Subaru BRZ Forum banner
19K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Skuggi 
#1 ·
Hi Guys / Gals,

So, I filled up last week with 94 octane as usual. I put about 100K on it and a few days ago I saw that gas went up at every other station except for one. I was hesitant to pull in because this gas station doesn't serve 94 octane, only 91. But I did some quick math in my head and realized that if I already have 3/4 of a tank of 94 in my tank and if I put a quarter tank in of 91, I will still be okay as it would balance out to be about 92 or 93.

Anyway...

When I filled up at this station, I went in, paid, came out and started my car. The gas gauge remained at the same level (3/4). So I drove around for a few days / or about another 150kms and it just finally started to move down from the 3/4 mark. So basically what i'm trying to say is that the fuel gauge never recognized that I filled up the last time...

Anybody ever experience this?

Thanks

-SS

#2 ·
That's weird. Let me ask you, did you turn the engine off while refueling? 2005's Ford Focus had a problem that if you let the engine on while refueling, it would not detect the new tank position.

Stay vigilant on your next refuel. although about the Focus, I think that was for a digital meter, and ours is a needle, so it should not be the same situation....

#3 ·
Hmmm... Nope, I always have the car off. However, my girlfriend was in the car at the time...maybe she had the accessories running? I will put a bit of gas in it tonight to check it out and I will report back.

#4 ·
Probably just the fuel level sensor not working properly. I am experiencing the same issue with my A8 right now. It won't go up past half when i fill it up, but during driving it over the next day it slowly goes all the way up. Don't worry about it, should fix itself, and no its not the gas so don't fret. Give it a day or two and I bet it will either rise by itself or just work the next fillup.

#5 ·
Shane, just had this happen to me today, tried topping it up three times and on the third one it reset itself. Also stop filling at the first click! That fixed it for me. I spoke with my dealer today about and she said she emailed head office for tech support but trying filling it up again. Like I said had to do it three times!!! Let me know

#7 ·
I forgot to get gas tonight because we had a local Subaru meet where we took video's and pictures of the only two BRZ's in Sarnia as well as a couple more WRX's, etc.. We are building up a decent car club here in Sarnia - it's looking' good so far :)

That makes sense what you said about stop pumping after first click. I tried to put as much as I could in the tank and had it click about 4 different times.

Thanks for the tip!

#11 ·
I would suggest you email Subaru about this to make them aware that there is an issue that should be watched, and possibly remedied should the gauge become more of a problem. That goes for anyone having fuel gauge issues the more numbers Subaru gets the more likely they will provide a permanent solution.

#12 ·
Good Point - I just emailed our District Area Service Manager with this email:

Hi Tony,

I bought a BRZ about a month back and I have a couple of issues you should know about already. They are minor, so don’t panic!

1. Fuel Guage – I filled up last week, then drove about 150kms, then I filled back up and the fuel guage didn’t move from the 3/4 mark and only started to go down after about 150k. It’s like it was stuck by memory as after 150K it started moving again.

2. Grasshopper chirping – what is this? At idle when the car is warm, me and about 95% of every other Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S owner has grasshopper sounds coming from the engine bay. Would this be the direct injection?

Other than that, the car is amazing!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Shane Witham
Sales Manager
Glen Fenwick Subaru / Volvo
519-344-7474
877-659-9856
Fenwick Motors | Sarnia, ON

#14 ·
HI SHANE,
I just found the "fix" to the suby fuel guage issue !
simply just "remove the battery "EARTH" TERMINAL FOR 1 MINUITE THEN REPLACE "
guage will reset back to the full mark, then in future don't fill after the first clik on the servo pump.
hopes this helps all members
regards
macka 50
laurie
ballarat
Victoria
AUSTRALIA

#16 ·
Fuel gauge issue of indicating accurately randomly . Long a short story of it was what I found. The feul level sending unit in the passenger side of the fuel tank had the pickup hose going to the divers side laying on top of float lever. I rerouted hose doubling to front side of the sending unit away from lever. Problem solved. This can be done with no repair parts. I opted for a new gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.