Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BRZ on order but there is no definite ETA and I'm looking around at alternatives. The 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Coupe seems like a pretty strong contender. I've never had an opportunity to drive a BRZ, only sat in one, but the Genesis is more readily available and its easy to get a test drive.

The exterior appearance of the two cars are very similar in my opinion, other than the grill and the hood the body lines are much the same. The interior of the BRZ seems a little more refined but not much. The Genesis is a somewhat larger car and a little heavier, but its nimble on the road and handles well. The engine in both cars is 2 liter but the 2013 Genesis has a great turbocharger and 265 hp, the acceleration is excellent whereas the BRZ may be a little anemic. Looks like the Genesis gets about 20% less mpg than the BRZ. The Genesis has a better warranty. They are about the same price. The Hyundai brand has less cache' than Subaru.

So please help me out here if you have actually driven both cars. Are there some truly distinguishing features that make the BRZ stand out?

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
First of all, it's not "a little heavier" it's A LOT heavier by over 700 lbs. I haven't driven a BRZ either but I have driven a Gen Coupe. It feels as heavy as it is, the steering is lifeless, and shifter is terrible. There is a lot of turbo lag and when boost does come on, it comes on in a non-linear way making it hard to drive smoothly. Also, the interior is full of hard plastic. The Gen Coupe looks pretty good until you look inside it, and then looks worse once you drive it. It's hard not to see it's a Hyundai.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I drove an automatic genesis and a manual Mustang GT yesterday. Still waiting on a call to go drive a manual genesis. I was definitely impressed by the genesis but still love my BRZ. The genesis was acting up since by the end of the test drive it was running out of gas. It ran out 10 feet away from the dealer's parking lot lol. The gas problem interfered when I tried to use the paddle shifters. The most distinguishing feature is the way the BRZ handles and just how fun it is to drive it. I let my friend drive my BRZ since he ordered one and said the same thing. He also test drove the other two cars with me. I would definitely suggest that you try to test drive both. In my opinion, the Mustang is in a completely separate category and if I was rich I would have a BRZ and Mustang in my garage. My disclaimer is that I went from a Nissan Sentra 1.8S to the BRZ which is why I'm still test driving cars since I dont have a lot of experience with cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I test-drove a 2011 Gen Coupe 3.8 Track. It was quick and handled reasonably well. My main complaint was the seat - very uncomfortable, even after only a 15 minute test drive. The seat and the overall vehicle length (17 or so inches longer than the BRZ) were deal breakers for me. Funny, the backseat headroom is worse that the BRZ even given the longer length. The 3.8 is definitely heavy. I saw a Gen Coupe run at an SCCA autocross event - the car handled nicely with a skilled driver. It appears that for 2013 Hyundai has made some improvements in the seat and handling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking the same way as op. no idea when my BRZ limited will be in that I ordered in April and seeing cars that could have been matched with preorders going other places for sale doesn't give me much confidence Subaru has their customers in mind. I drove 2013 Gen Coupe V6 last week and was impressed. It's about 3K more than Subaru but offers more power (345 hp), longer warranty, and some nicer std equipment. I'm thinking I will give up on BRZ this weekend and buy the Gen Coupe.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having at least sat in both cars I can say that the seats are comparable, at least for the 2013 Genesis year. There's a little more dash padding, etc, in the BRZ I agree but neither car has a particularly well tricked out interior in my opinion. I guess there could be less headroom in the back seat of the Genesis but there is definitely more leg room. Almost nobody can sit in the rear seat of a BRZ, whereas there are some adult humans that can occupy that position in the Genesis.

I realize that the BRZ will probably handle better around corners. On a straightaway the Genesis would kill it. I'm looking at both cars with automatic transmission, this will be a daily driver that is frequently in urban traffic for me, and the 2013 Genesis has a very smooth 8-speed. They made a lot of significant improvements in the 2013. But also its tempting to wait an indeterminate amount of time to compare test drives with the BRZ.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, it's not "a little heavier" it's A LOT heavier by over 700 lbs. I haven't driven a BRZ either but I have driven a Gen Coupe. It feels as heavy as it is, the steering is lifeless, and shifter is terrible. There is a lot of turbo lag and when boost does come on, it comes on in a non-linear way making it hard to drive smoothly. Also, the interior is full of hard plastic. The Gen Coupe looks pretty good until you look inside it, and then looks worse once you drive it. It's hard not to see it's a Hyundai.
Looking at the specs I think the Genesis is actually "only" 600 lbs heavier (2762 curb weight versus 3362 for 2 liter manual). In my experience, with the 2013 turbo which is vastly better than earlier versions, the turbo lag was only noticeable from a standing start. Neither Subaru nor Hyundai is known for their great interiors, both are cheap-looking compared to an ordinary Honda or Toyota sedan/SUV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Haven't driven a 2013 Genesis so I can't comment on any improvements for 2013. But I've test driven a 2012 and a 2011. Even though they were just test drives, they were enough to say I agree w/ first response above. Save yourself a lot of regret later on and go with the BRZ. Have had my BRZ for a couple weeks, hands down a better vehicle if you care about anything else besides horsepower. Unless the 2013 Genesis is a completely different car! The longer Hyundai warranty you'd probably need too.

But best thing for you to do is read some of the recent comparisons in the auto press, Road & Track, or Car & Driver, being the last one if I remember right. That will convince you more than members' feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can say the lag was disappointing on the 2013 Genesis 2.0. I don't have any experience with turbos and how to spool them up so it could be that. But when I punch it I just want to go. Just not used to that delay in power.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I cnat say from personnel experience on either car but Motor Trend did anvreat write up comparison between the BRZ/FRS/Miata/Mustang V6/GTI last month. I would highly recommend reading the article.
[/url]
I had read that article, and its puzzling. Have you driven a Mustang? Those cars are the epitome of cheap econo-box interior, not a word of criticism in the review. But they rated it better than the Genesis, who's interior they slammed and I can tell you it is actually better. I have been in both those cars. Look at them and compare for yourself. Their only substantial criticism of the Genesis was turbo lag below 2k RPM. Duh! So keep the revs above 2k.

Would you really prefer a VW GTI to anything in that list? Have you driven a Miata? They may corner somewhat better than Genesis or Mustang but the car is extremely tiny and the interior is completely unremarkable, yet it gets a better rating in spite of being a total wimp in horsepower. I haven't tried the "unobtanium" vehicles FR-S and BRZ but that review left me completely suspicious. I would like to hear from forum members who have actually driven both BRZ and 2013 Genesis.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had read that article, and its puzzling. Have you driven a Mustang? Those cars are the epitome of cheap econo-box interior, not a word of criticism in the review. But they rated it better than the Genesis, who's interior they slammed and I can tell you it is actually better. I have been in both those cars. Look at them and compare for yourself. Their only substantial criticism of the Genesis was turbo lag below 2k RPM. Duh! So keep the revs above 2k.

Would you really prefer a VW GTI to anything in that list? Have you driven a Miata? They may corner somewhat better than Genesis or Mustang but the car is extremely tiny and the interior is completely unremarkable, yet it gets a better rating in spite of being a total wimp in horsepower. I haven't tried the "unobtanium" vehicles FR-S and BRZ but that review left me completely suspicious. I would like to hear from forum members who have actually driven both BRZ and 2013 Genesis.
If you want somebody on this board to give you the green light on the Genesis you won't get it here. They are 2 different cars. The Genesis is very heavy and from all reviews much less refined than the BRZ. I can tell you that after 6 weeks with the BRZ it is so refreshing to drive a light car. It helps make driver feedback on steering, brakes, and tranny so much more noticeable and present. If you want a class of car like the Camaro, Mustanag, then the Genesis is probably it. It's cheaper, decent looking, even though you still have to say "I have a Hyundai". But if you want to embrace lightness and all the good that comes with a totally dialed in car, the BRZ is the better choice.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

There was a lot more criticism than just the turbo lag. The shifter doesn't like to be rushed, the steering has no feel, and it's far too heavy than it should be. If the BRZ is a scalpel, the Genesis is a hammer. The only reason it handles as well as it does is because it has HUGE tires that are fairly sticky. If it had similar tires to the BRZ, it's faults in the chassis department would be much worse. The guy they had in the videos of that comparison was a champion drift driver, so I'd take his word on how a car is over a lot of other people.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy they had in the videos of that comparison was a champion drift driver, so I'd take his word on how a car is over a lot of other people.
But I've actually driven a Genesis myself, I don't need to take someone's word on that. It has shortcomings like anything, but the description of it plus the other cars in the review were just plain bizarre.

·
Registered
231 Posts

First, I have not driven the 2013 Genesis, so you may wish to dismiss my observations below.

The Subaru BRZ may not be the "correct" car for you at this time.

We all have preferences that vary over time. The issue of power+torque is an important one. Power is addictive, no question. If power is high on your current list of priorities for a car, then I suspect that the BRZ/FR-S twins will disappoint you.

Given what you've written here, and the concerns you have expressed, I think you might be better satisfied with the Genesis or some other car with more power than the BRZ.

In motorsports terms, the BRZ is a "momentum car."

I liken the BRZ to a slightly heavier Miata with a coupe GT body. This is neither good, nor bad. It's just what this car is. It's a car you describe as " a total wimp in horsepower."

It is my view that the BRZ is a car for a select few who will appreciate its virtues (superb handling, a FUN car), while accepting its limitations (comparatively "slow").

A similar car, but one with the additional power you wish for, is the Porsche Cayman S or R. But, now we've doubled the price and more.

I urge you to think, "I DON'T want the BRZ, but I'll let a test drive convince me that I DO want one." I will bet that you'll prefer something different from the BRZ following a test drive. I suspect that a test drive in a BRZ would quickly resolve your dilemma ... in favor of another car. Scions can be found in greater numbers. Perhaps you could find a Scion dealer who has an FR-S available to test drive. It's so close to the BRZ that most drivers would be unlikely to notice any difference.

My initial impressions of the BRZ: (1) Fun!, (2) Slow!

We love our new BRZ. But that's US, not YOU. :)

Good luck to you in your search for an enjoyable car that meets your current desires; there are lots of great choices out there, and the Genesis could be the right choice for you. Hyundai is an impressive "newcomer" to the American market; they're constantly offering improved cars. I'm impressed with Hyundai and with the remarkable inroads they've made in the American market.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I actually concidered the Genesis Coupe 3.8L before going with the BRZ, I loved everything about the Genesis, it was great looking, nice interior and awesome seats. All kinds electronic bells and whistles, it was hard not too like this car. Not too mention the amazing low interest rate Hyundai offers verses other car makers.
My problem with Hyundai, is basically it's a Hyundai, sure they have come along way in the last few years and they are obviously headed in the right direction, but there's nothing about this car that makes it special, at least not too me. Yeah it's powerhouse for sure with great styling minus the non-functional hood vents! And with all it's electronic gadgets, updated interior and engine power, it's really hard to hate this car.
My major problem with this car is there are so many on the road, and I wanting something unique, something you wouldn't see everyday. I can drive down my own cities main street and probably pass two or three Genesis's at any given time. That will not happen with a BRZ, at least not for awhile.
The driving experience with a BRZ is so much different than that of the Genesis, so it was not even a close decision for me.
My biggest hate on the Genesis coupe was the rubbery clunky shifter, I was actually mesmorized by the Genesis until I grabbed the shifter, then lost all interest. And with all of the BRZ's short comings, it still feels special!
But the Genesis coupe is definitely a nice car, just not for me! ;)

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
But I've actually driven a Genesis myself, I don't need to take someone's word on that. It has shortcomings like anything, but the description of it plus the other cars in the review were just plain bizarre.
I've driven it too, and while I was impressed by some things...the shifter is a deal breaker. It may be good for a Hyundai, but driving dynamics still isn't a priority for them. All they care about is undercutting the competition, which leads to quality/engineering limitations. All the problems they had on the previous version are still there.

Edit: Sorry I saw you want an autobox, hopefully it's not a fall apart ZF auto like they used in the last generation...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for sharing this link- I think this is a great comparison and I'd like to think they would have said the FR-S was more fun than even the V-6 Genesis which would probably have done even better.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts