Subaru BRZ Forum banner
8K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Jason0513 
#1 ·
So for those of you that currently own your BRZ, how is the air conditioning in the car? There are a few cars that I've driven that have a nice A/C system in terms of cooling the car quickly, coupled with seats that don't trap heat. For instance, my A8 as well as my 07 accord have great A/C systems, especially the A8. Now my girlfriend's new dodge charger has a rather bad air system (mainly because you can't turn the rear vents off). So how is it guys? After all we are experiencing record high temps now.

Also, when the air is on how is the car's power? I expect it to be significantly impacted, but just how much, is it rather chuggy or a lot of power loss?

Thanks!

#2 ·
^ may i suggest you stuff your girlfriends rear vents, maybe all but one of them, with steel wool on that ..cough, charger.

#5 ·
I've sat in a brz with the engine and a/c on. I've driven an frs with the a/c on and off.

From my experience, the a/c on both is great. From my experience, the a/c on japanese cars has always been ice cold and reliable. From European cars, the a/c has not. European car a/c like bmw and many others don't place much emphasis on them because it does not get that hot there.

The a/c on the fr-s did seem to however slow the engine/car down significantly. Very noticeable. It was great, worked great, but slowed down the power by an extreme margin.

#8 ·
I have to say I love the A/C in the car. Today is the hottest day I've used it in and its been nothing but great. definitely one of the best I've used (granted it is a small car). I timed it this morning (although at that point it was 72 degrees out) and from stagnant, warm air to cold, dry air it took only 2 min and 30 sec (although it felt cold in the car around the 1 min mark, my IR heat sensor diffident get down to the desired temp of 65 until 2:30). The one thing I really like about the A/C is that when you turn it off, (for more power!) it still blows usable air through the vents that varies with the speed of the car. That to me is huge, you can stay relatively aerated during stints without the AC robbing power from the engine (great for the track). If you really want a sweat-box you can always close the physical vent covers or switch to recirculated air.

#9 ·
It's all good under the BRZ hood. It's almost 98 here in illy and the air is just fine and the power remarkably does not lack much when it is on. I really like the auto air that cools down the car then adjusts. Plus it gets cold so fast as stated earlier. In the black RU that counts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.