Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a good pic(wouldn't paste) and article about where Subaru might be heading over the next few years on Motortrend.com. The odd thing is that it seems that some of what they have said might be double talk. At the shows for the BRZ reps have been asked if this was the platform that the STI was moving too, and they replied no. However Subaru has stated that they want to move the WRX off of the impreza platform, to a more dedicated performance chasis. It would only make since that they would continue to build off of this architecture, even if they were to add back in the all wheel drive. They also discuss the growth of the FA motor and help give insight to what we may be seeing in the next wrx/sti variants...electric turbo's anyone!?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The BRZ is a test motor for the New wrx/sti, thought i see the new WRX/STi Version 11 to be a monster after taking some considerable citisim on the current gen one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The BRZ chassis cannot be converted to AWD. The front axles would connect where the engine is. Also, if the departure from the Impreza line is due to Subaru trying to create a new WRC contender then it will likely be a fiesta-sized hatch.

They also speculated a 1.6 liter turbo for the WRX. WTF?
New WRC rules mandate a Turbo 1.6.

It's still speculation, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the new WRX with an Inline 4 under the hood if all the rumors about Subaru re-entering the WRC are true.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would be really surprised.
The issue would be Homologation rules for the WRC. I havne't been able to locate WRC-class technical regs yet, but the WRC class is supposed to closely mimic the Super2000 rules. In that ruleset, there is a spec transmission and it's for a transverse mounted inline 4. So if the rumors about Subaru getting back into the WRC are true, then it's posible tey may have to drop the boxer in order to comply with FIA regs. And they will need to build a car with a similar engine to meet Homologation regs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Where is the article? Post the link.
That's the problem. As I said earlier, it's still speculation. Here's what we know:
The FIA revamped the rules for the WRC class. Leading to 1.6T engines and smaller cars. (Fiesta sized, not Focus sized)

Subaru announced about a year later that they are divorcing the WRX and STI (Subaru's traditional rally platforms) from the Impreza line which was already oversized for the previous WRC regs.

Subaru appears to be on a small + light kick with the BRZ which fits into the smaller and lighter ruleset for the WRC.

So the current rumor mill is that Subaru is looking at making a WRX that will be competitive in the WRC.

That's pure speculation, but based on some pretty good observations. The new ruleset has brought Mini and VW back to the WRC which was previously just Ford and Citroen. So it certainly appeals to manufacturers more than the old ruleset that was in place when Subaru left.

The rest is roughly outlined above.

So there's two big IFs.

IF Subaru is re-entering the WRC,

and IF the WRC class has a spec transmission,

then Subaru will have to put an I4 in the new WRX/STI.

Like I said, it's not certain, but the possibility is there. We've already seen Subaru break with its AWD-only policy. The Boxer might be next.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Subaru would blend into just what every automaker is.. if they stuck with a inline 4... instead of their super low even flat fours...

That is subaru plans to use the WRX in the WRC. it will be interesting what they plan to do..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts