Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2015 BRS Limited in white pearl and I'm a little worried.

1) When I drove off the lot with 6 miles, shifting was crazy smooth. 220 miles later and shifting isn't quite as smooth anymore. Shifting is "feeling" a little "harder" in 1st and 2nd gear and I'm feeling/hearing a sort of "thud or bump" when putting it in 1st and 2nd. Is this normal?

2) I haven't really done a good job at "breaking" in my new car aka keeping it under 4000rpm. I haven't red lined her by any means but I have definitely been having fun taking her to higher rmps and enjoying how fast she is. Is not keeping her under 4000rpm such a bad thing?

3) I sometimes smell the clutch slightly. Is this normal since it's a brand new car or am I doing something wrong?

4) Any general advice, suggestions, or maintenance advice since I'm a newbie in owning a BRAND NEW manual car?

I have driven stick shift before but this is my first time buying a brand new car and committing to driving stick shift full time so I definitely need help all the help I can get.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 6500 miles on my BRZ Limited 2013 and have noticed the clunk between 1st and 2nd gear occasionally from the beginning without any overall ill effects. During the first 1000 miles I kept my car under 4000 rpm and all seems fine with the engine and I don't see how yours would be affected by occasionally going up to and beyond 4000 rpm. The clutch smell I would have checked out after checking you have the correct amount of clutch fluid.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1: normal, 1st to 2nd can be notchy. esp when cold. and depending on shift timing etc. it will get a bit better after a few thousand but it's the nature of the beast. It's a close ratio tranny don't forget.
2: you're fine. don't sweat it. Change your oil earlier than recommended. I did my first at 2K.
3: normal. lot's a new stuff to burn off. I noticed the same but it eventually went away

·
Registered
483 Posts
Agree.

I notice the 1/2 shift is notchy or high effort when the transmission is cold. This issue gives away after the first couple of cold shifts.

Too late to worry about break in. It is important to drive the engine very hard once it has been broken in. If you didn't use full throttle much and didn't go over 4,000 rpm much then all will be well. What they don't want you doing is using full throttle over 4,000 rpm for any length of time. You do want to load the engine up for short periods to seat the rings. Once the 1,000 miles are completed you should drive the engine hard and make sure you redline it with your foot on the floor, in gear of course, several times. If you haven't done so then do it now.

The clutch is a little tricky to get used to and slipping it a little is a common solution. For about 5,000 miles the clutch plate is still bedding in and may stink a bit now and again. If it is always smelling of burnt toast or worse, burnt running shoe, then you're overheating the clutch and you should stop doing that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts