Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a sporty topic, but I am really impressed with the mileage of the BRZ as a daily driver and for trips. That is if you aren't shifting at red-line all of the time.

I tend to get better than 30 mpg a tank in my commute through suburban/rural type area. It's about 25 miles each way with 15 along secondary roads in suburban areas and 10 miles of highway. I get to work a little after 7 so miss the Cincinnati rush hour, but leave a little before 5 so I am in its beginning. The return is usually closer to 28 to 29 mpg.

But on a recent trip from Maineville, OH (north of Cincinnati) to Streamwood, Ill (west of O'hare outside Chicago) I got 37.6 mpg keeping it between 3.1K and 3.4K rpm (let's not tell the cops how fast I was really going) driveway to driveway. And I got 35.2 mpg on the way back with most of the trip between 3.6K and 4.0K rpm. There was a lot more speed fluctuation on the return trip. And that is with having to stop and pay tolls, and 2 rest breaks either way.

Which reminds me, I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago should really be 6 lanes. Nothing like getting stuck behind a truck doing 66 mph passing a truck doing 65 mph. It's miles and miles of backup and frustration!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoever is in the backseat for that trip must be hating life! I guess if the smaller stretched out across the seat they would have more leg room :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm seriously impressed too, and have no idea why they rated the manual at 30mpg highway. With mixed city/highway, I have yet to get under 31.8mpg. Very impressive!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmm.... I keep seeing these awesome numbers. Mine is nowhere near these numbers. Granted I only have about 350 miles on it so far. I keep it under 4k rpm, and right now my average for city/highway is 22.7. Did you guys notice a big jump in mpg after the first oil change?

·
Registered
79 Posts
hmm.... I keep seeing these awesome numbers. Mine is nowhere near these numbers. Granted I only have about 350 miles on it so far. I keep it under 4k rpm, and right now my average for city/highway is 22.7. Did you guys notice a big jump in mpg after the first oil change?
I have almost 1,000 miles on mine and before my first fill up I only average 22.9. It has gotten better with each fill up, the second fill up was 25.4, and the third was 26. Now on my fourth I am averaging 28.2 and that is mostly city driving with very little highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have almost 1,000 miles on mine and before my first fill up I only average 22.9. It has gotten better with each fill up, the second fill up was 25.4, and the third was 26. Now on my fourth I am averaging 28.2 and that is mostly city driving with very little highway.
Awesome! thats what I was kinda hoping for. Going on a road trip this weekend that should put me over the 1000 mile mark. So hopefully I'll see some better numbers with some long highway driving. But then I'll be out of the the break-in period...... who knows what I'll do to the rpms then :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive 60% two lane backroads (45 - "55" mph), balance highway (55 up to "65" :cool:). Getting 36 avg on the computer this tank. AC on about 1/3 the time, with some spirited driving in the mix. The car is spectacularly good on gas.

Think I'm getting about 375 smiles per gallon :D

Edit: I filled up this afternoon. Computer says 36.3, gas tank says 35.0.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I either drive my car really nice, or like I stole it. On average I get about 28.7-29.4.

However... I drove my girlfriends non-SI Civic and it stomps this cars gas mileage. Not to say I'd rather own a Civic, but it kind of made the BRZ look like a gas guzzler in comparison.

·
Registered
42 Posts
after I installed a nameless catback and overpipe(high flow cat) and K&N panel filter I went from 34-35 to 36-37. I can't wait to install the header, maybe I'll get 38.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get 25 commuting but I like the way the engine sounds over 5K. I did get 36 on a six-hour road trip though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, I can't believe everyone is getting these types of numbers! I commute every day to work and it's all highway and I keep it around the speed limit or a touch over. I drive the typical "city" driving on the weekends and I average 18.8MPG!!! (I did the conversion from Canadian 8litres/Km as my car tells me what I'm averaging. I usually get between 480-500km's on a tank, which is 298-310 miles per tank. On top of that, wher I live, it currently costs over $50 canadian to fill my tank. I guess I'm just going based on how and where I normally drive and am not considering a long road trip that is all highway, but for me, an average of 18.8mpg is pretty week. I previously had a 2006 BMW 330i with a straight six and got aq consistent 26mpg with the exact same driving. I don't know??? Just saying.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow, I can't believe everyone is getting these types of numbers! I commute every day to work and it's all highway and I keep it around the speed limit or a touch over. I drive the typical "city" driving on the weekends and I average 18.8MPG!!! (I did the conversion from Canadian 8litres/Km as my car tells me what I'm averaging. I usually get between 480-500km's on a tank, which is 298-310 miles per tank. On top of that, wher I live, it currently costs over $50 canadian to fill my tank. I guess I'm just going based on how and where I normally drive and am not considering a long road trip that is all highway, but for me, an average of 18.8mpg is pretty week. I previously had a 2006 BMW 330i with a straight six and got aq consistent 26mpg with the exact same driving. I don't know??? Just saying.
Are you sure you're keeping your BRZ around or just a touch over the speed limit?

I can't believe you actually got an average of 18.8 mpg...

The least I saw was from stop&go when I first had the car to practice manual which averaged 26 mpg, not to mention my recent trip of 4.5 hrs of highway got me up to an average of 39 mpg lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears you used incorrect conversion. 8 litres per 100 km is equal to 29.4 miles per US gallon (36.75 miles per Imperial gallon).
I have over 5,000 km on my BRZ (6 speed manual) and am getting 7.0 litres / 100 km (33.6 miles per US gallon) I hope this makes you feel better about your new BRZ. Have lots of fun with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you sure you're keeping your BRZ around or just a touch over the speed limit?

I can't believe you actually got an average of 18.8 mpg...

The least I saw was from stop&go when I first had the car to practice manual which averaged 26 mpg, not to mention my recent trip of 4.5 hrs of highway got me up to an average of 39 mpg lol
It appears you used incorrect conversion. 8 litres per 100 km is equal to 29.4 miles per US gallon (36.75 miles per Imperial gallon).
I have over 5,000 km on my BRZ (6 speed manual) and am getting 7.0 litres / 100 km (33.6 miles per US gallon) I hope this makes you feel better about your new BRZ. Have lots of fun with it.
Ooops! My bad! I totally did the wrong conversion and am getting WAY better mileage than I thought I was!! (29mpg average or 8litres per 100km's). Looks like I forgot it was per 100km's!! Thanks for the correction! I also realized how much smaller the tank is compared to my BMW which makes a huge difference as well!
feeling much, much better now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts