Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engineering friend told me that I should change my oil after 20-40 initial miles on the car to flush out burrs and tiny metal flakes. Is this necessary? what do you think and when will you guys be doing your first oil change??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Follow the manufacturer's schedule for the oil change. Burrs and metal fakes will be trapped in the oil filter, no need to worry. The key is to drive it gently at the break-in period, I know it is hard when driving a BRZ. Also, monitor the oil level often.

·
Registered
200 Posts
One of those myths that just keep going!
Certainly not a myth. It is, however, not necessary on a production vehicle like this. It would be true if you had assembled this engine yourself. When building my engine in my 240sx I changed the oil 25 miles after I first started it. This is necessary because of the assembly lubricants used when building the engine, the contaminants that enter the engine when assembling, and the manufacturing films on surfaces of components such as the bearings that wear off after initial start up.

It's actually quite alarming how much metal shaving is found during the first oil change. Not only was the oil obviously contaminated after this change, my magnetic drain plug had a large amount of metal deposited on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I'm retarded and didn't read the maintenance schedule correctly.It just lists 3k with no indication of a change, guess it's just an inspection. I'm still changing it earlier though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would recommend changing the oil after the first 100 miles. I believe the engine will still have preservatives in it which I would want to flush out.
Preservatives? An engine is not potato chips. :D

It's really not needed these days as donwrblue already pointed out. Someone over at bobistheoilguy was just asking this question about his WRX. The oil from the factory has higher levels of anti-wear additives (like molybdenum, zinc, and phosphorus (ZDDP)) which can only be good for break-in, IMO. I showed that poster a WRX used oil analysis with over 5k miles on it. While iron, aluminum, and silicon were slightly elevated (as expected) he would have even been fine going another 1k or so miles on the factory fill.

While there may not be any harm in switching out earlier, it certainly won't hurt to keep it in until the required oil change interval. And unless you're switching to Motul 300V or Red Line, you'll be switching to an oil with a weaker additive package than the factory fill.

-Dennis

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed mine at 70 miles and there was a lot of metal sheen in the oil. Stuff was too fine to be picked up by the filter which was perfectly clean. The metal particles probably would not hurt any metal parts of the engine, but it might very well grind away at rubber oil seals. I changed again at 700 miles and the same sheen was seen in the oil. I definitely recommend changing it at about 100 miles, then at a short interval maybe 1000 miles , then one more short interval like 3000 miles, then 5000 after that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts