Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of our cars came with the fake carbon fiber sticker on the fuel door.
I thought it was tacky and ruined the flow of car's lines.

Removal is amazingly easy.
With the fuel door closed, use a heat gun or hair dryer to gently heat one edge of the sticker.
The heat softens the glue. Pick at the edge with a fingernail to determine when the glue is beginning to release its grip.
Once you're able to get an edge loose, put the heat gun down. You won't need it for the remainder of the process.
While holding the fuel door in place with one hand, grip the released sticker edge with the other hand.
Pull gently and very slowly to remove the sticker from the fuel door.
Mine released without causing any damage or leaving any residue on the paint.

Not only is this sticker fake carbon fiber, it's not even metallic.
It appears to be made of vinyl!
Subaru charged me a good chunk of change for what is now one of the many stickers/decals on my tool box.

Go slow and easy. You too can remove this unsightly wart from your car. :rolleyes:
Note that no warranty is expressed or implied.
As with all owner modifications this is performed wholly at your own risk.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was an ugly "port installed option" applied to my car after it arrived in the U.S.
Thankfully, it's an "accessory" that shouldn't be included if your ordered your BRZ.
Regards.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cars arrive at port with painted fuel doors.
The port-installed option is an extra profit center. Some Subaru dealers specified that it be applied to their consigned cars.
To avoid this ugly extra-cost sticker, simply don't opt for the "carbon fiber" fuel door.
If you didn't see it or order it with your car you won't have it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I didn't understand your point.
My question is why I'd want to replace a perfectly-good fuel door.

Let me clarify: The cars all arrive at the port with a "stock" fuel door.
Some dealers have the sticker applied over the fuel door. It looks like carbon fiber [but is actually vinyl].

Removing the sticker takes about 15 minutes. Much like removing a bumper sticker, the "stock" fuel door is revealed, the original paint underneath is undamaged, and the car is returned to "stock". The cost is a few minutes of my time.

Your suggested method would require me to buy another fuel door at an unknown cost, possibly have it painted to match the car, remove interior trim parts necessary to access the hinge, replace the door, and then replace the removed interior trim parts.
I "guesstimate" the cost to be at least $100 and an hour of my time. This would be like replacing a bumper to eliminate an unwanted sticker.

As I always look for the simplest and most cost-effective method to achieve my desired end; sticker removal won hands-down.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutely correct ... a vinyl sticker on the stock fuel door. Ubber tacky!

I'm glad that we got that cleared up...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts