Subaru BRZ Forum banner

Car and Driver reports only 200hp

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  WRXBully 
#1 ·
#2 ·
200 horsepower is weak indeed. With that horsepower rating on a N/A engine, it might be safe to assume Subaru might have plans for a BRZ Turbo model sometime in the future.

I won't depend on Subaru to drop in a turbo, but instead i'll be looking for a Subaru BRZ aftermarket turbo kit.

#4 ·
they can probably do it.. by offering a bare bones base trim for around 20k business wise it makes sense they can actually undercut Scion's version and increase sales at the same time. I mean the Scion versions supposed to be what around 25k? but since its monospec trim you get stuck with all the extras, if Subaru wanted to they could offer a watered down version like.. such as taking off the LSD and making it an option same with the rims just put steelies on the thing thats already close to 2000$ right there

#5 ·
200hp in a light weight car is still very competitive if the price point is as low as they say it will be. This thing won't be that much more then a Civic Si in price. There is no way we are going to get a 250hp+ car from Subaru. It would hurt STi sales.

#6 ·
I actually looked into this and Honda USA has the 2012 Honda Civic Si coupe starting at $22 405. I heard the Subaru BRZ price will start at around $27 000. I just can't imagine both vehicles with nearly the same price. The BRZ is defiantly the one that costs more.

At least we can brag to Si owners that for a few thousand more they could of had the hottest RWD coupe haha. FWD = FTL!

#9 ·
Well better comparison the very popular Hyundai Gensis 2.0T is only 210hp but its 3,389 lbs the BRZ will be 200hp ish but if its around 2500lbs that is a HUGE weight difference. Plus dont forget that the BRZ is going to have a very low center of gravity and if its like the FT86 will have a interior that is designed to be roll cage friendly. Who knows what else they will give us that will be track friendly? Maybe really well put sway bars and dampers. You never know. For sure the BRZ is going to sell like crazy if its 2500lbs.

#14 ·
Although convertibles do weigh more than their coupe siblings, cloth convertibles are usually 100-150lbs heavier. It's the retractable hard tops that weigh 200-300lbs more. I was using the S2000 as a comp because it's smaller with two less seats and designed to be light weigh like the BRZ. So negate the extra weight of the S2000 being convertible with the fact that it's smaller with two less seats and it's a very good comp. But hey if the BRZ does weigh anything close to 2500, it'll be a great accomplishment.

I just get skeptical of reports with new cars. I remember reading the Solstice/Sky weighing close to 2000lbs and immediately thinking no way, not from an american car maker.

#15 ·
Why does everyone think that if it has more than 200HP it will take sales away from the WRX/STi? These cars are not even in the same demographic! The BRZ will NOT compete with either of them in any way! That's like saying that the S2K took sales away from the Civic Si! The target demographic is so drastically different, it's not even close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.