Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking - if you want to release a full STI version, it would be worth testing it to make sure all the new suspension and braking components work seamlessly upon launch.

And what better way to do that than to release 500 copies of an almost-STI version in Japan? Japan is a friendly market that will accept the higher price for that kind of limited edition, and buyers will be less likely to complain if some of the parts need tweaking. They simply needed to hold back the horsepower upgrades for the big launch. Since many Japanese FS buyers will likely upgrade horsepower and track their cars, they will get real world data on how the parts perform under stress.

The tS thus makes a perfect test bed for the global release of the 2015 STI. Makes complete sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the STI was just the tS with more horsepower and maybe some carbon body panels. I just hope they go with a 2.5 liter for the power, as it will keep the drivetrain simple and light.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I would be very surprised to see any change in displacement. They'll probably just develop the FA20 a little more with intake/exhaust mods, cams, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive been super interested in what the next step is for the FA20- the leaks earlier today said that the next WRX will uses a boosted version of the FA20 for just under 300hp, with the later STi version clocking somewhere north of 330- I love turbos, but owning a BRZ has reignited my passion for NA engines- if Subaru is truly going to do an STi version of the BRZ, I would be more than OK with keeping it NA and boosting the displacement. Give me 2.5L, more aggressive cam, 8K redline, and a proper header-back performance exhaust, and I would legit consider a trade-in 2015. In the meantime, what I'd love to know is, what is the most HP you can wring out of the FA20 while keeping it naturally aspirated (and avoiding a block overhaul)- simple maths from the parts I've been oogling say somewhere around 240-250? (Header 5-7hp, exhaust 7-10hp, new pulley set 9-11hp, air intake + sound intake delete 5hp, carbon drive shaft 5hp, ECUtek tune ??hp)

that digressed... mental runoff from long day of studying, Im excited to see more news on whats coming next though :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts