Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Read the owners account of what happened. Hopefully doesnt effect brz owners. This person obviously doesnt deserve to buy another for pulling stupid stunts like he did. I know a lot of us brz owners are older but still, learn from this guy and dont drive with traction control off on public roads.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is precisely what I said in a recent forum post. I mentioned that since the car handles so well and everyone think it's a racecar with handling accordingly - there are going to be more crashes, as people will want to drift and take the car down twisties. The car was meant for twistys and handling - so therefore instead of going in a straight line which is easier, the nature of the car is to fly around hairpin turns. This is going to create a lot of problems. Be careful people, know the car before you start trying to drift around hairpin turns!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read the owners account of what happened. Hopefully doesnt effect brz owners. This person obviously doesnt deserve to buy another for pulling stupid stunts like he did. I know a lot of us brz owners are older but still, learn from this guy and dont drive with traction control off on public roads.
I didn't see where he had turned traction control off, but you're probably right. What surprised me is he was only going 20 mph out of the turn and lost control in a trubo-less 200 hp car?? I wonder what gear he was in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didn't see where he had turned traction control off, but you're probably right. What surprised me is he was only going 20 mph out of the turn and lost control in a trubo-less 200 hp car?? I wonder what gear he was in.
I read through his account and Yes, he did turn off the traction control. And, the buffoon said he doesn't remember using his brakes.

Here's the excerpt with added highlights: "Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. "

What a tragic waste. No matter how apologetic he is, he should not buy another one and ruin it even further for the rest of us.

Reactions: BRZing

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why would you turn off traction control on a public road in an attempt to drift??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you turn off traction control on a public road in an attempt to drift??
Like I said before, limited car knowledge here, but I thought the traction control makes it more difficult to drift. He apparently wanted to drift to show off to his passenger so he turned it off. My guess anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
He already said why he wanted to drift. He thought it would be fun and there was no one around and therefore safe. He was intelligent to do it when no cars or pedestrians were around so he could only hurt himself, which is great!

And of course you turn off traction control to drift.

However, on the BRZ/FRS you can partially turn it off and it apparently lets you slide some but still keeps it in control. He should have left it in that mode (or maybe he did have it in that mode and it didn't work that well?)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I"m actually glad and grateful this guy came forward. I do not have experience with all the traction control buttons but this emphasizses the importance of understanding them. I plan on jumping on a track or a huge open lot (after the break in period) and play with them their until I get a good feel for them. One of the posts on this guys thread lists and describes all these functions .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I, for one, think it was smart to have the BRZ set at 200hp. Any more, and half these would get smashed in the first year........serious.

Yes I have owned the first gen of this, it was called the SVX. Those of you who have owned one, I say you will treat them with respect, Those of you not, there is the issue.

I have owned over 40 Subaru's. Over 10 EJ22T closed decks. and that one 155mph SVX- stock eg33 with 230hp, yes it did 155mph, but it weighed almost TWICE the BRZ

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the time I get back from deployment, insurance is going to be horrendous...

I, for one, think it was smart to have the BRZ set at 200hp. Any more, and half these would get smashed in the first year........serious.

Yes I have owned the first gen of this, it was called the SVX. Those of you who have owned one, I say you will treat them with respect, Those of you not, there is the issue.

I have owned over 40 Subaru's. Over 10 EJ22T closed decks. and that one 155mph SVX- stock eg33 with 230hp, yes it did 155mph, but it weighed almost TWICE the BRZ
almost twice the BRZ? ... Did you have about 1500 pounds worth of fat chick in your SVX when you weighed it? The SVX only weighed a couple hundred more then a current STI.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Don't learn the limits of RWD without traction control on the street. Just not a very good idea when you consider how much fun the track is and how much more affordable a track day is vs a totaled car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts