Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a odor that is coming from the AC/fan unit and I think it is coming from something in the air ducts. Where does the car take in air for the cabin air AC/fan unit. I looked at the air filter in the glove box but it doesn't smell weird.

Jeremy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Atempt a brushless car wash with under carriage rinse. After try pouring deodorizing solution down the below the windshield.

·
Registered
483 Posts
From the bottom of the windshield under the wipers. This is a natural high pressure area when moving.

Have a look for small dead things there.

The AC evaporator can sometimes grow moulds and there are cleaners available for that.

Unlikely anything could crawl inside the ductwork downstream of the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What you are likely smelling is mould in the air conditioning unit or the condensate collection tray, both of which get wet when the AC is running. There is little you can do besides disassembling the unit and cleaning the growth with bleach.

People report that they simply turn off the AC some distance before getting to their destination to dry out the system but I find that really impractical. The AC runs when there is any kind of defrost setting and the default is AC when you press full auto climate control. Lets face it, the BRZ air handling unit sucks.

I have owned several cars with AC and this is the worst and most pervasive annoyance I've seen (smelled).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I think it's mold too. I did not replace the cabin air filter but i did take it out and clean off some stuff off of it (and slap around to get rid of the dust) The smell now only last a few seconds before going away.

I will remember to turn off recirculating AC because I have been using that as default. The auto climate control is crap.

What are some deodorizing solution i can buy? i don't think i have the tools to spray the under carriage correctly, but i guess i can just spray the under carriage with water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts