Subaru BRZ Forum banner

Air Compressor

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  reddog900 
#1 ·
While doing some research for winter car prep, I read that over-inflating tires (to 45 psi) helps to prevent flat spots.

I'm interested in getting an air compressor that I can use for this as well as inflating partial flats. Can anyone recommend a good air compressor, preferably one with good psi (pressure?) gauge. Forgive me if I all air compressors come with gauges. I'm just a noob.

Cheers,
kp

#2 ·
Over-inflating tires only applies if you are going to store the car for a while. You could just take the car out for a short drive once in a while and you don't have to worry about it.

As for an air compressor, I would not trust any gauge on the air compressor because most times, the small units are vibrating so much that you're not going to get a good reading. Use a separate tire pressure gauge to check pressures and inflate/deflate as necessary.

#3 · (Edited)
Iwas in need of a small compressor and did not want a big tank to come with it. I saw some that one could put in ther car 'emergency kit'. Went to my normal auto parts store. Then went to Harbor Freight Tools, a newly opened store in my area.

Bought a 'Pittsburg Automotive' (made in China, BTW) 12 volt, 100 psi compressor for about $20. My intended use is minimal, occasionally inflating tires and also for winter inflation to 42-45 PSI. Used it only twice so far. Seems to work well. As already mentioned, always double check the PSI with your handy manual tire gauge.

Portable compresors are also available in the $100 - $150 range. See California Car Cover. Use the 'search feature for "air compressor".

#4 ·
An air compressor can be a handy tool, it just depends upon how handy you want to be with it. I have three air compressors - a large 30 gallon unit that powers my air tools, fills tires, and is used to dry wet items. Second unit is a portable small round "pancake" style that comes with 2 staple guns and sold at most Home Depot/Lowe hardware stores- Porter Cable is a typical brand. Third unit is a small SLIME brand unit that i got from Walmart that I carry on my motorcycle trips and us it to fill flat tires or air mattress. Each has a purpose and you need to determine what suits your needs the best.
Get a dependable tire pressure gauge, it may cost a few cents more, but in the long run you will have it a lifetime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.