Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is actually my first post just wanted to share with you guys what I got done to my BRZ with no more than $20 and a couple of hours to spare. Hope you guys like it and if you have any questions ill do my best to answer them as soon as I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
That looks great, especially the dash pieces. I like how it tones down the silver trim but still gives a different texture to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but how did you get the door grabs, wheel trim and gear shift trim off? I know the dash bits are just held in with clips; are the others the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may be a dumb question, but how did you get the door grabs, wheel trim and gear shift trim off? I know the dash bits are just held in with clips; are the others the same?
It's actually very simple the hardest thing I would say was taking off the steering wheel part bc there are three release tabs on each side and bottom. I bought a dash and trim removal kit from harbor freight for 10 bucks. They are just plastic pry tools so you won't scratch the trim. The door handles you just start it from the bottom and move you way up, the dash is super easy just get it any where in the middle and and work your way out and last but not least the trim around the boot is the same way just start prying from the side and once you get it out I used a small Phillips screw driver to separate the boot from the trim. All parts have clips except the steering wheel trim it has two screws on the top side behind the bag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks very nice!
Where did you get your 3m lay from and how much did you get?
The vinyl wrap I got from eBay. The seller is called Metromods and the brand of the wrap is 3M. I believe there's a mat carbon fiber and a glossy carbon fiber, I got the glossy one. The sheet I got was 60in x 12in and I still have enough to the side mirrors if I wanted to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you have to take the airbag module out of the steering wheel to access them?
Yes you do there are two hidden screws in back of it. Don't be scared its actually quite simple. There are three holes behind the steering wheel two on each side and one on the bottom. If you look through the wholes you'll see a thick metal wire all you have to do is get something that fits in the hole and just push on it. It pops right out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am doing the same thing with mine but instead of using a CF vinyl I am using the 3M 1080 Black Brushed Metal vinyl. So far I only have one of the door grabs done... waiting on some more to do the dash and need a heat gun to really tackle the shifter trim. Sorry for the awful cell phone pictures.
handle-after.jpg handle-old-new.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is the finished product. It seems to have come out pretty well. I was concerned about it making the interior feel TOO dark (along with the tint) but it actually doesn't at all.
IMG_20130713_150505_682.jpg IMG_20130713_150516_344.jpg IMG_20130713_150543_476.jpg IMG_20130713_150549_965.jpg IMG_20130713_150559_621.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Really Nice job!!! Looks really Good.
Thanks!

I really like the look.
I'd do this to my CBS in a heartbeat if I had the skills to do as great a job as you did!
Thanks, but honestly this was my first time doing this. I just took my time and started on the easier pieces (namely the door grabs) so I could get the hang of it. I didn't think I would need it, but a heat gun is beyond helpful. I got my vinyl for like $20 from Metro Car Mods on ebay (they have a website, too). If you don't get it quite right you aren't out a load of money and you can always peel it off and try again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Man that looks slick. Did the $20 of vinyl do the entire job? Also, for removing the different items, did you use any websites to show you how to properly remove each piece?

Thanks!

Thanks, but honestly this was my first time doing this. I just took my time and started on the easier pieces (namely the door grabs) so I could get the hang of it. I didn't think I would need it, but a heat gun is beyond helpful. I got my vinyl for like $20 from Metro Car Mods on ebay (they have a website, too). If you don't get it quite right you aren't out a load of money and you can always peel it off and try again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had to buy a second bit of vinyl for the dash since what I had gotten first had the grain going the wrong way (across the short side instead of longways), but if I had gotten the right one in the first place it would have been doable. I got a 12" x 60" sheet.

As for removal, I used a $10 set of nylon trim removal/install tools from Harbor Freight. The OP did a good job of answering my questions about getting the individual bits off earlier in this thread. I can offer a couple tips, though. Most importantly, the handbrake boot comes STRAIGHT UP. I wound up breaking one of the tabs on it while pulling it off... a new one is $65. So yeah, don't break that. Also, the door grab handles are really soft so make sure you are gentle taking the silver part off. I suggest using your pet tools on the "front" so if you make little marks you don't see them. Other than that, just take your time. I will try to find the video that covers the hvac control area as it is easy to miss a couple screws. I might make one about the airbag, too.

EDIT: Here is the video detailing how to take basically the entire console apart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbAtqc_5dQ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts