Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first car on Saturday, a new rally blue 2015 BRZ premium!! I've been driving stick for about a year now, and had not learned of rev matching until today. I usually just downshift by pushing the clutch, shifting down one gear, and slowly letting up on the clutch, so that the RPMs shoot up to about 3000-3400. After reading all of these articles on rev matching, I have a new found paranoia that i've been down shifting incorrectly and messing up my clutch/engine during the break in period.

So First: is this method of downshifting bad? I've been doing it on highway exit ramps and just driving around town for about 400 miles on my new car. As usual, the car community seems split on the matter on other forums, with the purists saying that its horrible for the clutch and wears your engine, yet others argue that it barely makes a different. I'm now gonna learn how to rev match, but regardless this will be useful information.

Second: Should I really be worried about resting my hand on the shift knob? We did it in my Dad's 01' 325 i for 14 years and never had a problem. Again, its hard to tell if some of these forum posts are true or if they are precautionary tales.

Lastly: any advice for me and my new BRZ? I'm taking the 4000 rpm precaution for the first 2-3k mile break in period and only pushing her hard on rare occasions.

Just gotta say that so far i LOVE this car. It's extremely fun to drive, and the '15 seems to be much smoother shifting into first gear than the used '13s that i test drove. Rally blue was a great choice too, gives the car so much character. let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
483 Posts
Rev matching is a good idea but many drivers don't. Clutch wear is reduced if you rev match.

Never rest your hand on the shift knob unless you're actually shifting. There's no reason to do this and you risk loading the shift fork bearings. Just don't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Golly. Learned to drive on a stick. Mid 1960's. Never considered anything like rev matching until I started driving on track. For normal day to day driving/commuting, I don't think there is anything to worry about. Doesn't warrant thinking it to death. NOW, on track, when you need to get to a lower gear before you need it, under power, that's another situation completely. If the latter doesn't apply, don't be too concerned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts