Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's avoided an accident or damage because our BRZs have fantastic handling???
Share your "saved" story here.

Here's mine:

I was driving at 70+ mph in the right lane of the freeway preparing to take a long sweeping exit ramp to the right.
When the car in front of me suddenly changed lanes to the left, I saw a large piece of what appeared to be sheet metal in the middle of my lane. It had several bent, sharp edges pointed upward in perfect position to destroy tires and/or sheet metal if hit.
Traffic was to my left and the piece was too large to take a chance on straddling. I envisioned severe damage within seconds.
There was some room to the right before I'd hit a concrete barrier, so I juked rapidly right to within inches of the barrier and then left again after passing the sharp metal debris.
The tires held like glue [unexpected for the stock rubber] and I was quickly back on course and out of danger.
My driver's side tires did run over a flattened piece of the metal and made a loud sound, but later inspection revealed NO damage!

A lesser car would never have held the road for the evasive maneuver.
I'm SO glad I was driving my BRZ and not the SUV or hatchback.
Damage from running over the metal or crashing into the concrete barrier would have been almost assured.

BRZ handling saves the day. That's my story; what's yours???

Reactions: 4subysdeep

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not quite "save the day", but I did avoid a parking lot collision. I turned into a parking lot and started down the first aisle to my left immediately off the street when a lady put her car in reverse and started coming toward me. I could either sit there and let her hit me or reverse and take the chance that someone turning off the street would hit me. Instead, I saw a gap to the left of the lady's car, stabbed the accelerator, and shot through it.
After I parked SHE was waiting to holler at ME. "This is not the Indy 500, Sir!"

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"This is not the Indy 500, Sir!"
No, but apparently it WAS [almost] a bumper-car ride at the local amusement park. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe not the handling, but lightweight+braking for sure:

Driving home the other day in the lefthand lane (highway separated by a jersey barrier), cars to my right but no one in front of me; doing about 60mph approaching an intersection (green light). A lady coming the opposite direction (otherside of the road), drifts left while in the intersection; and BANG hits the jersey barrier (where its angled as a ramp) square on, LAUNCHES airborne, completely clears the barrier and lands HEAD-ON in my lane... I've got nowhere to go but get on the brakes and pray that she's conscious enough to brake as well...

Thankfully I was able to stop about a foot short of her. Her excuse to the police; her doctor put her on a new med...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This story doesn't really have anything to do with handling, but I did avoid a very serious crash with my BRZ. Outside of Pebble Beach where I go to school, there's a very treacherous left turn because most people don't turn on their blinker, so you have to wait to see if they are going to turn left into the lane next to you or are going to quickly accelerate onto the onramp if they are going straight. I, very very foolishly, decided to turn when i saw that the very large truck was turning instead of going straight. So I pulled out in to the road and I look left and within ten feet of me is a black Toyota Venza speeding through that I could not see behind the truck. I stomped on the gas pedal, and sped through, not even taking the time to shift out of first. I narrowly missed the car by barely a few feet. I hit the gas so hard the tail stepped out. Single scariest moment of my life.

PS. Something smelled like it had been burnt, I'm assuming because I went too fast in first. The car has less than 1000 miles on it. Anyone know what this could have been?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe not the handling, but lightweight+braking for sure:

Driving home the other day in the lefthand lane (highway separated by a jersey barrier), cars to my right but no one in front of me; doing about 60mph approaching an intersection (green light). A lady coming the opposite direction (otherside of the road), drifts left while in the intersection; and BANG hits the jersey barrier (where its angled as a ramp) square on, LAUNCHES airborne, completely clears the barrier and lands HEAD-ON in my lane... I've got nowhere to go but get on the brakes and pray that she's conscious enough to brake as well...

Thankfully I was able to stop about a foot short of her. Her excuse to the police; her doctor put her on a new med...
Damn that's straight out of Hollywood! I've seen a lot of stupidity in my years but nothing quite like that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
70 Posts
This story doesn't really have anything to do with handling, but I did avoid a very serious crash with my BRZ. Outside of Pebble Beach where I go to school, there's a very treacherous left turn because most people don't turn on their blinker, so you have to wait to see if they are going to turn left into the lane next to you or are going to quickly accelerate onto the onramp if they are going straight. I, very very foolishly, decided to turn when i saw that the very large truck was turning instead of going straight. So I pulled out in to the road and I look left and within ten feet of me is a black Toyota Venza speeding through that I could not see behind the truck. I stomped on the gas pedal, and sped through, not even taking the time to shift out of first. I narrowly missed the car by barely a few feet. I hit the gas so hard the tail stepped out. Single scariest moment of my life.

PS. Something smelled like it had been burnt, I'm assuming because I went too fast in first. The car has less than 1000 miles on it. Anyone know what this could have been?
Wow - glad to hear you got out of that close shave.
With less than 1000 miles on your car I'd guess the smell is probably the same smell discussed in other threads here and other forums. If I recall correctly I think it was determined to be a sealer or protectant burning off (cosmoline?) Mine had it and eventually it went away around 3000 miles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow - glad to hear you got out of that close shave.
With less than 1000 miles on your car I'd guess the smell is probably the same smell discussed in other threads here and other forums. If I recall correctly I think it was determined to be a sealer or protectant burning off (cosmoline?) Mine had it and eventually it went away around 3000 miles.
Either that or your clutch :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Either that or your clutch :D
Unlikely unless you had the clutch pedal partly depressed and the clutch was slipping.
I'd give more credence to a protectant burning off.

I don't know if cosmoline is still used when shipping cars.
First used during WWII to protect weapons and vehicles and well into the '80s on most cars shipped from Japan; cosmoline is the generic name for a brown waxy petroleum substance that was heated to the melting point and then sprayed onto corrosion-prone surfaces.
When cool and hardened, cosmoline seals surfaces from the atmosphere and salt spray to prevent corrosion.
Back in the day, the undercarriage and even the body [including painted surfaces] of shipped vehicles were covered in the stuff during shipping. Removal required spraying with kerosene followed by a hot water rinse. Definitely rough on the paint.
Today's environmental regulations probably limit or prohibit its use.
I well remember taking delivery of a new Japanese car in the late 1970s that still had some cosmoline on the undercarriage. It did indeed stink until fully burned off.

Bottom line; I think that your car is fine. Even if some minor clutch wear occurred, better that than crunched sheet metal!

Reactions: JSBRZ
1 - 10 of 10 Posts