Subaru BRZ Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I just got notice of a VIN for the car I ordered, ETA about 3 weeks. Salesrep says no problem if I want to keep it overnight for a decent test drive before I decide. That's what I like to hear.
What dealer are you buying from?

This is a GREAT deal! Go for it!

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Nice! That's awesome, how long was your total wait so far? What part of the country are you in that they're getting a factory order that quickly?
I ordered mid-March and it has not been quick. Original estimate was late May, I was #3 and 4+ cars have come in before mine.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Capstan, you are contradicting yourself. On the original post I quoted and said "good luck getting that test drive" I was referring to a test drive for "about a day" as you described it.

Now you are talking about a "short" 30 mile drive. It's two different scenarios. But anyway, maybe you ARE that lucky, I had never heard of anything similar.
That's not a contradiction my friend. A day is a period of time and 30 miles is a distance, you can easily do both right? I have no intention of putting a lot of miles on a car that I may not buy. But I can have plenty of time to hang out in it, drive around to places I usually go, see what my friends think, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
That's not a contradiction my friend. A day is a period of time and 30 miles is a distance, you can easily do both right? I have no intention of putting a lot of miles on a car that I may not buy. But I can have plenty of time to hang out in it, drive around to places I usually go, see what my friends think, etc.
You are right, both can be done at the same time. I interpreted it differently but its true, it IS possible.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am having an internal dilemma between the 3.8 track and the brz. Obviously the brz is cheaper. I like the exterior on the brz better. Interior I like the 3.8 better. Handling I believe I like the brz better, if it's anything like the fr-s which I drove, loved the seats and handling, steering and brake feel. 3.8 track I have never sat in yet, driven so I don't know for sure. But I do like the engine and the power behind the 3.8 track, the brembo brakes and LSD. I am not sure of the handling. I dislike the mpg on the 3.8. It is very close, do I want more power and larger engine, and possibly a less 'dialed in' car? Or an extremely well tuned car that won't be my daily driver but will provide maximum enjoyment.

I'm kind of glad in a way it's taking so long to get my brz. This way I can think about my options. However I hope I don't get one and then immediately think man...should have got the other.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you MUST have the torque and power. GO for the 3.8. The 3.8 will be more fun in everyday driving because of the torque. The BRZ will only be fun if you really wind it up.

I think I'm a good example to explain this situation. I have been driving lightweight tuned integras for a while now. The BRZ and FRS I can directly relate to the experience of the Integra. It's just so much FUN to drive. Things are so direct and interactive. Of course modifications help..

Now I just picked up a TL Type S. It's a V6.. More torque more power. But it isn't as FUN as the Integra. It's boring to drive the TL because you can't feel anything. It's all numbed out. But the torque on the V6 definately puts a smile to your face as you blast past people with minimal effort at 3000 rpm. Where as my Integra would be at 6000rpm screaming past them. The V6 just growls by at 3000rpm.

It's a different experience and I'd definitely drive both before I decide. I would never make the decision based on the internet and reviews. One thing is for sure. For the BRZ or FRS test drive. TO fully enjoy it.. You have to beat on it. Wind the RPM up high and take the car to higher limits. You will really enjoy the chassis balance and response of the motor. Just make sure you leave traction control on since you will likely be driving a dealership test car.. Don't want to make headlines as the first nut to total a BRZ at a dealership test drive.

Definitely go drive the 3.8GT. City and highway. Do the same with the BRZ and than decide. Don't be afraid to wind the BRZ up to redline. (unless you are trying to break in your own car)

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
You should be able to get your hands on a Gen Coupe to test drive somewhere, no need to speculate about them. Try the 2.0T as well as the 3.8, that's the one I see people talking about taking to the track. Then you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you must have torque the coupe is the way to go. Especially if you are going with an Automatic. I have a manual Brz I love it. You do not have to wind the pee out of it to enjoy it. All of its modest torque is available by 2500 rpm. All most all of my driving is between 2000 and 4000 rpm. When driving in that range I get 29 mpg. You never need to shift out of 6th gear on the highway to pass. If you want to run with the big boys you must stay between 5000 and 7500 RPM. That is the only time the BRZ is truly fast. It is very smooth and polished at high rpms. Its almost motorcycle like. I also own a 2001 4.0 Cherokee (classic). When I need a effortless torque fix. I drive that for a few days. Also remember the BRZ auto gets 25 city 34 hwy so in the real world in normal driving you should get around 32 mpg. You will never see that mileage in the coupe. The BRZ has considerately more room for the driver and passenger than the coupe. I am 6-5 200 pounds I cant drive the coupe comfortably. I can drive the BRZ from D.C. to L.A. with a hat on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned several Integra's I always went for the base motor. More torque in the real world. I enjoyed driving them at around the speed limit on winding roads. The high output vtecks were sweet. The TL is Ok but the last Legend Coupe was a dream to drive and to look at. After that Honda lost its way. The Type S has a beautiful motor though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is true. The genesisi has so much more power but due to being a poker the differance is around half a second in the qtr mile. The brz is lighter so you can get on the power sooner and longer and brake later so it makes up time in that respect. The brz is like a caymen it can use more power for a better time. On the street i fyou get some tread comperable to hyundai the times would be very close in real world driving. I do wish it was a low 14 second car and that might be the sti version. But overalll this is a fantastic car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am having an internal dilemma between the 3.8 track and the brz. Obviously the brz is cheaper. I like the exterior on the brz better. Interior I like the 3.8 better. Handling I believe I like the brz better, if it's anything like the fr-s which I drove, loved the seats and handling, steering and brake feel. 3.8 track I have never sat in yet, driven so I don't know for sure. But I do like the engine and the power behind the 3.8 track, the brembo brakes and LSD. I am not sure of the handling. I dislike the mpg on the 3.8. It is very close, do I want more power and larger engine, and possibly a less 'dialed in' car? Or an extremely well tuned car that won't be my daily driver but will provide maximum enjoyment.

I'm kind of glad in a way it's taking so long to get my brz. This way I can think about my options. However I hope I don't get one and then immediately think man...should have got the other.
The gearbox isn't in the same league at the BRZ..turn in and steering aren't either. Genesis is a nice car and I seriously considered it, but doesn't have the agility of the BRZ.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Internet debates can last forever. But nothing beats test driving it yourself. Once you test drive it. You come to your OWN conclusion.
The problem is very, very few people can actually test drive a BRZ. They are practically all spoken for. Genesis coupes can be found pretty easily for a testing. So, it's pretty difficult to get an actual comparison between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem is very, very few people can actually test drive a BRZ. They are practically all spoken for. Genesis coupes can be found pretty easily for a testing. So, it's pretty difficult to get an actual comparison between the two vehicles.
agreed, thats why I love living in NH haha, nobody buys sports cars, I got to test drive a BRZ before making my decision

also there's something about hyundai moving production to another facility so the # of cars available is going down (more of the 3.8's lots of 2.0T's available tho)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Scion has a lot more cars available, so it's pretty easy to test drive an FRS..granted, there's the suspension tuning differences, but it'd give a pretty good idea on how the BRZ will drive.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts