Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this isn't the best spot, but wasn't sure where exactly to post this.

The question is simply: What is the best tire size to improve the handling performance of the BRZ? Yes the stock tires are fun, but traction could definitely be improved on.

And then that leads to the question of what size rims would/should I switch to?

So, what's the best tire size on the stock rims?
What's the best tire size, and what size rims would I need?

I know there is a lot of room for thought on this, and there is probably no single answer, but I'm curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When TRD upgraded a special edition GT86 for the UK market they went up to a 225/40x 18 on an 18x7.5 wheel. I'm very happy with my 225/45x17 on my 17x7.5 OZ Aleggeritta wheels.

The Blue edition released by Subaru stuck with 17x7 for their top model.

Smaller wheels are lighter and so are narrower wheels. It is usually a mistake to fit larger wheels rather than better tires when searching better handling.

Spend your money on light wheels and extreme performance tires if in search of handling improvements. Fitting larger wheels and wider tires won't get you there.

Right now Michelin super sports rule the roost with the latest offerings from Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear F1 and Continental ExtremeContact right up there. If you aren't concerned about wet grip then Michelin makes the Sport Cup and Pirelli the Corsa. Dunlop, Toyo, Yokohama, Bridgestone also make extreme tires.

17x7 to 17x8 will be enough wheel and 225 or 235 enough tire width if you get the really good tire.

Anything bigger is just for show and will reduce the pleasure you can get from actually driving the car.

Be aware that the stock wheel and tire is the most fun if learning about handling is your objective. The stock wheel is fairly light, correct size and reasonably good looking. The Michelin Primacy tire is very light and grips well for the class of tire it is. Subaru did a good job of selecting a practical and fun tire for the type of car this is intended to be. Move up only when you feel you've grown up !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
235/45-17 will fit but will not be optimum on the stock size wheels...you really need an 8" wide wheel to make that work well.
I would pay a tire shop to mount one up for you so you can see what it looks like, I think you will agree that the sidewalls are
bowed in towards the centerline of the wheel too much for the tire to work well. Just my opinion, but look at the engineering data
for the tire and the size wheel a 235/45 wants to fit on and decide for yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts