Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S have been tearing up in sales lately, becoming the No. 1 and No. 2 selling cars, respectively. This comes as quite a surprise, considering they both were met with some minor grumbling over the fact that neither had any plans for a turbocharged model any time soon.

That phrase “any time soon” really only applies to the BRZ, as Subaru and Toyota both have made it clear that customers looking to buy a Scion FR-S will not be likely to ante up the extra dough needed for forced induction, so they effectively eliminated the FR-S from the boost talks. The BRZ, on the other hand, is marketed to the higher-end customer that just might pony up some extra Benjamins for some spoolage. However, that term “any time soon” rears up again, and we are stuck wondering what Subaru’s idea of “soon” really is.

With the recent announcement from Subaru about the addition of a turbocharger onto the FA-20 engine – the engine that the FR-S and BRZ come with – and its use in the upcoming Legacy sedan and wagon, we are starting to think the any time soon period has officially ended. We anticipate seeing a BRZ with a turbocharger hitting showrooms in the 2015 model year, at the latest, but the paltry 296 horsepower that the current boosted FA-20 produces won’t hold a candle to the version that the BRZ will see.

Click past the jump to read our thoughts and ideas on what this 2015 Subaru BRZ will have to offer.

First off, the BRZ is a damn sexy car straight out of the box, but for a turbocharged model, Subaru will have to sweeten up that pot a little. We assume that the turbocharged BRZ will have to boast Subaru’s famous STI designation, much like the WRX STI.

With this STI package would come a set of 18-inch alloy wheels, a complete body kit, and a wing to keep the rear end in check at high speeds. We wouldn’t be surprised to see Subaru sneak in a little movement in the wing to increase or decrease downforce, as needed. Smoked headlights and taillights would also be a nice touch, giving the BRZ Turbo a more mysterious look, but Subaru is not big on customizing the lighting.

As we inch closer to the BRZ Turbo – if it bears the STI badge – we will continue to update the exterior with actual data from Subaru.

We would anticipate the BRZ Turbo coming with full leather interior, but not just plain old leather. Subaru will certainly add some contrasting stitching to the seats, as well as STI embroidery to remind you what’s under the hood, if it boasts the STI badge.

The BRZ Turbo will come standard with all of the gadgets and gizmos that the regular BRZ currently has, including: voice-activated GPS, 8-speaker HD Radio stereo system, Bluetooth, iPod control, keyless entry, etc. In addition to these standard features, you can anticipate the obligatory boost gauge, yaw control, and maybe even a turbo timer.

Just like with the exterior, we have not received any confirmation from Subaru, so we will add more information as it becomes available.

Under the hood is about the only place that we have a little bit of information from Subaru to pass on. Granted, the information is from the upcoming Impreza, but we at least have a base to go off of. The FA-20 turbo that is going into the upcoming Legacy punches out 296 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Its biggest limitation is that it bolts up to a soft and weak CVT. We have a strong feeling that Subaru had to detune the FA-20 after installing the turbo to help preserve the CVT’s lifespan.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
If a BRZ Turbo hits showroom floors in 2015, it will not bear a crappy CVT – at least it had better not – and therefore, Subaru can push the FA-20 to its limits. We anticipate a horsepower number north of 325 and a torque rating in the 350s, which would make this 2+2 hatchback a screamer. The transmission we expect to see connected to the FA-20 turbo would be the same 6-speed manual that connects to it on the current BRZ, and maybe an optional dual-clutch automatic.

If Subaru is going to boost the BRZ, chances are that it will include all-wheel drive. It would be a bit of a waste to have a hopped up Subaru pushing power only to the rear wheels. This would also include the ability to adjust the torque ratio from front to back, in order to compensate for varying driving and track conditions. Wanna drift? Set the torque to full-rear and rip that ass end loose in the twisties. Want to stomp some V-8-powered car into the ground? Set the torque to a 50-50 distribution and watch the V-8 vaporize its tires as your BRZ squats and scoots its way to the finish.

With the 200-horsepower, rear-driven 2012 BRZ hitting 60 mph in as little as 6.4 seconds and covering a quarter-mile in just 14.9 seconds at a top speed of 95.5 mph, it is already a fairly peppy little car. Pump in an extra 125 ponies and AWD, and you have a car that we estimate hitting 60 mph in about 4.6 seconds and covering the quarter in roughly 13 seconds at 110 mph.

This is still all preliminary speculation on our end, but in our own little magical world, the BRZ turbo is one for the ages. Hopefully Subaru can deliver on our expectations.

The BRZ is already an impeccable handling vehicle, so we don’t expect to see too much modification here. The most likely changes to the suspension will be the addition of thicker sway bars on the front and rear, and possibly adding in strut tower braces.

The brakes on the turbo model will likely boast a set of slightly larger diameter rotors, and 4-pot calipers for a little extra squeeze. The most notable difference in the BRZ Turbo’s handling system will be larger section width tires. The current BRZ boasts 215 mm (8.46-inch) section width tires, and with the taller and wider rims, we would figure on seeing 225 mm (8.85-inch) tires. This gives the Subaru more rubber to bite the road with, thereby increasing its handling and braking performance.

We’ll update you more on the suspension once Subaru gives us an idea of what it’s thinking with this model.

While guessing a price for a high-performance model like this is tough, we can use some educated assumption in pinpointing a price range. We’ll use the WRX as a basic template. The base model WRX has a $25,595 MSRP, and the WRX STI has a $34,095 base price. The difference between the two levels is $8,500, which is a 33 percent markup on the base model.

Using that markup, we can reasonably say that based on the base MSRP of the BRZ, which is $25,495, we can estimate a price of roughly $34,000. Again, this is purely just using known variables to estimate the complete unknown, so don’t start setting up financing just yet.

We are heading into the true unknown with the BRZ Turbo’s competition. We do know that Ford is redesigning the Mustang, which we figure will be a 2015 model. There are also rumors of this model boasting a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine that supposedly pumps out 330 horsepower, which rumors are pointing to being installed in a resurrected Mustang SVO. This is the only true competitor that we can point to now, but the information is just so scarce on the mustang redesign that we can’t make a comparison just yet. We can say that the two will be very close to one another in performance, especially if Ford fits the Mustang with AWD.

For now, this is purely speculative information based on what we think Subaru would do to the BRZ if a turbo model hits showrooms. We will continue to update this review as information becomes available, if Subaru ever pulls the trigger on this model, and give you a full conclusion on the model. In our own little automotive wonderland, the BRZ Turbo is a work of art.

LOVE IT
- Love the idea of 300+ ponies in this lightweight car
- STI badges would look just right
- Acceleration would be out of this world fast

LEAVE IT
- Subaru’s taking its sweet old time announcing it
- May become detuned to avoid competing with the WRX STI

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/2015-subaru-brz-turbo-ar132011.html

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Whomever wrote it LOST me in the first sentence, when it says the BRZ is the #1 selling car, when actualy the FRS is outselling the BRZ by a 3:1 ratio :-S

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Well not for nothing it was manufactured in larger numbers and and at a cheaper price point
I'm not bashing the BRZ or FRS, I know why the reason for this, they ARE fabricating them at a rate of 4 FRS to 1 BRZ so adding that up with the lower price, of course there are going to be more FRS's. I am questioning the credibility of the write up if it is someone that doesn't know that type of simple, available to the public information (the selling numbers).

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is more speculation then fact, which can be fun, however he is talking like he knows something. The author doesn't even understand the dynamics of how the COG was obtained, they will not make this car all wheel drive....my speculation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Come on now, let's be realistic... First of all a mustang AWD??? comical lol :p cause that wouldn't destroy the prestigious "mustang" name. They are not going to make the brz AWD. Do you really think a leading automotive manufacture like subaru would produce a brand new model with a name that included "rear wheel drive" just to produce an AWD version 2 years later. What are they going to do change to baz? Or stay brz and hope no one notices? I don't think someone in the higher ups of subaru would have not planned for that one. As for turbo, might happen but then again you adding component weight, I personally think we will see maybe 50 more hp on a na fa20, just a little more tightly wound engine.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
614 Posts
Whoever says this 2015 variant, or ANY variant of the BRZ will be AWD is absolutely ridiculous. Let me put it this way: the BRZ name stands for Boxer engine, Rear drive, Zenith. BRZ. BOXER REAR ZENITH. Don't you feel special now?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry for my lack of car knowledge. But isn't it possible to have RWD and then a toggle to switch to 4WD? I believe some cars have this capability.

If this was an option, I wouldn't mind that so much.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't pretend to know what Subaru will do exactly, none of us do. But what I can say with certainty is that the BRZ name isnt going to stop them from developing an AWD car if they believe it is what is needed. So lets put that issue to bed. If AWD makes sense, they will do it, and figure out the naming part, that is easy.

BRZ sales are doing well so I suspect that will be the green light for additional variants including a roadster and more power. But the BRZ is about a low COG and low weight and whatever power variant is chosen will factor this in.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't pretend to know what Subaru will do exactly, none of us do. But what I can say with certainty is that the BRZ name isnt going to stop them from developing an AWD car if they believe it is what is needed. So lets put that issue to bed. If AWD makes sense, they will do it, and figure out the naming part, that is easy.

BRZ sales are doing well so I suspect that will be the green light for additional variants including a roadster and more power. But the BRZ is about a low COG and low weight and whatever power variant is chosen will factor this in.
I understand that point about doing what makes sense - and a roadster and sti version do make sense, however the AWD does not. At all. Not only is the entire point of the car centered around it being RWD, and light -an AWD version would be absolutely ridiculous and nearly impossible. Why would they ever create the BRZ then? They have the WRX, which is awd. The brz could not handle rwd, it would be much too heavy, and would raise the center of gravity significantly. I am willing to bet large sums of money that AWD will never be seen in the brz. The entire name has rear wheel drive in it.

How about this: We put to bed the talk of AWD, because it's insane and makes people look really...well I guess you can finish that line of thought.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Subaru will turn the BRZ into something great if i recall their last attempt in RWD was the SVX and lets all be fair that wasnt exactly the best car. In terms of subaru i see them creating an STi model but it may not be AWD, if it was AWD whats the point of selling an WRX Sti awd and a BRZ STi awd...

AWD will never been seen unless their are one off or custom built.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When speaking with an executive from SOA, we were given the impression during training that the BRZ's low production was because this was only an attention getter. It was suppose to highlight the Subaru name and hopefully sell more AWD cars as a result. To me, the BRZ will stay rear wheel drive as, like other posters before me, it's ridiculous to have AWD in a car that features a RWD system in its namesake.

If there are to be any turbo and AWD in this platform, it would be under a Subaru only name plate such as a new WRX or STI, or possibly even a new name altogether, but definitely not as a BRZ.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whoever says this 2015 variant, or ANY variant of the BRZ will be AWD is absolutely ridiculous. Let me put it this way: the BRZ name stands for Boxer engine, Rear drive, Zenith. BRZ. BOXER REAR ZENITH. Don't you feel special now?
Hahaha that's true if they are going to put an awd them changed the name to baz and drop the r

·
Registered
23 Posts
To get the BRZ to AWD all Subaru has to do is raise the engine about 4.5 inches and move it (the engine) about 9.5 inches forward and they can make an AWD version. Of course this compromises all the handling characteristics that make a BRZ great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for my lack of car knowledge. But isn't it possible to have RWD and then a toggle to switch to 4WD? I believe some cars have this capability.

If this was an option, I wouldn't mind that so much.
The question isn't whether it's possible, but whether you want it and whether it makes sense for this car. If you're unsure why, do some track days, test drive lots of cars. Drive sporty 4wd cars like the wrx and sporty rwd cars like the elise, s2000, etc. The center of gravity and front to rear weight distribution really matter. FWD vs. RWD really matters. You can feel it in any corner. If you want a fast fun AWD car, get a WRX. But the BRZ is great because RWD is usually more fun than AWD because you basically can steer the front with the wheel and rear with your right foot. If you go karting you can feel this easily. Making the BRZ AWD would ruin it if you changed nothing else. Unfortunately it also requires raising the center of gravity and moving the engine forward which would unbalance the car and ruin the handling magic.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts

When Subaru develops a car similar to BRZ AWD, it will be a new model, not the BRZ.

To get the BRZ to AWD all Subaru has to do is raise the engine about 4.5 inches and move it (the engine) about 9.5 inches forward and they can make an AWD version. Of course this compromises all the handling characteristics that make a BRZ great.
^^^ This.... Right now it is not even possible, the car would be to be re-engineered and its biggest selling point, (handling) would need to be compromised, so again, the AWD "BRZ" will be a different Subaru model. Any BRZ will always be RWD.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts