Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Toronto and wasted to know if the BRZ can handle winters like the one we had last year, -40 bs lol. Im 19 and this is gonna be my first car, I've been driving since i was 15 and i can drive rwd, manuals and all that, I'm sure i can control the car but can the car handle like 6 inches of snow or slush, and can i rely on it to get me from point A to point B. if not i may have to look elsewhere as much as i don't want to

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

I bought my BRZ in the middle of 2013 and have so far driven it as my daily driver through just one winter. However, as you know, the '13-'14 winter was a spicy one.

I threw some Bridgestone Blizzak's on it and I have to say the car did pretty darn well through almost any type of thick snow or slop. I never got stuck anywhere and I drive ~1500km per month. That said, I wasn't brave enough to use the car if there was more than 6" of fresh powder on an unsalted road, but regardless, the car's low centre of gravity and the Blizzak's were able to make the BRZ a driveable winter car. You'll have to get used to the handling characteristics of the car (i.e., fishtails and fumbling around with the TCS), but once you do, it's a reasonably safe and fun car to drive in the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i asked my dad about this and he says if you know how to drive then a RWD should be fine, i think I'm good enough at handling fishtails, and yeah last winter was INSANE lol imagine finding an empty parking lot with 1-3cm of fresh powder on it :cool: it could make for a fun time. Are you in the pickering area? I've seen some guy in a sweet blue BRZ a couple of times, mainly on the highway

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes. The only issue is can the driver?

Traction is tricky because the Torsen is pretty tight. Four snow tires are essential. Weight in the trunk made no difference for me, ymmv.

I carry a shovel, RONA sold one with a collapsing handle which is quite nifty. I intend to carry traction pads also. The car sits 4.9 in off the ground so being able to dig out of deep snow and get initial start up traction are important.

The rwd needs getting used to if you previously drive fwd or awd. Technically, rwd gives better grip to accelerate but cornering is more challenging. With the electronic stability ON this car is easy to drive in winter but not as easy as a fwd hatch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i keep traction pads and a small shovel too, once before i got them i got stuck and had to use my mats. I intend on getting winter tires for sure. i don't think the fact that this car is a RWD should affect its handling as we all know this car handles like a champ and i know how to drive red's in some bas conditions, i do believe some people over estimate how much harder it is, you just need a little more control

1 - 5 of 5 Posts