Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a WRX. It was actually how I found out about the BRZ. (Went to Subaru's web site to build and price a WRX). Is anyone struggling to decide which to buy? WRX (5 door) would be more practical from a utility/passenger standpoint. The 5 doors are hard to find though. Limited trim are both very close in price, but the BRZ comes with Nav standard. Gas mileage is better in the BRZ and I would imagine insurance to be less. What else am I overlooking?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Power differential. AWD vs RWD. Coupe vs Hatchback. I think the BRZ is geared more towards a driver's car where you feel in tune with the car. WRX is not so much in my opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The BRZ is not going to be practical for most people. I am 25, single, and looking for a true driving machine, so the BRZ fits me well. If I had a family or did more outdoor activities or saw myself taking a lot of passengers in my daily life than I would definitely go WRX. You just need to figure out if it fits your lifestyle. I still might get a WRX if the BRZ takes too long or I get some mark-up BS from the dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know I think the WRX is a driver's car also... completely different feel like comparing apples with oranges but nonetheless there still both fruits. But if your really looking into WRX's I would wait it out till the new 2014 models come out.. about 200 lbs lighter, better mileage due to switching to new FB20 platform rather than the current EJ25 rumors about a 2 door coupe version as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
As we have a WRX and soon will add the BRZ, if you need the room you can't go wrong with the WRX. The BRZ is really a two seater with parcel shelves or in our case a great place for the dog !

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm out of the stereotype realm, as I am married with 1 kid and will get it ;)
the kid can fit back there until he/she becomes a teenager :D i personally prefer the brz over the wrx because of mpg, and appearance. im not an extreme outdoors guy, but i do play a lot of sports. occasionally i bike,hike,camp etc. etc. but that is what friends and girlfriends vehicles are for :D at some point i do plan on road tripping with the brz and thats where the mpg will come in the picture. i also live in houston so everything is flat, and there is no need for AWD. like everyone is going to tell you it just depends on how the car fits into your daily life, and what you think would be the best fit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm actually trading in my WRX for the BRZ. I have absolutely no complaints at all about the WRX, just seems like the BRZ would fit my lifestyle better and it looks really effin sweet! That's why I won't be totally bummed out if I end up backing out of the BRZ purchase if my dealer tries to add a mark up or it takes forever to get here or whatever. The WRX is amazing in snow though, so if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow then maybe you want to go the with AWD WRX. I drove from NC to NY in December of 2010 during a blizzard with summer tires on the WRX (never doing that again!!) and it was smooth sailing all the way. Even at the toll plaza at the end of the Jersey Turnpike, which wasn't plowed and was filled with tractor trailer trucks and SUV's stuck, I got through it. I got stuck once but was able to get free in less than a minute.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the kid can fit back there until he/she becomes a teenager :D
unfortunately since car seats are required these days, a lot of kids won't fit well in a BRZ, since the cars seats are so bulky, and the kid's feet will be kicking the back of the front seat. Maybe it's ok in emergencies.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Corvette or Camaro
Finesse or Brute Force
Stiletto or Sword
Grilled or Fried

Both get the job done, but each goes about it a different way. You need to decide which way fits your preference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm actually trading in my WRX for the BRZ. I have absolutely no complaints at all about the WRX, just seems like the BRZ would fit my lifestyle better and it looks really effin sweet! That's why I won't be totally bummed out if I end up backing out of the BRZ purchase if my dealer tries to add a mark up or it takes forever to get here or whatever. The WRX is amazing in snow though, so if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow then maybe you want to go the with AWD WRX. I drove from NC to NY in December of 2010 during a blizzard with summer tires on the WRX (never doing that again!!) and it was smooth sailing all the way. Even at the toll plaza at the end of the Jersey Turnpike, which wasn't plowed and was filled with tractor trailer trucks and SUV's stuck, I got through it. I got stuck once but was able to get free in less than a minute.
I am in the same process. Trading my wrx for a brz. I like my wrx but it is hard on gaz and after 2 wrx i want to try something else. And for sports and snow, my wife has a forester so the brz is a good complement

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I am in the same process. Trading my wrx for a brz. I like my wrx but it is hard on gaz and after 2 wrx i want to try something else. And for sports and snow, my wife has a forester so the brz is a good complement
BRZ does take premium gas, but gets good MPG numbers. I hope gas wont be an issue for you with the BRZ

·
Registered
598 Posts
THe WRX is a driver's car and a good family car. Either way it works great. It's a lot more functional than a BRZ IMO.

Personally I think the hatchback looks ugly. Prefer the Sedan much more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think that I am going to stick with the BRZ. I just had to consider all my options.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The wrx is somethign everyone has, and when someone with an STi drives beside you, you will feel like shit because you have the lower end wannabe sti. meanwhile when you have the BRZ atleast theres nothing ontop of it for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having driven a WRX or STI since 2001 and having driven a BRZ recently (unfortunately, an automatic), I can say that they drive very differently, as you would expect. Note that you don't see the reviewers (or Subaru) putting the WRX as a competitor to the BRZ - because it's not.

Put it this way: The WRX and STI are RALLY cars... the BRZ is a SPORTS car. Rally cars are built for all terrain, they generally sit up a bit higher, they have the AWD feel, they don't feel particularly small or low... they basically feel like what they are, which is a basic economy-car body with a ton of high performance gear underneath, but still the same basic body and driving position as an Impreza. The BRZ is a purpose-built sports car; low and snug, balanced, responsive, and all the other stuff you're read in the reviews.

Someone driving them back to back will have a lot more to choose than just 2 or 4 doors, AWD or RWD.

For me, I love rally cars, WRC, and have really enjoyed driving the WRX and two STIs, but after 11 years, I'm ready to drive something a little different on a day-to-day basis. I will miss blasting around in the snow in the STI (about as much fun as you can have behind a wheel!) but am really excited about getting my BRZ. I will be giving up a bit of practicality, but it should be "just enough", and I will have two child seats in the back. This car is another good reason to have no more than two kids. :) I'm also looking forward to getting more than 21.5 mpg!

I will say that, in my opinion, there isn't a car you can buy for any price that can match the combination of practicality, safety, and performance in all weather than a 5-door STI can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wrx is somethign everyone has, and when someone with an STi drives beside you, you will feel like shit because you have the lower end wannabe sti. meanwhile when you have the BRZ atleast theres nothing ontop of it for now.
Disagree. WRX with stage 2 gives the same power as the STi. Plenty of people that can afford the STi but just get the WRX because they are smarter with their money. I've had my 02 WRX for over 10 years now. It's still a super fun car to drive. The acceleration is mind boggling for a little 2.0L. The WRX is also NOT something everyone has. WRX's are much more rare than a Taurus, Camry, Accord, Mustang or any other car for that matter. I might see another WRX every few days. I see 10-15 Mustangs every single day.

If you recall the 02-03 WRX won car of the year back to back. It's a great car that does everything really well verses a car that can only do one thing great.

·
Registered
397 Posts
BRZ is a sports car which is has an what ia rated one of the best handeling cars which should b put up agiasnt other top handeling cars regardless of it being rwd or fwd, one examole is the iintegra which was put as an amazing handeling car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts