Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that our BRZs come with Iridium Plugs and it has been my understanding that these type of plugs last at least 100K miles, maybe more.

But I was looking at an online BRZ manual and it states to change the plugs at 60K miles!!

Anyone know why??? Can those with a hard copy of the owners manual confirm this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have read that our BRZs come with Iridium Plugs and it has been my understanding that these type of plugs last at least 100K miles, maybe more.

But I was looking at an online BRZ manual and it states to change the plugs at 60K miles!!

Anyone know why??? Can those with a hard copy of the owners manual confirm this?

Thanks!

Visit the Subaru website to download the latest copy of the owner's manual.

Yes, Subaru does in fact call for a plug change at 60k miles. Despite the cost of iridium plugs, though, this is trivial. See my thread, and others, on spark plug replacement: http://www.subarubrzforum.com/9-subaru-brz-general-discussion-forum/2659-routine-spark-plug-replacement-cost.html

While I'd prefer this were not so, I'll probably sell the BRZ before I need to change those plugs. Maybe not. In any case, I reconcile myself to the fact that this is just part of the dues I pay to own this marvelous car.

Overall, maintenance on modern cars is remarkably infrequent and inexpensive. So long as nothing breaks outside of warranty, of course.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Visit the Subaru website to download the latest copy of the owner's manual.

Yes, Subaru does in fact call for a plug change at 60k miles. Despite the cost of iridium plugs, though, this is trivial. See my thread, and others, on spark plug replacement: http://www.subarubrzforum.com/9-subaru-brz-general-discussion-forum/2659-routine-spark-plug-replacement-cost.html
While I'd prefer this were not so, I'll probably sell the BRZ before I need to change those plugs. Maybe not. In any case, I reconcile myself to the fact that this is just part of the dues I pay to own this marvelous car.

Overall, maintenance on modern cars is remarkably infrequent and inexpensive. So long as nothing breaks outside of warranty, of course.
When I get mine, it will go up on a lift the next day to look and see if a plug change is possible without a bunch of bullshit like is listed in the service manual. This is one downside of having a low-mounted flat-4 motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends, where I live, 87 is the norm, my town has 91. On my trip up from Loveland, CO, all I could get was 87, so two tanks of that, now on third tank at 91. No detonation that I could tell and the car ran fine. Would I use it all the time? No, but it's not going to blow the engine up either. At sea level it could be worse though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
When I get mine, it will go up on a lift the next day to look and see if a plug change is possible without a bunch of bullshit like is listed in the service manual. This is one downside of having a low-mounted flat-4 motor.
A downside? Even after 60,000 miles? Seems to me this would be a minor inconvenience after having gotten to 60,000.

·
Registered
295 Posts
well its not possible this is something that is a huge pain i realized when i started looking at this car.. and how the subframe would be impacted being dropped so many times and things siezing...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It depends, where I live, 87 is the norm, my town has 91. On my trip up from Loveland, CO, all I could get was 87, so two tanks of that, now on third tank at 91. No detonation that I could tell and the car ran fine. Would I use it all the time? No, but it's not going to blow the engine up either. At sea level it could be worse though.
You didn't notice any difference at 87?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks!
My 2016 owner's manual said to change the plugs at 60,000 miles or 5 years. I have almost 37,000 miles on my BRZ.. Do I really need to change the plugs at 5 years?

·
Registered
2022 BRZ LTD/AT
11 Posts
Subaru recommends running 93, and 91 is required. So yes, running anything lower will probably cause major detonation.
High octane gasoline is recommended. Most if not all new motors are computer controlled with sensors everywhere. You are not likely to hear any detonation except for extreme situations. The engine control will automatically tune for the fuel. Just use the highest octane fuel you can find at a station that pumps Top Tier Gasoline (additives and detergents). Fun fact: premium gas has slightly less energy than regular gas if you take it to a lab where you can measure the minuscule difference. Only engines designed to run high octane fuel can get the performance advantage that comes with high compression ratios. Occasional tank of regular isn’t going to be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts