Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

I took delivery of my WRB BRZ LTD on January 12th and in two months, I have ~2000 miles on it. I refuse to drive it, and drive only on the weekends, for the most part. Never in rainy weather. My backup car is a nice 1976 Ford Thunderbird, in decent conditional and a somewhat collector car with 79k miles on it. I don't want the BRZ to get nicked up and the clearcoat messed up. HAVE I LOST my mind?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I've had my car since September 14th and it only has 1500 miles on it. :) I work from home though so it's just a pleasure car since we take my wife's car if we go out with the kids.

So, in other words, compared to me. . .you have a mental issue as you drive your car too damn much. =P

·
Registered
614 Posts
He's right man. You ARE driving it too much.

I'd have to say that if you weren't worried about the car (everytime I park and walk away I look at my brz in awe) then you are crazy. Its NORMAL to be excessively worried and careful regarding your brz.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Its a $30k car not a $300k car. You bought it. So whether you wanna look at it or drive the piss out of it like I do. Its all your choice.

·
Registered
864 Posts
YES, you are fuctup.
Make that machine work for you, take care of it reasonably well but not being anal about it and in three years you will feel the achievement of being one with the car. After those several years you will realize that you have a used car, but in good condition, and will feel relieved that you don't have to be so anal about it any more.
Good Luck,
Sincerely, Doctor Reinhardt Vanderclumpski, PHD, Clinical Psychology

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's just normal for anyone who has bought a new car..it wears off...but if it doesn't after awhile then I'd be concerned lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, surprised at the number of assholes who replied to this thread.
I only drive my BRZ on weekends, because 1) lots of accidents everyday on the way to work and 2) the parking spot at work are all very small, and there are birds crapping on cars everywhere.
I bought the BRZ for fun. If I didn't have to drive with some of the worst drivers in the world during commute I'd probably commute in it.
But I don't. And there is really nothing wrong with wanting your car to stay as nice as possible as long as possible. I know folks who did that with their 240Z's, and those cars are all worth a fortune these days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
2000 miles?

The national average a year for a car is 10-12 thousand a year and you've had it for 2 months now and are at 2000 miles. Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
864 Posts
BANNER SAYS: Wow, surprised at the number of assholes who replied to this thread.

So am I.

If I saved the money, time, storage and maintenance cost that would have occurred holding the 240Z all those years, invested it, it would also amount to a fortune.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is not a car that will be a valuable collector. They have already made thousands and there are many years production ahead. It is essentially an economy car's mechanicals in a sporty package and it will depreciate like any other $28k Japanese production car. Interestingly, as opposed to it being someting special, I bought it partly because it was a volume production car that I wouldn't feel like needed any special care or I would feel guilty driving hard on a daily basis.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have heard stories of guys intentionally putting the first scratch on their new cars so they don't act so anal about keeping it mint. I would never do this but I do see the logic ;)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Nothing wrong with either.

Some owners like to drive their cars everywhere and all the time. They aren't as concerned about the physical condition of the car.

While others are very particular about keeping their cars in good condition - and only drive cars on nice days.

There is nothing wrong with either. Name calling is not needed here. Different owners, different needs.

If you have another car that you don't really care about why not drive it everyday? Drive the BRZ on the weekends or when you feel like it. Nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with driving it everywhere and getting those battle scars on the car. Different owners, different needs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nothing wrong with either.

Some owners like to drive their cars everywhere and all the time. They aren't as concerned about the physical condition of the car.

While others are very particular about keeping their cars in good condition - and only drive cars on nice days.

There is nothing wrong with either. Name calling is not needed here. Different owners, different needs.

If you have another car that you don't really care about why not drive it everyday? Drive the BRZ on the weekends or when you feel like it. Nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with driving it everywhere and getting those battle scars on the car. Different owners, different needs.
Good post /\

I love my BRZ. I love it's design. I love how it looks. I hate to think of it getting scratched or damaged in any way. I discovered a tear in my psassenger seat shortly after I bought it. I'm pretty sure it happened when I was giving rides to friends.
I found my first rock chip on the bottom of the front after I gave a ride to another friend, driving it hard.

I'm doing my absolute best to take care of the car and its appearance as much as possible AND enjoying driving it every second. (I even drove it in the winter in MI, with all the horibble horrible salt.) If I had a garage to store it in and another car to drive in the winter I would've done that. However, I may have needed to get it out to try it in the snow if I'd done that. It's too hard to keep my hands off. But I also just really like how it looks when it's shiny and clean.

So I suppose I'm a balance of both.

To each their own for sure!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good for you Kauf. I love the car, and will have many more new cars, but for the time being, I will make the BRZ last awhile until I want another new car. Maybe 6 months, maybe 6 years, but in the meantime, whtevr happens, on the road or in my carport, it happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So am I.

If I saved the money, time, storage and maintenance cost that would have occurred holding the 240Z all those years, invested it, it would also amount to a fortune.
I own a house, storage is free. I do all my own maintenance, so that's pretty much free too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally get what you are saying. I take especially good care of my vehicles. My only question is in regards to the "rain"? Is the paint going to run? I live in the Pac NW and I also have a behemoth Suburban LTZ to drive when the conditions get rought. I drove my BRZ away from the dealer on 1/26 and have driven my LTZ twice since. I am lucky with undercover parking, both at work and at home with reserved spots you could park boats on trailers with. Have fun with your new toy! It is an amazing machine begging to be driven.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts