1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When: May 9th - 12th
Where: Border of NC and TN
Info: http://www.dealsgap.com/

I posted this same meet last year and only 2 of us showed up, which was a real shame because we both had a blast. The Gap is 11 miles long and has 318 bends, I swear the BRZ was made for this road. I done quite a few autocross events last year, which are great by the way, but my best driving experience was on the Gap. I would rather spend a weekend at the gap than an autocross!

If interested, please post below. I'll keep this open until mid March, then I'll take a head count of the confirmed attendees and I'll try and get a good discount on hotel rooms.

Let's try and get a good turn out this year.

Chris.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd love to do it, but it's 5 hours away for me and I prefer the safety of a race track. That said, I'll think about it.
It's about a 4-5 hour drive for me too, but worth it. You are right about the race track and if you want to know the limits of your car, the Gap is NOT the place to find out. If you treat the Gap with respect and drive responsibly, you can have a lot of fun and be safe.

Actually I just checked the map, you live closer than me. I'm just the other side of Raleigh, NC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I for the last 7 years we have gone to Minis On The Dragon, held the first week of May. The 11 miles and 318 turns are made for the Mini - BUT I can't wait to take the BRZ down there.

What's your plan for a BRZ gathering ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a time 5+ years ago when you were free it test the limits of your car - some crazy drivers caused problems and accidents so the the county sheriffs ( M29 the dragon runs in the mountains between TN and NC) started active patrols - now on the 318 turns you need to be careful as a cop may be waiting and they show no mercy

·
Registered
6 Posts
In your planning be aware that Minis on the Dragon takes place the first weekend in May and the corsets usually follow the next weekend. A good place to start looking fir rooms is Fontana Dam it's a nice but moderately priced resort in Dells Gap the heart of the Dragon. They have a variety rooms, cabins and camp sites

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right, I believe the minis are the weekend before. I did check the weekend of the 11th and didn't see any events posted on the sites I visited. Me and Skuggi went on the same weekend last year and had a lot of fun and it wasn't busy. Skuggi and I are only going back for the BBQ brisket.
There are some great cabin deals in the area. Me, my wife and another couple shared a cabin last October and it worked out cheaper than 2 motel rooms. I'll do some research this coming week and post my findings.

P.S. The cops are always there but mostly at the end of the small straight aways. So you can have "fun" in the corners but don't get carried away when the corners straighten out, or you may get bitten!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope to begin a cross-country Big Loop tour of the continent on May 8, so a BRZ gathering at the Gap on that weekend would be perfect for my schedule. Is the possible event dead in the water or is it going to happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done the road every year for the last 20 years or so, sometimes two or more visits in a summer, doing it on a variety of motorcycles, three Miatas, two S2000s and, last year, my new BRZ. Gotta do it at least once this summer, ... or spring (in spite of a $274 ticket I got there three years ago). Be good to do it when a bunch of other BRZs would be around (all the better to distract the LEOs).

·
Registered
326 Posts
i will try this year... Coming from South New Jersey... :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys,
It would be great to see you all there this year. I plan on arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday morning. I think I'm going to stay at the Quality Hotel in Andrews again. Me and Skuggi stayed there last year. The hotel is about a 40 minute drive from the Gap, but what a drive it is!

I'll give you all my cell number when we get closer to the date.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I invited the women of my family to mountains that weekend. So my plan is to burn a tank on Saturday with my fellow BRZers. Maybe Sunday morning too. I remember brake cooling that was needed.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts