Subaru BRZ Forum banner
22K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Mossyjaw 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if the protection plan for roadside assistance, windshield replacement, lost key replacement, and paintless dent repair is worth it? It seems good but just like anything else I'm kinda second guessing myself.

#2 ·
I have it but haven't used it.. it wasn't that expensive. I received a door ding the 2nd week I owned the car. As soon as I can part with my car I will see how their paintless dent repair works out. I think I remember him saying there was a $100 deductible even with the plan. It probably wasn't worth it. I also bought the 7 year 70k warranty.

#3 · (Edited)
You did not mention if the insurance is thru a dealer or the company that insures your car. IF you haven't inquired thru your auto insurance company then do that and compare. I do not, however, recommend going thru a dealer for ANY insurance.

Also, check to see that when buying a new car if roadside assistance is already included by the manufacturer. The following is an excerpt taken from my Subaru Assistance documentation when I bought my Subaru:

Subaru of America, Inc. provides all owners of Subaru vehicles with coverage in the Subaru Roadside Assistance plan. The coverage term is the same as the Subaru Limited Warranty of three years (36 months) or 36,000 miles. Whichever occurs first.

AFTER the 3 years (or 36,000 miles) then go to your auto insurance company (or agent) and sign up for roadside coverage if you want it. Note: If you buy a new Subaru, you may not need Roadside Assistance with your auto insurance policy until such time as the Subaru coverage expires.

The only other comment: Only YOU can analyze if you will have a need for all of that other (non roadside) balderdash coverage.

#4 ·
I got it already and was thinking of canceling but unfortunately it's not cancelable.. It costed ~$600 and from the paperwork there was no deductible and it included paintless dent repair, windshield replacement, key replacement, and 24/7 roadside assistance. It sounded good at the moment and I got it but thinking about it now it wasn't that great. Insurance covers windshield and roadside assistance already so that was unnecessary.

It was through the dealership so I realized it was just mostly BS, first car purchase so I guess I learned my lesson. Coverage is for 5 years so at least it might be worth it down the line. I might get some use out of the paintless dent repairs since door dings are sometimes hard to avoid.

#5 ·
Are you sure it is not cancel-able? How did you determine that?

Usually there is a specified number of days in which the buyer can cancel. If you are not sure, read the entire contract (the small print) but I suspect it may already be too late for you. Let me know.

#7 ·
Yea I called the dealership who sold it to me and talked to them about it, unfortunately she said it's not cancelable, only the extended warranty is which this isn't.

The only reason I bought it was for the ding and windshield repair. I've had bad luck with rocks on other vehicles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yea that's the main reason I bought it also, hearing about the windshield being cracked easily and door dings are something that are kinda out of your reach on avoiding.

#9 ·
These policies make money for the dealership, lots of it, and are generally a bad deal for you the consumer. Door ding's are relatively inexpensive to repair. I had 5 removed from my Legacy GT along one side (don't ask) a couple of years ago, and Dent Dynamics charged me less than $100 bucks, took about 20 minutes. Talk with your insurance agent on windshield repair and adjust your Comprehensive insurance. My last windshield repair on my Legacy GT was $50.

For $600 you'd be better off putting that towards a lower Comprehensive deductible, a far better investment in my opinion. Or just stick the $600 bucks in a savings account and use it for repairs over several years.

Roadside assistance? Get a AAA membership, it will even cover you in a rental car which the Subaru roadside assistance won't.

#14 ·
Really shouldn't be anything special with the BRZ windshield. other than it is for a BRZ (and FRS).

My Legacy GT had heating coils in the base, it was $50 to replace with my insurance policy comprehensive limits. Your comprehensive deductible is just that, the deductible, it shouldn't matter what the construction of the windshield is. The replacement costs are factored into the cost of the insurance, not the deductible.

#17 ·
my 2 cents:

i have had my BRZ for 2 months, and have already had a flat tire from hitting a pothole and a door ding. the tire will cost $208 to replace, and the door ding will cost $175 if i choose to fix it.

if the protection plan covers those, then in hindsight i wish i had gotten it.

if not, then i don't see the point. the subaru roadside assistance is not worth anything in my opinion. i got the aforementioned flat, and SRA said all they could do is jack up the car and put on the spare. could not evaluate the tire for repair or replacement. could not tell me if tire replacement was included in my bumper to bumper warranty and told me to call my dealer. and could not send anyone for over an hour.

#18 ·
It fixes door dings, windshield, key replacements, and roadside assistance.. No tire replacements. So I guess in the long run it might be worth it but it depends on where you live also. I live in a fairly populated area and most of the time am downtown or in parking lots that barely have any parking so I have a feeling door dings are going to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.