Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to what everyone is using as far is replacement speakers. As we all know, the stock speakers are good but not great, and most of us I'm sure have put it on our list somewhere to replace them. So far I've got:

Rockford P3D4-10 sub
Rockford R500x1D amp

I also have Rockford FNQ1414 4 inch component set for the dash, (if I can get them to fit) but I'm still not sure what I want to do with the door speakers and rear speakers. Considering a mid-bass driver for the doors so I don't have to do any fabrication to the panel to do components, and I'm completely lost with the back speakers and an amp to power them.

What are you guys all using?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was thinking about this as well. Honestly, you know I'm no expert but I've spent a lot of time trying to work out those same questions. I have some components from previous cars so In my situation, it's more functional to run the whole sound system off of 2 amplifiers. One being a monoblock amp for my current sub enclosure (10"). The other being a multichannel amplifier capable of 4 ohms/speaker, to effectively replace the oem set up. I already have 2 boston acustics 6.5" 2 way for the doors. 3.5" rear speakers aren't worth upgrading since they produce very little of what the driver/pass hear. But since it's Christmas you can get many top end pairs for less than $50. Replacing the front speakers isn't on my wish list simply because I think they produce a clear sound.
Additionally, I've installed damplifier pro throughout my car to compensate for any exhaust drone. While this didn't completely sound proof the car, it did help with the stock speaker clarity. I find that even at highway speeds I don't need the volume up too loud to hear what's going on. The best thing this sound deadening did was eliminate a life of body shake and metal rattle from the panels. This is a DD for me so I have no concern about additional weight. Plus with roadside I can always pull off the spare tire and jack bringing the weight way down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about this as well. Honestly, you know I'm no expert but I've spent a lot of time trying to work out those same questions. I have some components from previous cars so In my situation, it's more functional to run the whole sound system off of 2 amplifiers. One being a monoblock amp for my current sub enclosure (10"). The other being a multichannel amplifier capable of 4 ohms/speaker, to effectively replace the oem set up. I already have 2 boston acustics 6.5" 2 way for the doors. 3.5" rear speakers aren't worth upgrading since they produce very little of what the driver/pass hear. But since it's Christmas you can get many top end pairs for less than $50. Replacing the front speakers isn't on my wish list simply because I think they produce a clear sound.
Additionally, I've installed damplifier pro throughout my car to compensate for any exhaust drone. While this didn't completely sound proof the car, it did help with the stock speaker clarity. I find that even at highway speeds I don't need the volume up too loud to hear what's going on. The best thing this sound deadening did was eliminate a life of body shake and metal rattle from the panels. This is a DD for me so I have no concern about additional weight. Plus with roadside I can always pull off the spare tire and jack bringing the weight way down.

It is also a daily driver for me as well, so no real issues with weight, especially considering I plan on doing some weight saving as well. But I do love my music loud... Being an audio guy (as well as being obnoxious and love pissing off people at my work) I wanted to really do the stereo right... But I don't think I can find speakers that small the right power... I smallest amp from rockford I could find ( I also like having everything match) is the pbr300x4... It's the best option for this car without taking up more trunk Space because it is so tiny...only 4.25x6.75 inches... It wouldn't be hard to take out the stock amp and put it there... That's 75 watts per channel max... And your not on a find 3.5 inch speakers that will handle that... Maybe split it between the rear and the door speakers??? Split the power up between the both of them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dude, we can figure this out together. I've pulled every single pannel off this car for sound deadening so I know what components go into the doors and rear. I've got the parts (minus and amp choice) I just need some help conceptually to piece it all together. I'm gathering a list of all the speaker parts I plan on using to see the power output and try to find an amp that can handle it. I'm looking at running a 4 Ohm set up...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, we can figure this out together. I've pulled every single pannel off this car for sound deadening so I know what components go into the doors and rear. I've got the parts (minus and amp choice) I just need some help conceptually to piece it all together. I'm gathering a list of all the speaker parts I plan on using to see the power output and try to find an amp that can handle it. I'm looking at running a 4 Ohm set up...
Yeah, well so far, (except for my sub) I've got just a Rockford FNQ 1414 component set for the dash... Unfortunately they're too deep and it seems I might have to get spacers for them (not sure what is underneath but it looks like part of the air conditioning/heating vents)... But they're 100 watts rms... I'm thinking of getting the spacers to fit 6.5s to do mid bass speakers in the doors as well... And you went with the second skin sound deadening right??? It's all my buddies from work use...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I used second skin it really helped dampen the road vibrations...Honestly as far as spacers, you could probably fashion your own from PVC if you had access to a rotary tool like a dremmel.

Right now I'm trying to conceptually figure out a way to replace the door speakers and probably the front 3.5's with a set I currently own that are not being used. The speakers are all 4ohm but I'm pretty new to the auto audio world that I'm trying to get an understanding as to how to set up a system with what I have at a low cost

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I used second skin it really helped dampen the road vibrations...Honestly as far as spacers, you could probably fashion your own from PVC if you had access to a rotary tool like a dremmel.

Right now I'm trying to conceptually figure out a way to replace the door speakers and probably the front 3.5's with a set I currently own that are not being used. The speakers are all 4ohm but I'm pretty new to the auto audio world that I'm trying to get an understanding as to how to set up a system with what I have at a low cost

If I'm not mistaken the front speakers are actually 4"... The rockford set I have is 4" and match up with the holes pretty well... I just need to find a way to get them in the dash... The space they give you isn't nearly enough for any respectable component set...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts