Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new driver and my first car was the BRZ. I had not known about the break in period and I drove the car fairly hard. Drifting every once in a while and bringing it over 4k RPM all the time. I probably red lined a couple times. I currently have 2,700 miles on the car and no problems. Could I have caused any damage either in the short term or damage that will haunt me later in the cars life? And if so then what?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nothing can be done now, if the engine was damaged it can't be fixed now.

The only damage would be excessive ring wear which shows up later in the engine's life.

However, these are very robust engines designed to run up to 7,500 rpm repeatedly and at full throttle once they are properly run in. Whether your engine has overheated the rings or not depends on for how long on each occasion you exceeded 4,000 rpm or redlined the engine or applied full throttle. Likely you have done no damage to your engine or any damage will only show up at high mileage as excessive oil consumption. There's no useful way to tell that now.

Also, as the mileage accumulates the break in progresses. So, if your aggressive driving mainly occurred after say 500 miles then likely very little untoward wear occurred, maybe none.

As I say, it is now too late to worry about this. If you are worried then a compression test, wet and dry, might show the slight drop in compression pressure resulting from premature ring wear but I doubt very much that anything would show up yet. Besides, don't ask your dealer to do that or they may try to void your warranty! Just drive it and forget about it.

Finally, one slight benefit to breaking the engine in hard is that it should pull pretty strongly and cleanly to redline. A well broken in BRZ engine will accelerate this car more quickly than the factory figures, sometimes a whole second can be cut from your 0-60 time with a well broken in engine. Your engine will certainly be well broken in from your description!

·
Registered
285 Posts
No, you haven't done anything bad. Although when you exceeded 4k rpm you may have killed a kitten. So you should feel bad about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! I was very worried, now I will drive with ease! Yea i was thinkin about callin the dealer but quickly thought that was stupid.

And yes by the way, I was worried but I think I did a very good job breaking it in. I beat the shit out of it and now it drives like a beast. For the first 500 miles i thought the BRZ was a lot slower then I expected. But once i started driving it hard like I usually drive, it felt like a different car!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thank you guys! I was very worried, now I will drive with ease! Yea i was thinkin about callin the dealer but quickly thought that was stupid.

And yes by the way, I was worried but I think I did a very good job breaking it in. I beat the shit out of it and now it drives like a beast. For the first 500 miles i thought the BRZ was a lot slower then I expected. But once i started driving it hard like I usually drive, it felt like a different car!

The engines are built quite tight from new. Others have confirmed that the car accelerates noticably more quickly once the engine starts to loosen up. I've got 3,500 miles on mine and it's just now starting to feel loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to trying to really understand cars and have had my BRZ for two weeks. I've been worried I've driven the car too hard since I'm not used to the feel of this clutch and have revved a little high in first gear. Or it just seems that way since the engine is so loud compared to my last car! Have touched 4k rpm a few times but shift mostly around 3500. I'm way smoother and more quiet than during my test drives. This engine is really loud compared to my previous car. I thought I did something wrong because as of last weekend I'm getting the rough idle I'm starting to read about. Sounds like a Diesel engine which I'm not happy with.
I want to break the car in "right" and get the most out of the engine. I'm reading more about sealing the rings. I've mostly done city driving, stop n go at stop lights for my short work commute. First gear feels really unstable to me since I'm still getting used to it. I hope after 1k miles I feel more confident in this thing!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Almost everyone has trouble with the clutch pedal on this car. The factory setting is too high off the floor for convenient use. Also, the clutch plate feels fairly aggressive for a plain jane street car.

You can lower the clutch pedal by about one half inch which helps. My dealer did this for me but you can do it yourself. Search this forum for the how to. Be careful to adjust both the pedal bite point as well as pedal height if you do it yourself.

As miles accumulate the clutch plate will bed in and take up smooths out. You will also find the correct technique to compensate for the poor clutch pedal position, even lowered it still isn't very good.

The engine intake incorporates an artificial noise maker which many of us disconnect. There are several ways to do this. Search for the methods. I disconnected and plugged the small diameter noise tube where it is clipped to the right front strut tower, low down. Some just cap the end of that tube where it enters the cabin in the passenger side (right side) footwell right under the front edge of the carpet, remove the floor mat and fold back the carpet and sound proofing and you'll see the 1/2 tube end in a rubber grommet. This car has very little sound deadening so disabling the noisemaker won't make much difference but it does help. Driving with the windows wide open helps also as the wind noise is preferable to the mechanical racket!

The noise maker is a silly idea but some kids like it.

Once you get 1,000 miles on the odometer then drive the car very hard (in a safe place eh?) and I do mean hard. This is a very high performance street engine built to rev to 7,500 rpm at full throttle every time you drive it. You can't hurt it by using all the power it's got. 200 bhp isn't a lot but it is a lot from only 2 litres. Supercharger kits get 280 bhp from the same engine with no modifications and turbo installs have been getting more. These are tough little engines in tough little cars. Drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Subieman. The noisemaker you speak of, that's the rough idle clunky sound? I'm now finally hearing the crickets others on YouTube recorded as well.

My BRZ has 560 miles now so I'm stretching it a little more (went to 5k rpm twice) and it's really feeling good. I can't wait to drive it hard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you should take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles, but after that? Drive it like you stole it :) There are lot's of people that subscribe to the "break them in hard" approach. It's how race cars get "broken in" :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
The noise maker really isn't artificial as it pipes intake sound from the intake into the cabin, artificial sound to me means it re produces it from the speakers aka BMW and Mercedes. Also, I noticed my engine felt considerably smoother and stronger after the first oil change, which for me was 1800 km. And to the OP, your engine is likely fine. But if your going to bang it off the redline all the time, I would consider maybe oil grade up like Mobil 1 0W-30, which will help absorb the shock loading of drifting it and constantly banging it off the redline. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The way the sound of the intake transfers to the cabin is via a diaphragm that vibrates sympathetically to the intake. That is then piped down a 3/4 inch tube to the cabin.....
It's just my opinion....But there is nothing "natural" sounding about what you here from this device in the cabin.
I am much happier deleting it and putting on a perrin intake tube and drop in K&N filter. Sounds much more natural to me. Again....my two cents.

More on topic.......
I bought my car 300 miles from home. 19 miles on it. Drove thru Atlanta Ga. rush hour traffic up to the mountains of North Carolina with no particular concern except not taking it over 4K rpm.

When it got to about 700 miles I took to 4K and did slow rev ups and then let it decel back down. I took that to 5K at 900 miles and did the same thing. Not free revving it, but driving it up to 5K and then letting off and letting it decel back down.
At 1K miles or so I took it to 6K rpm and did the same a few times and now have 1300 miles on it and it feels stronger every day.
I'm not a big fan of the drive train noise of this motor...but it is a little power house for the size and weight of it.

Had a (Beautiful!!!) titanium silver RX-8 with after market exhaust pull past me today...I followed him to some back roads where my little silver "Roo" spanked his A$$!!! I was surprised...as was he!! So...I guess the break in is going well! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
The noise maker really isn't artificial as it pipes intake sound from the intake into the cabin, artificial sound to me means it re produces it from the speakers aka BMW and Mercedes. Also, I noticed my engine felt considerably smoother and stronger after the first oil change, which for me was 1800 km. And to the OP, your engine is likely fine. But if your going to bang it off the redline all the time, I would consider maybe oil grade up like Mobil 1 0W-30, which will help absorb the shock loading of drifting it and constantly banging it off the redline. My 2 cents.
It's artificial because it makes noises the engine doesn't make by itself. The device does make noise mechanically by amplifying pressure waves in the intake tract but the sound it makes using those pressure waves is generated by the device. The pressure waves themselves don't sound like that.

The idea is to add a sense of excitement inside the cabin. The device succeeds in that respect. But, like drinking Red Bull will stimulate your senses, that is only tolerable for the young ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts