Subaru BRZ Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just curious how many have the auto BRZ?

I have always been a manual guy and propably always will be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
To each his own. I have the auto and drove with a friend of mine who has driven manual cars and tells me the auto paddle shifters felt like a manual. I know the specs and know that the manual is quicker by 1 second but for fun factor the auto is just as good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
865 Posts
Eight and nine-speed automatics are available now (or soon will be) on some Chrysler vehicles as well as non-domestic brands. In addition, Ford and General Motors, for instance, have formed a joint venture to produce eight/nine speed transmissions.

Automatic transmissions will become more and more in demand as they become more and more efficient although the percentage increase will be small due to the high percentage of automatics that now exists.
Demand for manual transmissions in small sports cars may continue to be in demand but I suspect a diminishing demand. I have, in addition to the BRZ, a vehicle with a six-speed automatic transmission and am very impressed by its function. Still, I would be interested in the ratio of automatic:manual in the BRZ. I suspect about 2:10.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still, I would be interested in the ratio of manual:automatics in the BRZ. I suspect about 2:10.
If you mean 20% manual 80% Auto...you aren't even close. The BRZ is a 'back to basics' sports car, most are sold with Manual Transmissions due to the fact its still much more engaging, even though the auto is decent in this car. IMO - Get the Manual!!! Its a Freaking Sports Car!

AutoGuide Article from Nov 2012:
The vehicle with the highest percentage of manual sales so far this year is the brand new Subaru BRZ. Seventy percent of BRZs sold are equipped with a manual transmission.
“The manuals are running very high,” Subaru product communications boss, Dominick Infante said. 52% of FR-S are sold with Manual.

It sounds as if they think it will start to shift towards autos...but it will never be sold 80% Auto tranny on this car, if it does...then Manuals will truely die as sad death.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just picked up an auto yesterday...had my choice and decided I liked the fuel mileage and novelty of the auto/paddle shifter setup. Wife likes it better too since she doesn't like driving a manual...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sorry you had to spend so much time on my comment. I was trying to expand on the increasing growth of the automatic transmission. I had my ratio definition reversed and have corrected my earlier post #6. Thanks for the correction...

The automatic transmission use in the BRZ/FR-S is much higher than I thought based upon the references you have made - 30% automatics for BRZ and almost 50% automatics for the FR-S. A "slow death"? Looks like it. The 1:1 ratio for the FR-S is surprising.

If you mean 20% manual 80% Auto...you aren't even close. The BRZ is a 'back to basics' sports car, most are sold with Manual Transmissions due to the fact its still much more engaging, even though the auto is decent in this car. IMO - Get the Manual!!! Its a Freaking Sports Car!

AutoGuide Article from Nov 2012:
The vehicle with the highest percentage of manual sales so far this year is the brand new Subaru BRZ. Seventy percent of BRZs sold are equipped with a manual transmission.
“The manuals are running very high,” Subaru product communications boss, Dominick Infante said. 52% of FR-S are sold with Manual.

It sounds as if they think it will start to shift towards autos...but it will never be sold 80% Auto tranny on this car, if it does...then Manuals will truely die as sad death.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Eight and nine-speed automatics are available now (or soon will be) on some Chrysler vehicles as well as non-domestic brands. In addition, Ford and General Motors, for instance, have formed a joint venture to produce eight/nine speed transmissions.

Automatic transmissions will become more and more in demand as they become more and more efficient although the percentage increase will be small due to the high percentage of automatics that now exists.
Demand for manual transmissions in small sports cars may continue to be in demand but I suspect a diminishing demand. I have, in addition to the BRZ, a vehicle with a six-speed automatic transmission and am very impressed by its function. Still, I would be interested in the ratio of manual:automatics in the BRZ. I suspect about 2:10.
just a little correction, GM and Ford will do a nine and ten speed transmission

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry you had to spend so much time on my comment. I was trying to expand on the increasing growth of the automatic transmission. I had my ratio definition reversed and have corrected my earlier post #6. Thanks for the correction...

The automatic transmission use in the BRZ/FR-S is much higher than I thought based upon the references you have made - 30% automatics for BRZ and almost 50% automatics for the FR-S. A "slow death"? Looks like it. The 1:1 ratio for the FR-S is surprising.

No Worries..spent 2 min pulling up and article I previously read and had remembered.

Correct, If the FR-S is already at 50:50 - Manuals are sadly going away, driving will never be the same...

·
Registered
56 Posts
We got the automatic because my wife doesn't like rowing a gear box. I was skeptical; my Legacy GT was manual as is my WRX, but I have to say with the BRZ in Sport mode, using the paddle shifters is just fine, I can always hit the right gear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't driven the manual yet so I can't compare the two, but my impression after driving the auto was "Meh." That's simply my personal opinion. If you have/like the auto then rock out with your, well, you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago a friend of my told me the difference between Mac people and PC people was that Mac people talked about their computers and PC people talked about what they did with their computers. The transmission debate often sounds similar. In my garage I have a Corvette convertible and a '63 Triumph TR-4, both stick shift. They are both absolutely wonderful cars that transform sunny back roads into nirvana. But parked in front of my house is an automatic BRZ that I drive to work every day in downtown Philadelphia. I enjoy the BRZ for at least an hour every day, while my two flashier vehicles wait for those all too rare sunny back roads. I'm having more fun in the automatic.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I've driven both the manual and the auto, and with a manual gearbox this good, I wouldn't dare pay $1100 to take that away. At least the auto reacts relatively well, but it's significantly slower especially off the line. Plus, it involves the driver less in the experience. The manual is far more rewarding to drive, and the ratios keep the engine in its powerband easier. The auto is rated for better EPA ratings, but so far I've averaged 28-30 mpg in mixed driving with a lead foot. I also question the durability of autos since I will be tracking my car often. Bottom line- the auto is a decent unit that will satisfy casual drivers. Purists on the other hand, need not apply.

·
Registered
865 Posts
"Purists"​

What, I must ask, is the difference between a 'purist' and an enthusiast?​

I've driven both the manual and the auto, and with a manual gearbox this good, I wouldn't dare pay $1100 to take that away. At least the auto reacts relatively well, but it's significantly slower especially off the line. Plus, it involves the driver less in the experience. The manual is far more rewarding to drive, and the ratios keep the engine in its powerband easier. The auto is rated for better EPA ratings, but so far I've averaged 28-30 mpg in mixed driving with a lead foot. I also question the durability of autos since I will be tracking my car often. Bottom line- the auto is a decent unit that will satisfy casual drivers. Purists on the other hand, need not apply.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.