Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research, and the estimates I've seen for the BRZ 0-60 times seem to be in the low 6 second area. This puts it on the same level as an s2000. Without all that winding you have to do w/the honda. The BRZ should also have comparable handling, better price, and higher mpg. I've also been seeing 2689lbs as the weight. Which is lighter than an S2k. Only reason I mention s2k is because I've owned one, and got rid of it for the bad gas mileage, lack of a hard top, and rough daily drive. This car will hopefully address all of that. I just gotta get over how much it looks like an eclipse ..

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Same. I am going to compare this to the s2000 when I get to test drive it. I hope it handles as well as the s2000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I certainly hope it's comparable or better than the S2000 in both acceleration and handling, but I'm not holding my breath.

The BRZ is ~100 lbs lighter in US trim, but down 40 hp and 10 lb-ft to the S2000. A good rule of thumbs is 100 lb = 10 hp, so it's still at a disadvantage. Most of the estimates I've seen in the reviews thus far aestimate high 6's/low 7's for 0-60; the S2000 was rated in the high 5's (5.9s).

Now, do what Subaru does best -- slap a turbo on that boxer 4 and get us in the 260-270 hp range -- and we'll have a big winner.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
how i think about it, in this day and age, the S2K sort of set the bench mark for the ideal level of performance from a compact FR car, and by my guess Subaru built this car to be better than and keep up with cars like the S2K. Although we can never be for sure on it, I would like to see a test one day comparing the BRZ to S2K to see if the BRZ is really faster. It would suck if it's not

·
Registered
126 Posts
We'll be lucky if it handles as good as an S2000, which early reviews seem to think so, but it's not going to be faster than an S2000 stock for stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
no offense but why would anyone expect the BRZ to be faster than an S2k stock.. S2k base MSRP is around 34-35k the BRZ is going to be under 30k mark with only maybe the STi (if it even comes out) being over 30k so your talking a minimum of 4-5k less

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a guess, but BRZ probably won't feel as raw as s2k. I think they still have to put some comfort in there to sell to the general public. But it'd be interesting to see if they make it adjustment/mod-friendly for those that will take it to the track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
no offense but why would anyone expect the BRZ to be faster than an S2k stock.. S2k base MSRP is around 34-35k the BRZ is going to be under 30k mark with only maybe the STi (if it even comes out) being over 30k so your talking a minimum of 4-5k less
Well, given that twelve years have passed, I'd have hoped that either costs would go down for the same performance, or performance would go up for the same price. Guess the S2000 was just very much ahead of its time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, given that twelve years have passed, I'd have hoped that either costs would go down for the same performance, or performance would go up for the same price. Guess the S2000 was just very much ahead of its time.
performance has gone up for the same price... take a look at the 1997-2001 Honda Prelude MSRP 23-25k, 2.2 liter engine, 195hp, 156tq, FWD specs look similar to the BRZ kind of no? 12 years later we have the BRZ speculated same MSRP, 2.0 liter engine, 200 hp, 150 tq, but with a RWD drivetrain which costs more than a typical FWD setup even with inflation from the past 12 years still going to be around the same price as the Prelude from 12 years ago..

·
Registered
8 Posts
performance has gone up for the same price... take a look at the 1997-2001 Honda Prelude MSRP 23-25k, 2.2 liter engine, 195hp, 156tq, FWD specs look similar to the BRZ kind of no? 12 years later we have the BRZ speculated same MSRP, 2.0 liter engine, 200 hp, 150 tq, but with a RWD drivetrain which costs more than a typical FWD setup even with inflation from the past 12 years still going to be around the same price as the Prelude from 12 years ago..
Exactly, similar performance for a lower price 12 years later.

Except we were comparing the BRZ to the S2000, not a Prelude, so by that same logic we should be getting a 240 hp/160 tq/2800 lb car for $25k, or a 270hp/180 tq/2700 lb car for $32k ...

·
Registered
77 Posts

Except we were comparing the BRZ to the S2000, not a Prelude, so by that same logic we should be getting a 240 hp/160 tq/2800 lb car for $25k, or a 270hp/180 tq/2700 lb car for $32k ...
Subaru already has that... WRX 265 hp/244 tq $25k, and STi $34k 305 hp/290 tq what would be the point in competing against itself... and basically my whole point is that while its ok to compare the BRZ vs S2k but to expect it to be a faster better car is ridiculous even if the BRZ costs $30k it will still be $5k less than an S2k and if its around $25k as most people at this moment are speculating that would be $10k less so at $5k-$10k less OBVIOUSLY it's not going to be on par with an S2k just think of it this way save $10k buying a BRZ and spend the extra $10k on mods... to whoop the crap out of an S2k

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the S2000 gone, I think this has opened up a sweet spot in the market. I always enjoyed driving the S2K, especially the AP1 before the susp revamp to account for rookie drivers. Lets hope the BRZ allows for the same driving enjoyment as the original S2K offered. As for price, I think the BRZ is perfect. (considering the speculated $25K)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, after owning and driving the piss out of a laguna blue S2K for several years, I can only hope that the BRZ can match not only the performance numbers of the S2K, but also it's raw sports car feel.

Boy, I miss my weekend mountain runs with that Vtec screamer, but I don't miss all the shifting to keep up with traffic during the week. I hope the BRZ is going to have real world useable torque!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I personally don't see the BRZ being that much torqueier then the S2000. They should be similar. But the S2000s 50/50 weight balance will definitely give it a different personality on the track.

·
Registered
359 Posts
BRZ is more tame it still a sport cat but it was designed to be as raw as the s2000 as that you would have to be true to the convertible and true to a race car and make sacrifices to live with it while the brz right now is being sold a mass sporty car with sport flare but still livable with daily driving!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just gotta get over how much it looks like an eclipse ..
Oh good! I thought I was the only one that saw an Eclipse when looking at 3/4 pics of the BRZ's quarter panel.

Just a guess, but BRZ probably won't feel as raw as s2k. I think they still have to put some comfort in there to sell to the general public. But it'd be interesting to see if they make it adjustment/mod-friendly for those that will take it to the track.
I think you're spot-on and I really don't know how I feel about that. I have an S right now and really enjoy driving it because of the visceral ride, but there are those times I wished I had another car. If only I could keep the S but that's another story.

It's too bad Honda doesn't realize this. At the rate they're going I think the S will be their last great driver's car for a while. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts

I think he has a point though. In my eyes the BRZ and its Toyota siblings are more of a sport compact coupe along the lines of the Celica, Integra, Eclipse, and the only RWD car in that segment, the Silvia/240SX. I mean, this thing is shorter than a Civic coupe! If you look at it that way, I'm positive the BRZ outperforms any of those cars stock in any meaningful metric.

As for the S, I'm sure the comparos are inevitable since they share some similarities but even if the BRZ were to come up short it doesn't really matter. It's not something mods can't fix. Besides, 0-60 times don't tell the whole story. In the end, both cars were designed to be corner carvers and that's where it's going to matter most.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The personality of the BRZ on the track vs the S2000 will be different. The weight distribution on both cars are different as well as the way the motors behave at certain RPMS. All the BRZ test drives have noted that the car is really easy to drive. The S2000 has been known to be easy to drive as well but they are known to snap oversteer occasionally.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts