Subaru BRZ Forum banner
13K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Subieman 
#1 ·
Hello- I will be picking up my new '14 BRZ Limited in a couple of weeks. Would like to disable sound generator with minimal effort- Could I just plug the hole under carpet in passenger's footwell using a 7/8" nylon plug?

#2 ·
Yes, you can just plug the hole under the carpet in the passenger's footwell. Not sure about the exact size, but you can use the plug in the glove compartment power outlet to test out the difference.

But why are you in such a hurry? You can do this at any time, but you might as well hear what the car sounds like as designed by Subaru/Toyota, and then plug it later and see what you prefer. You will probably not be revving above 4,000 very often for the first thousand miles, anyway.

I'm at 800 miles, and have experimented with the hole covered and uncovered. It's currently uncovered again, but I won't make a final decision on it until some trial and error after the break-in period.

-Z

#5 · (Edited)
If you trace the air box to the intake manifold, you will see a smaller tube that splices off to the left and around the engine to the back, and then there will be a large round black apparatus. That's the sound generator and it makes the engine sound as follows:

VrruuurrruummmrrRRRRRRRBLAAAAAAAAARRRRROBNOXIOUSRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrsoundsgoodagainrrrrr. Very annoying at highway speeds because all you hear is BLARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

#9 ·
I wish I had an actual idea on where it's located within the cabin. The sound I hear is friggen awesome to me, and I'm wondering if it's because my sound generator is already plugged or not. ( used Brz)

I enjoy the sound of hearin' that beautiful engine but maybe thats me and maybe mine is already plugged so it's less annoying. However, I have no idea what to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.