Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around some (very little) so I'm sorry if this topic has been talked about or possibly beaten to death...

I got my 2013 new to me BRZ this summer and have been shopping around for something to drive over the winters here in the land of black ice and 35mph light breezes. Well yesterday time ran out and winter showed up with me not having a winter driver. So, I braved the weather and attempted to take the BRZ to work. I made it 3 blocks before turning around and having my wife drive me in her Jeep. I know how to drive in winter and I know how to drive stick in the winter. I learned to drive in the winter driving a 86 Cutless V8 long before the days of anti-lock breaks and traction control but the BRZ was horrid!

So to the point, as anyone driven a BRZ with/without snow tires through a REAL winter where snow doesn't melt? If so any recommendations/warnings/horror stories? Should I give up on finding a winter driver and just get a second set of wheels and tires?

Thanks!

Derik

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove last Feb in a snowstorm from PA to nnj. The 2013 brz had fusion hp all season tired and did awesome.
Going 20-25 mph has some slipping but on highway going 45, tires worked great. The only downside is more road noise with these tires.
I just traded in for a 2017 so will let you know how the stock tires do this winter. Loving the 2017

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How has the 2017 been in the winter? I miss the BRZ and am regretting my choice of buying a beater car for the winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why do you regret your decision. I just picked up a new BRZ and am fearful the real wheel drive and weight of the car will make if difficult to drive in NE snow. Thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ancient thread here, bumped thanks to a mention in the emailed newsletter.

I've now in my sixth winter with my BRZ in upstate NY which can get some pretty serious snow occasionally.

I run Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL tires in a 205/55/16 size; the narrower tire cuts through the snow a little better. This will be my last winter on these tires since they're getting old and worn now but I can definitely stop and turn much better than my wife's Outback which is on all-season tires. You definitely can't accelerate like an AWD car but it gets through the snow OK; the limited-slip definitely helps. I do leave the traction control half-off (or all off if I'm feeling playful.) I do have about 80 lbs of cat litter in the trunk but this is the first winter I've done that.

I only drove it in the snow once, driving back from Florida in 2012 through Superstorm Sandy, and it was definitely treacherous.

I had two STIs and a WRX before the BRZ and with snow tires, they were in a different league in the snow, but the BRZ is just fine and I don't have any problem driving in through heavy snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my 5th winter on Michelin Xice3 tires 205/55/16 here in Central Ontario. These are excellent in all conditions. Of course if the snow is deep we take my girlfriend's Forester also with Xice3s. The BRZ is fun on hard packed snow. My 2wd Jeep Comanche was scary. Hope to get to Minden to see the ice racers this winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts