Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

14% drivetrain loss. This is the first dyno to come out for the Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ motor.

170 rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) that is power to the ground
Open deck block - block guard + turbo?

Surprised Subaru went with an open deck. Was hoping for a closed deck or semi closed.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So video has been taken down which is a huge bummer. But here are better photos.

Comparo with other cars similar to the BRZ

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Seen the video and it sucks that it doesn't sound like your typical boxer engine or better. But it does sound really good for a 4 cylinder. Like I said in other threads, it sounds a lot like B or K series Honda engine with a proper aftermarket exhaust

·
Registered
762 Posts
170 rwhp isn't all that bad. The S2000 was a great car on the track and people loved it. The BRZ has a lower power to weight ratio not by a lot but it still makes a difference. I expect the BRZ to perform as good or better than the S2K.

Also the BRZ is cheaper than the S2K when it first came out. THis car is straight win!

·
Registered
272 Posts
i bet subaru wanted to put more power in the BRZ/FR-S/86 but Toyota probably held them back from doing it.
if the BRZ had an extra 30-70HP it would be so much better for everyone. How hard can it be to get that extra power when it's a totally new engine being built from the ground up? during the process they could've done this

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
170rwhp isnt spectacular. In terms of power the BRZ isn't going to be a big shower. The car is going to have to accel in handling vs the competition or its not going to have alot going for it. 200bhp FR 2700lbs. Not heavy but not that light. Not powerful but not really slow. Great that its front engine rear wheel drive and great that the center of gravity is so low. Lets hope the engineers designed a front and rear suspension that does justice the handling. I also hope the transmission and differential can hold up to some additional power ontop of the 200bhp.

I don't think guys are going to be turbocharging or supercharging this motor without at least a block guard, which isn't cheap to install. The engine is high enough compression that you probably shouldn't run really high amounts of boost. Even if the connecting rods and pistons are made to take abuse in order to boost it to high power a block guard would be the minumum.

Im hoping the motor takes up to 18psi of boost on the stock block. Strong internals?

·
Registered
121 Posts
BTW here is a similar video that just went up a few hours ago.
It's similar but you dont get to see the dyno sheet part.

BTW I don't know what you're talking about BRZ_fan. That does not sound like a Honda.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts