Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Picking up our new BRZ on Saturday. Based on what I've read, the head unit is a prime target for an early upgrade.

I've done a few searches but have not found any discussion of the Pioneer AVIC NEX series. Has anyone installed one of these in a BRZ? Is it possible to connect the existing USB/AUX/GPS to this unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
While the head unit is not the greatest, I picked up a '14 limited about a month ago and just did a speaker, sub, amp upgrade and it sounds amazing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I installed a 8000NEX unit and retained the existing USB, but chose not to wire in the AUX since I never use it. The NEX unit came with a new GPS antenna which I connected and placed under the dash to the right of the HU. There is a nice metal beam there that the antenna will magnetically stick to. I've had no issues with GPS reception. For USB, you just have to use an adapter to retain the stock USB port.

I just finished my installation this past weekend and setting up my gains. Sounds so much better than stock. I installed a set of Diamond Audio Hex S600S components (the nicer ones from back in the early 2000's), a JL Audio 900/5 amp, and a JL Audio 10W0 sub in a Prowedge box that I had from my previous car. Kept the stock rear speakers powered off the HU for rear fill and bridged the front/rear channels for the front components.

I will say that even with just the HU replacement, which I had in the car for about 2 weeks before installing everything else, that I noticed a slight improvement in SQ, but a major improvement in the Nav and buttons that I could actually hit easily as opposed to the smaller buttons on the stock HU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pioneer NEX 8000 and 8100 do not support Wireless Carplay.
They only support Wired through the USB/Lightning cable.

I checked directly with Pioneer Support who confirmed these 2 units do not have WiFi capability which is needed to support Wireless CarPlay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts