Subaru BRZ Forum banner
14K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jefrey 
#1 ·
G'day lads, I was just wondering whether its worth getting coilovers or going with lowering springs etc?

Kind of new to this whole thing, cheers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I would find it very hard to believe that coil overs are illegal. As long as they are quality coils that have passed rigorous quality tests there should be no problem. I do know that certain areas in the US and other countries have a minimum and maximum ride height allowed, as some people lift their trucks to where they could roll easily and certain people lower their cars so much they impede the flow of traffic dodging potholes, driving over rail road tracks and into lots with a bump in the pavement. Look at the laws in your area about ride height rather than a suspension modification. I've seen plenty of slammed cars come out of Australia (in photos of course lol)

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure you are right op. Australia has some pretty crazy laws about modding street cars. If it is truly the case you could always buy a set that allow for stock ride height and lower them when you want as to not to draw attention that you are modded.

#7 · (Edited)
"Coilovers" really means "adjustable spring perches".

As has been pointed out, Subaru uses McPherson struts which are already "coilovers" at the front. The BRZ also happens to use coilovers at the rear even though using a double wishbone setup.

There is no magic to fitting coilovers except it makes modification of the suspension very simple.

The ONLY reason to change out your factory coilovers for new ones is to change the ride height by fitting a set of coilovers with adjustable spring perches. And, really, this is only if you wish to custom set a particular ride height or switch from one ride height to another. Indeed, if lowering your car is illegal where you live then that will be what your mates are actually saying.

If you only want to change spring or damper rates then the factory already fit coilovers and somebody, including probably Subaru/Toyota fairly soon, will sell you a set of stiffer springs and dampers that will fit right in. Generally speaking stiffer springs are also shorter and will drop the ride height modestly all by themselves. Also, factory parts will be legal if sold into your market.

Finally, don't be fooled into lowering your BRZ thinking that will improve handling. It won't.

Roll effects depend on the moment of inertia between the car's center of gravity and the longitudinal axis passing though the roll centers of the suspension. Unless you know where those geometric points are (and you don't, trust me on that) you can't know what effect lowering might have. Lowering alters suspension geometry also, with unpredictable effects on handling. Fitting wider and larger wheels will provide much bigger handling gains for your money, go to 18x8 with appropriate tires. Then you'll be wanting a supercharger or turbo!

I can pretty much assure you the factory suspension fitted to the BRZ can deliver vastly higher grip levels just by fitting "proper" tires. Be warned though, engine torque is so low you may find fitting better tires spoils the fun a bit. My BRZ already corners as on rails on the VERY boring stock tires. Mind you, I am still breaking in the engine so the yellow TRC light has only flashed momentarily so far.

For the money, buy much better tires before you spend ANY money on suspension bits. The stock BRZ tires are Grand Touring summer tires (amusingly called "high performance" by Subaru here in Canada, they are also fitted to the Toyota Prius!). The reason the BRZ is so entertainingly tossable is those modest tires. If you are wanting to get serious about ultimate handling then just beetle on down to your tire shop and fit a set of Michelin Pilot Supersports, Continental Contact 5 or Pirelli PZero Nero. If it doesn't rain much where you are try to fit a set of Michelin Sport Cups or Pirelli PZero Corsa. Toyo, Yokohama and Bridgestone all have equivalent tires.

Then get some painkillers for your neck.

#9 ·
As much as I agree with almost everything you said, the blanket statement of lowering your brz will decrease handling simply cannot be true. Same with making the car unpredictable. Unless you have specific knowledge about a coilover set up you used at a specific height this is just up in the air.

#11 ·
Ain't necessarily so. Effects of lowering the center of gravity depend on where the roll axis is.

Lowering plays havoc with suspension alignments as the designed in effects from suspension travel can be defeated.

Lowering is generally done for high speed aerodynamic effects irrelevant to street cars. If lowering this car was a good idea Subaru would have done so.

Fit stickier tires and you'll get more for your money.

#13 ·
Lowering improves aero dynamics and allows your tires to grip more. We arent talking about cutting springs and slamming the car. There is right way to lower a car. There are plenty of after market parts to put said geometry back to original angles while sitting lower than stock. But if you need proof try taking a suv around a slalom track. Doesnt matter how sticky the tires are. You will lose grip. Then drive a your BRZ around the same track. Feel the difference? And Subaru wouldnt lower it because it would effect normal driving. IE getting into your driveway.

#17 ·
That's actually sensible. Many manufacturers offering a sports version of a regular model drop the sports model no more than 25 mm and often only 13 mm. SAAB comes to mind: their Aero models were 13 mm lower than standard. Audi dropped their B5 S4 only 20 mm or so.

100 mm is just under 4 inches of ground clearance. For street use you don't want to go any lower than about 85 mm or you start to risk banging your sump, transmission or differential hard on the bumps in the road. At 75 mm you can't even clear driveways or speed bumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.