Subaru BRZ Forum banner
6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  fx35s 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all! :D

So I am about to return my much-hated 2010 Kia Forte "Koup" to the dealer next week and I am thinking about financing the 2013 BRZ soon. (No more Korean cars and I'm Korean. I used to think Korean cars got really good until after few weeks of driving in Forte lol.. so many problems tsk tsk)

Anyways, the 2010 Kia Forte is leased under my dad's name although I am the primary driver of the car.

Now the question is if I were to finance the BRZ under my name and wanted to insure the car, can I still be under (is this the correct word to use here?) my dad's policy?

I just thought about this but I have no clue what will be best option for me at this point.

I pay about 830 for 6 months under Geico with full-coverage at $1,000 deductible, and when I got a quote from Geico last summer for BRZ I got 860/6 mo.

To give you guys a little more information about me I got my DL when I was in high school (17 I think) and only drove about 3 years, and I'm 23 now living in NJ.

How expensive would it be if I were to be the sole auto insurance policy holder on my own separate from my dad?

Any advices or tips will be greatly appreciated! :D

Safe driving folks!

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure how much this will help but here is how I got my BRZ:

I am 22, recently graduated from college and found a full-time job. I really wanted a BRZ and now with my income, I was able to finance the vehicle. My dad has an insane credit score and offered to sign for the car so long as I pay for it. The BRZ is technically signed by him but it is under my name, the finance manager even put 'Jr.' under title holder to signify that it is me who pays for the car. My previous car was under my dad's insurance policy; I called the insurance agent and asked him to switch out my Accord (which only had liability coverage) for my brand new BRZ (full coverage) and he said no problem so long as I got my dad to sign a written request to swap the cars. For 3 cars (2009 dodge ram, 2003 BMW, 2013 BRZ), my dad pays about 350. I pay $134 per month for the BRZ and he pays the rest for his truck and my sister's car. In case you're wondering, we have Mercury insurance and I have a $500 deductible. Prior to swapping the cars out, I did research how much I would pay for insurance on my own and e-surance gave me the best quote with $154 per month. I think it is best to stick with an existing policy but I'm not sure as to why/how. Not sure how important this is but with the Accord, I never got into an accident nor did I ever receive a traffic violation/ticket. Hope this information helps you and you get the BRZ!!

#4 ·
Thanks for the information, it helped a lot! :)

I graduated last year and was working full-time until November in Oregon through my 6 months paid-internship.

Ever since then I moved back to NJ and was/and am still looking for a full-time job but things don't look too good so far. ;/

I am studying for some of my computer-related certifications to help me get a full-time job I want at this point and will be working part-time..

Anyways, my parents are with Geico auto insurance and reading from your comment I think the best thing is to call Geico tomorrow and see how insurance premium will change if I were to insure the car on my own.

My dad doesn't have the best credit score but he alaways got nice interest rates on cars so I'm hoping all will work out a little better as my dad will also co-sign for me. (I will be paying the bills though :D)

With that said, I see some folks here are waiting for 2014 BRZ that "might" get to dealer lots by October-November-ish but I don't think I will wait for 2014 as I need the car pretty soon anyways.

Happy Driving! :D:D

#6 · (Edited)
I'm 27 and live in Louisiana. I carry very high limits, and we are known for high insurance cost. My C6 Z06 cost me about $185/mo when I was 25, and my 370Z costs me around $200 a month now (I upped my limits SIGNIFICANTLY, although the previous limits were a lot better than others typically carry good.) Comparably, it would have been about $160.

Maybe that gives you a price-point?

(I use State Farm and Allstate, and they vary GREATLY (The difference on the Z06 was so large between SF and Allstate that I was able to insure my daily driver and my Z06 for less than State Farm would insure JUST my Z06, using comparable policies!) depending on the car I owned, who had the best rate. CROSS SHOP!)

#9 · (Edited)
So I thought I would update with some new information today! :D

I called Geico to see how much change would insurance premium will see, and I got $106.22 per month for 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium Manual.

The guy helping me out told me I got pretty competitive deal because I came off of a parents' policy and stuff but I do think $106.22 a month is quite impressive number :D

To think it is actually cheaper for me to have my own insurance policy is amazing but to think BRZ is cheaper to insure than 2010 Kia Forte makes me giggle... hehe

So I'm going to the Subaru dealer tomorrow and see what I can get!!

-------------------------------------Another Question

Off the topic however, is it required for the auto insurance company to list all the family members onto a policy if s/he has a valid driver license?

My brother who is 19 now does not drive any cars at home and has a valid NJ driver's license, and somehow was put on a policy which ended up increasing the policy premium.. :/

What really happened was he was not on the policy but as his friend (driver at the time) got into an accident my brother's(passenger at the time) information went to Geico...and that's how it all started.

Is there any way I could put my brother off of an insurance? He will be going to college in other state and he will certainly be not driving at all.

And by just having him on the insurance and paying more, would it help my brother's premium low down the road?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.