info, spy shots and any info regarding next model year. I do however hope and think there will be a slight increase in hp and torque. Especially if they add a new sti type model.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There was a thread somewhere on this forum regarding Toyota continuing development of a Supra replacement despite releasing the FR-S. At the same time, Subaru needs to redo the WRX and STI. My guess is that the BRZ/FR-S joint venture is really a test platform for both of these cars. At the same time, Subaru is the final stage of releasing the new 2014 Forester, the Subaru XV Crosstrek, and scaling up production of the Impreza to match the demands for that car. If you think the BRZ is super popular, look into the Impreza, demand for that is outrageous and the factory is barely keeping up with our sales. Then there's also its main-standing flagship performance platform, the WRX and STI that is also supposed to be redone for 2014.

That being said, I doubt Subaru is going to dump that much more money into a car that doesn't even fall into their AWD core. My belief is that they're going to keep the car as is for next year while they focus more on their core products. If there are any major upgrades or the likes, it will be for the FR-S and done internally through Toyota with small possibility that same upgrades will be available for the BRZ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like the new brz and I agree that it is way too early to make any changes to the car it is fine the way it is and does not need a turbo , this is a car that needs to be drive handling is way more important than more speed if you want that buy some other car I cannot wait till I can get one

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cars have a 5 year (average) life cycle. Year to year updates will be very small, and typically cosmetic (new lights, new colors, maybe a new option or two), but nothing radical. There will be a refresh mid-cycle to introduce new features to stay up to date, but nothing significant. Sometimes something significant like a new engine or transmission might be introduced, but the base model will still be available. Don't expect a completely new model for another 4 to 5 years. With that being said, convertible versions and high performance models are generally regarded as in a different class and as a different car (think BMW's M3 and the 3 Series or the STI/WRX and the Impreza).

Like sportsguy83 said, and to some extent, what Rockster said, don't hold your breath for many improvements for next year's model. I think fixes to the first model year's problems should be expected, but 50 - 70 more HP is just wishful thinking unless they release the STI next year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
new brakes, preferably Brembo. I've heard/read about severe brake fade during autocross and hard braking.
- I don't see this happening as not everyone wants them and they are an expensive mod and expensive to maintain

about 50-75 more hp and 50-75 more torque
- this much power would kill everything that makes the car as amazing as it is. I can see 30-40 maybe, but it is damn near perfect as is.

larger stock rims and wheels, possibly larger wheel well/fender
- Rims AND wheels? ^_^ I could go for wider wheels being an option. I don't see anything wider other than that happening. Why ruin a beautiful car?

refined exhaust note
- Its a 4 banger with EL headers

no torque dip
- I'd like to see that too!

better nav/entertainment system
- Whats wrong with the current one?
just my 2 cents. ^_^ I think of the current model as an amazing car and a lot of things people are proposing would ruin it. There is a reason it was made the way it was.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Subi said that they planned on making small changes every year, like what Nissan has done with the GTR. Fine by me. I'll probably trade up in 3 years to whatever is going on at that point.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I kind of expect the 2014 MY BRZ to be released around the same time that this one was. Maybe even later, because if they are doing significant engine changes it might take more engineering hours.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts