Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am planning on retiring one of my vehicles and was looking at the BRZ. Seems a pretty reliable vehicle and lots of fun to drive. 3 questions for you:

1. What maintenance is required for this rwd vehicle? Oil changes every 6,000 miles or so (Mobil 1 ... 0W20? Or what?) and a rear diff change once / year or every 2 years and a manual tranny oil change (how often?) and what else? Is the transfer case shared w/ tranny? A timing belt? (Or does it have a lifetime chain?) what else? Not asking about the tires or windshield washer, brake fluid every 2-3 yrs, air filters (cabin and engine).

2. I saw a thread here about winter driving ... Anyone actually drove it in the winter? I live in Alberta (Edmonton) and winter is not a joke. I have a Toyota Tundra and wife is driving an Outback, but I was thinking the BRZ would be my year-round vehicle ... Going to work, groceries ... Why couldn't a guy have some fun too doing all these? :)

3. Reliability ... In your honest opinion, is this a 200,000 - 300,000 miles vehicle, like the Outback, etc?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't speak for reliability yet since its only a year old, but Subies and Toys tend to last forever if you take care of them.

As for maintenance schedules and such, here's a link to the owners manual.

Subaru BRZ Owners Manual
Thank you, but that manual is only good to learn how to change bulbs or what to do if you swallowed electrolyte. Nothing on maintenance requirements. Haven't read all 500 pages either, but briefly browse...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Based entirely upon the vehicles you now drive and being in Edmonton, I suggest that you get an all wheel drive (AWD) sporty car like a Subaru WRX. The fun difference will be minimal. I live in Michigan but put my BRZ away November 1st thru March 31st but still know what it takes for winter driving. Keep in mind that the road clearance is less than the Outback. You'll be pushing snow instead of driving over it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ ALLWHITE- driving the FRS/BRZ in Alberta/Saskatchewan side is only possible if you will put a coilovers on and lift it up on winter time. Im from SK and I have a BRZ. The clearance is too low. You'll gonna end up dragging all the snow/ice on the road or parking lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based entirely upon the vehicles you now drive and being in Edmonton, I suggest that you get an all wheel drive (AWD) sporty car like a Subaru WRX. The fun difference will be minimal. I live in Michigan but put my BRZ away November 1st thru March 31st but still know what it takes for winter driving. Keep in mind that the road clearance is less than the Outback. You'll be pushing snow instead of driving over it.
The WRX and the BRZ are very different vehicles. If I was looking for a WRX I would be on a different forum. The BRZ is a rwd vehicle, coupe, small engine. Nothing like a WRX. I never drove one (trying to keep out for a while) but I think it would be much more fun. I am not looking for power but for the handling. I do get your point though ... Will give it another year or 2 to decide :) ... If I resist the temptation. The coilover sounds like a good idea though :). Thanks, fellow Canadians!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
i actually live in Edmonton...
I have been driving my BRZ now... even when theres snow on the road and ice...
with all season tires still but the trunk is at least a 100lbs heavier...

my car just hit 1000km... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
2. I saw a thread here about winter driving ... Anyone actually drove it in the winter? I live in Alberta (Edmonton) and winter is not a joke. I have a Toyota Tundra and wife is driving an Outback, but I was thinking the BRZ would be my year-round vehicle ... Going to work, groceries ... Why couldn't a guy have some fun too doing all these? :)
If you recall you and Calgary had some serious weather last year in November. I recall reports of 200 cars in the ditch. We drove through that the next morning from Jasper and passed anything we wanted to on the highway. The day before we drove from Lake Louise to Jasper on 93 which is not really a winter road. We were pushing snow all the way to the Columbia Ice fields.

Yeah, I drive it all winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if you still need any info on this, but I have a little experience in driving my BRZ in the winter.

I got myself some studded winters, threw 250lbs of sand bags in my trunk, and I have yet to come accross any issues driving in the snow. I live in Sudbury, Ontario, therefore winter is also no joke. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have continental extreme winter and the BRZ has performed well. You just have to watch out for ice chunks because how low the front is. Also 4 or more inches you are plowing. Very stable car in the snow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts