Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure I'm just being paranoid.

The car just generates alot of heat, if I don't have the air on, I feel like it's summer. The air coming into the vehicle is warm, verging on hot.

The temperature gauge is staying right below mid ,and there's coolant and oil and all that fun stuff. I mean it's only been 640 miles.

So is it just naturally hot inside? My old cars never had that heat coming into the vehicle, so I just wanted to check.

Thank you

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine (BRZ Limited manual) doesn't generate heat unless the heater is on or it's warm outside with no HVAC on ... take to the dealer for warranty work/check.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I noticed this too this past summer. Seems to be a lot of hot air from the vents just using fresh air in, with no AC on. longer than other vehicles I have, and had. Usually notice it more after stopping the car for a bit say at lunch time or something. I end up turning the AC on to cool things down then shut it off and IT's ok. I'm guessing it's the nature of the beast. might be that it's just a hot heater core even with everything set to lowest temp. must leak hot air past heater box doors or something. or just too much hot coolant getting through the heater core. valve not closing enough? who knows with these climate control systems. In the old days with knobs and cables you knew the heater box doors were closed and the heater valve was closed. In my Tundra, you would get warm air for a bit until you got down the road a mile or two. The BRZ vent air comes out hot for much longer and never really seems to cool down to outside air ambient temp.
I'd be curious to know if it "is what it is" or if it really is a problem

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have auto AC or manual? The HVAC system seems to stay at the same temp setting even if it's off, so you could be getting air at the last temp you had the system set to. Otherwise, I'd say the valve routing coolant to the heater core is stuck or not being moved by the controls. Nothing similar on my car with auto AC, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the answer for you that I found was my issue as well...

When you have no air on, and you're just driving around, sometimes you get hot air, sometimes you don't right?

Well what happens on my BRZ Limited is that fresh air passes through the vents and comes out either hot or cold based on what my interior thermostat was set to last. If you go to turn your air or heater on, my guess is that your car will be set to a higher temp that the outside air is. This leads to hot air passing through your vents even if you don't have the heater on. If this is the case, turn your thermostat down to Lo or low 60's and then turn your air off completely. Drive your car around and you should feel fresh outside air coming in at a lower temp than before. It's also the same thing if you have your air aimed at either your face, feet, or whatever. If you drive around with no air/heat on, it will push the air towards whatever spot you told it to before you turned your air off (face, feet, both)

Hope this was the answer to your problem

-Bret

1 - 5 of 5 Posts