4cyl 1,998 cc displacement
under 7 seconds 0-60 mph
143 mph top speed
2,690 lbs weight lbs
$25,000 (est) retail in U.S.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
You make a good point, the Subaru BRZ specifications are close to the BMW E30 M3 Specifications but I wouldn't call the BRZ the modern day E30 M3. After all the Subaru BRZ (aka Scion FR-S aka Toyota GT 86) is technically the modern day Toyota AE86.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make a good point, the Subaru BRZ specifications are close to the BMW E30 M3 Specifications but I wouldn't call the BRZ the modern day E30 M3. After all the Subaru BRZ (aka Scion FR-S aka Toyota GT 86) is technically the modern day Toyota AE86.
The BRZ/FRS/GT86 has the spirit of the old AE86 but not really a modern day version. I know I've had 2 AE86s one stock one lightly modified, they were fun but slow. Not to mention mechanically made by Subaru not Toyota.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just from price point alone, they're in totally different leagues. 35K back then is like 50K today. Sure they share similarities, but so do every other FR lightweight sports car. Even though they have similar power to weight ratios, it was more impressive in the E30 M3's era.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just from price point alone, they're in totally different leagues. 35K back then is like 50K today. Sure they share similarities, but so do every other FR lightweight sports car. Even though they have similar power to weight ratios, it was more impressive in the E30 M3's era.
It's more impressive that Subaru can make a car with performance of an old M3 but costing a lot less even with all the safety amenities like airbags of today. You would think with inflation the BRZ would cost $50K.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Agree! Impressive back then, now... not so much.

It's more impressive that Subaru can make a car with performance of an old M3 but costing a lot less even with all the safety amenities like airbags of today. You would think with inflation the BRZ would cost $50K.
With today's expectations, the BRZ isn't out of this world impressive but it's acceptable for what it is. ATM it's pretty basic. Just look at all the other cars out right now that can be compared to the BRZ.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree! Impressive back then, now... not so much.

With today's expectations, the BRZ isn't out of this world impressive but it's acceptable for what it is. ATM it's pretty basic. Just look at all the other cars out right now that can be compared to the BRZ.
I wouldn't compare any other cars today to the E30 M3, I just don't see any that's close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts