Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

I've actually been here for several weeks, throwing in the occasional random post. (Not a newb to forums. Just this one.)
Yesterday, I put down a deposit on a white, manual '13 Limited. Should pick it up tomorrow night.

Me? My name is Steve and I'm 56 years old. I do telecommunications at the power company.
I have been a car nut since before I was potty trained. Seriously.
My "other" toy is an '88 Pontiac Fiero with a Cadillac Deville/Allante V8 and a 5 speed. Has a very similar power-to-weight ratio to the BRZ, although it's a torque monster. It's won a show plaque or two. Nothing major, in the grand scheme of things.
I'll spare you, right now, but will post pics of both when I take delivery of the BRZ.

I enjoy doing most of my own mechanical work.
(My wife reminds me when I throw tools across the garage, "Remember, this is what you do for fun!" Sometimes I don't like her very much. :D )
It appears that there are a lot of DIY folks here. I hope I'll be able to learn a lot, and help a lot, too.

Peace.

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, welcome, I'm in GA too and have the same name. I sort of do the same type of work, an electrician in the IBEW. I've done some simple fiber optics and ethernet stuff but mainly industrial controls and power distribution. Anyway, you will like the car, it gets better with age it seems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Steve! Glad to see older people buying the BRZ to keep the insurance rates down for us young people! Haha, welcome to the forum!
Hah! That's still the one unknown in this whole process. Insurance rates. (Not that they could be that bad.)
I guess it depends upon how many of these things have been parked in the woods at a high rate of speed. :D

Surprisingly, the insurance on my 2009 Challenger R/T was within a few dollars of the cost of the insurance on my Trailblazer. Didn't see that coming...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hah! That's still the one unknown in this whole process. Insurance rates. (Not that they could be that bad.)
I guess it depends upon how many of these things have been parked in the woods at a high rate of speed. :D

Surprisingly, the insurance on my 2009 Challenger R/T was within a few dollars of the cost of the insurance on my Trailblazer. Didn't see that coming...
wow that close? I hear a lot of different numbers for insurance, but I think that for the most part it's reasonable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello y'all from Savannah. Welcome to the forum. Funny thing about insurance in these cars, I had a 2010 MX5 PHT and the insurance on the BRZ is like $400 a year more. And that's for a "4" seater.
Can't be the performance issue, because there isn't one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Steve, got you beat on the age thing ... I'm 59 today believe it or not. Like you I enjoy working on cars and in the past motorcycles - it can be therapeutic including the tool slinging! Picking up a new BRZ Limited next Wed. and have looked at quite a few Youtube videos on BRZ maintenance - the one that floored me was changing the BRZ's plugs ... who knew - nothing like how straight forward it is as on my 1996 Civic. You have an interesting mix of cars now with the introduction of your BRZ.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts