Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shameless photo of my baby:

So I noticed that a lot of people have been having problems with their rearview mirrors either getting loose, or falling off completely. Should be covered under warranty, so if you have a dealership near you and don't mind waiting for them to fix it, then I would do that. My dealership is 45 minutes away, and they are very busy. I didn't think I wanted to spend3-4 hours for something that should be an easy fix.

Cost <$2.00 assuming you have gorilla clue or locktite.

you will need:
-a phillips screwdriver

-t-20 torx screw driver

-flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2"

-gorilla glue or locktite

-A damp rag may be nice to if you get glue on your car or hands.

After my rearview mirror fell off I was very embarrassed :-( so I decided to take it apart and fix it myself. I threaded the OEM screws through the mounting plate that goes into the retainer clip. The threads didn't seem too bad, but the screws were slightly tapered so they would have to go in a lot further to fully grab. If you think your threads are pretty much shot, I don't think this will work for you, but it probably won't hurt to try. I thought that regular screws would have more surface area to grip with since they are not tapered.

This is my first DIY, sorry I don't have all the pictures I would like, but I took them after I did this and I didn't want to take it all the way apart for obvious reasons.

#1: Take the torn screw out, the mirror won't fall since it slides onto the bracket. Slide the mirror off, and unplug it from the cable.

#2: Take the cable covers off.

#3: Set the mirror aside for now.

#4: Remove the two screws from the mounting bracket.

#5: Set aside the mounting bracket.

#6: Optional: Remove the mounting plate from the retaining clip and run both screws deep into the screw holes <insert joke here> and remove. Push the mounting plate back into the retaining clip large end up.

#7: I wedged a tiny folded up piece of paper behind the mounting plate to push it closer to where the screws are going to come from. I don't know if this is necessary, but I wanted to make sure the screws could easily reach the mounting plate.

TIP: For the next step put just one drop of gorilla glue on the screw, and do not apply it to the mounting plate. I did the latter first, and I had to manipulate some stuff to get it lined up and I got stickiness all over. Much cleaner to apply to the screws themselves.

#8: Un-screw the bottle of gorilla glue. Place one drop of glue on the end of the new screw. With the other hand position and hold the mounting bracket in place. Put the screw in one of the two holes and thread. repeat for the 2nd hold. Be sure not to tighten this too tight. I did mine snug-light, so it didn't rattle when I tried to move it side to side, but not too tight that it tears up the threading.

#9: Wait for glue to dry, it says 3-4 hours, but I only waited about 3-4 minutes before putting the rest on and then let the car sit overnight.

#10 Slide the mirror back onto the mounting bracket and place torx screw back into place

#11: Plug it back in.

#12: Place lower (skinnier) part of cable cover into mount closest to the windshield while keeping a bend in the cable in the cover's channel. Then place the upper part over this and slide it up and under the roof lining stuff.

#13: Re-adjust your mirror being careful to support the bracket while adjusting.

#14 You may have to reprogram your garage door, or other buttons.

#15: Go for a drive, you need to test it out now right?

It's been a week since i did mine, and it's still holding strong even after driving on the same bumpy roads. Good luck! I figure i saved a couple of hours, and if I had to buy a mounting kit, I saved some money as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok...I figured I would add on my experiences with the rear view mirror also.

Mine has fallen off twice now, even though the dealer claimed he ordered the right mounting bracket for it after the first time it fell off (I have the one with the compass, auto-dimming and Homelink). The problem is two fold, in my opinion...one, like lemmonsqueeze said, the screws are garbage. The thread starts about 1/4 the way up and you need as much bite as possible in this application. Two, the aluminum that the back plate is made out of is basically pot metal...ie. crap!

Seeing that so many people are having issues with this and not only with the BRZ/FRS (check out the WRX boards), I drew the back plate in CAD to manufacture my own out of some 6061 or maybe even some nice stainless if I so feel.

back plate.jpg

However, before I went through the expense of finding someone with the capability to produce them, I tried one last thing...and so far, so good!

I don't have any pics to attach, because quite honestly I didn't think my hack would make any difference and I was so sick of not having my rear view mirror, I just tried it as a last ditch effort. I took a piece of 1mm thick aluminum (available in small sheets at Home Depot for I think $8.99) and cut it to match the outline of the back plate (roughly 18mm wide, 24mm long with a rounded end). Obviously that's not aluminum in the photo...I was going to try some UHMW first, but the aluminum fit perfectly.

IMG_20130813_215759.jpg

I then took the stainless steel screws (like the ones lemonsqueeze bought above, only mine were 1" long) threaded them into the back plate, measured how much protruded and cut the excess off with my Dremel (which is what I used to cut the aluminum also). I cleaned up the last thread with a small file and threaded them by hand, very carefully! If you aren't careful, you WILL damage the threads of the crap back plate! This way, the back plate was being gripped by 100% of the threads on the screw. Once I knew they worked, it was off to my BRZ. I slid the back plate into the holder on the window, but before inserting the screws, I slid the 1mm piece of aluminum in behind the back plate (in between the window and the back plate) to take up the slack between the window and the back plate. I then reassembled the mirror, coated each screw with some red Lock-tite and tightened them to just past hand tight. It's now been about three weeks and my mirror is still rock solid. I don't know if the 1mm aluminum spacer really helped any, but as soon as I started tightening the screws, I could already tell the mounting was more solid than before.

However, if it does loosen...I'm making my own damn bracket that I know will hold that pesky rear view mirror on! Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went thru this except mine didnt fall off, it just wobbled when you drive so can't see out the mirror since it was shaking. I tried various screws with no luck as just couldn't get tight enough to hold. My diy was superglue around the inside of the bracket slid back on mounting plate and it has stuck so far a few months (in texas summer sun no less). This bracket with retaining clip needs redesign imo. I know the superglue will eventually degrade, if no better bracket has been designed, will re-superglue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok...I figured I would add on my experiences with the rear view mirror also.

Seeing that so many people are having issues with this and not only with the BRZ/FRS (check out the WRX boards), I drew the back plate in CAD to manufacture my own out of some 6061 or maybe even some nice stainless if I so feel.

View attachment 10682

However, before I went through the expense of finding someone with the capability to produce them, I tried one last thing...and so far, so good!
I haven't even taken delivery of my car, yet, but I'm researching all I can.

Heck... If this issue is as common as it would appear to be, you might consider having these things manufactured in at least the minimum quantity, and market them. (Of course, that's easy for me to say without knowing the price point.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took mine to the dealer. They did not even know that Subaru had a fix for this issue, but I told them, and they were able to order the new kit and fix it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Raven,

Do you happen to have more information on the fix? Im all about DIY, but I feel as if this is something the dealer should fix. Do you happen to have any links or other info that I may present to the dealer before they BS me about 'waiting for so

·
Registered
77 Posts
Raven,

Do you happen to have more information on the fix? Im all about DIY, but I feel as if this is something the dealer should fix. Do you happen to have any links or other info that I may present to the dealer before they BS me about 'waiting for so
I had mine repaired by the dealer. Part is only $8.00. Subaru part number: H501SSA040 - Mounting Adapter. I also read about an updated one with number H501SSA041. Haven't had a jiggle in 4 months. I have the Homelink mirror.

YMMV

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I in turn fixed mine similarly to you but instead used red locktite in place of gorilla glue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had mine repaired yesterday, It had fallen off a few months ago, with the nearest dealership being 2 hours away i had procrastinated long enough. I had actually gotten used to driving without a rearview mirror, but its nice to have it again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just had the second updated adaptor plate installed. The new installation is vibration free ad of today. We shall see if it stays on the car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just installed mine today (The new part H501SSA041) for my auto dim mirror (no homelink)
Feels rock solid.

I eyeballed the old and new parts and didn't see the differences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts