Subaru BRZ Forum banner

What should I do with my money?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX. The only mods I have was what came with the car used.

Which was:
-Pro Drive Exhaust
-Pro Drive Tune up
-HKS Ground Kit
-K&N Intake
-Pro Drive Wheels
-Track Brake Pads
-Everything else is OEM

I use it as a daily commuter but I recently took my WRX to an open track in Thunderhill for the first time. I had a freaking blast out there but my car crapped out after 3 sessions due to misfiring on one of the cylinder. I got the car used and it has over 130K miles - I believe it's starting to fall apart.

All my buddies seem to have fast cars (C6, 370z, Mini Cooper S, G35, 350z, S2K, etc) and I thought to myself, I really want to spend some money in either, 1) fixing up this WRX for track or 2) buy a new car (Perhaps a BRZ STi) that I can enjoy in both everyday driving and on track as well.

What do you guys think?
Should I just get an everyday practical ride (Honda Civic) and throw money into turning my 2003 WRX into a track beast? As I am calculating in the cost of buying new suspension, bigger brakes, a new turbo Turbo, this is adding up fast!
Or should I just get a BRZ STi (newer, more reliable with a better platform & less things I need to fix/upgrade).

I'm so lost and I guess I just wanted some insights in what's the best way to spend my money.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Get a used but mint WRX STi.

Don't wait for the BRZ STi. Not going to be worth it. It'll likely just be a BRZ with some suspension mods.

With some suspension mods, a larger turbo, and some tuning. You'll be showing your buddies who is boss.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Your car is almost 10 years old, I wouldn't both dumping more coin into it. Just drive it as is for now and save up for the BRZ STI.

BUT the wait for a BRZ STI will be at least a year if not a bit more, are you willing to wait that long?

·
Registered
762 Posts
brz sti won't be worth the wait, like what import nation said it will have some suspension mods, turbo and some tuning. Are you really going to wait 1+ year for a car with minor performance mods?

a used newer WRX STI seems like a better idea with a civic as your beater car. Funny thing is a WRX STI might perform better than the BRZ STI

·
Registered
46 Posts
A WRX STI or tuned WRX will get you faster lap times. A BRZ or BRZ STI will be more fun, and a hell of a lot cheaper as a track car (if you don't mod it much). So it's up to you - what's more important - your lap times or handling fun/involvement?

I think the reason to get the STI BRZ is (1) it'll probably be 250 hp non-turbo, with a track-ready suspension and brakes so you don't need to mod, and (2) it should have crazy high resale value.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First I think you should decide if you want to track an all wheel drive car or rear wheel. Ask the regulars out at thunderhill what they think & try to drive a RWD car. I personally think you should build your WRX and then buy a regular BRZ later on. Make the WRX your track car and the BRZ your daily driver. You can still take your BRZ to the track once in a while but the WRX will be the dedicated race car. If you buy a BRZ or BRZ STI and make it your track car, it will get beat to hell. Then you will have the costs of a new car and repair/upgrade costs to keep it on the track. Just my 2 cents. Also, I am wondering where you are from. I am from Redding/Chico, pretty close to Thunderhill and definitely want to get out there someday. There is autocross in Redding once a month too and I strongly recommend bringing the WRX sometime. It is a blast.... (even in my crappy civic):)

·
Registered
112 Posts
t hill is an awesome course. Will my old sti I did 2 consecutive days with 2 run groups in a row no cool down letting my old man drive the car. It was perfect compression and tip top even 30k later. Most recently ran my 350whp sti out there 2 days in a row but only 1 group this time :), and it did great. One thing is with a subaru turbo motor you don't want any engine performance mods without a custom tune to be safe. Don't ever skimp on that. T hill has so many off camber turns awd is hard to beat there, depending on the config i guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts