Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed at 6am a ship named Cougar Ace docked at Davisville Port in RI. It looks like it came straight from Japan. In 2006 it needed to be rescued and 4700 Mazda were destroyed in the process.

This is not an NYK Line vessel which has shipped many Subaru to the US including the first allocations of the BRZ. However, I'm hoping this is the one :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Forget all that. "Cougar Ace"? Are you serious? Sounds like a buddy of mine.

Here's a bad BRZ delivery (LOL):

Now we know why everybody's still waiting for their pre-ordered BRZs.

That's actually a shot of the incident reported by ngabdala.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She came from Germany. There is a NYK Line ship at Baltimore that is going to Davisville next. Demeter Leader. The Gentle leader in May stopped at Baltimore before Davisville so who knows.

Do you know the date your dealership got your VIN? Back in May in New England , people got their VIN and 13 days later the cars docked at Davisville.

Seven Seas Highway car ship is docked at Davisville, not sure if she's got Subies onboard though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
haha I did not expect this to be about a cargo ship LOL. And that ship in the pic above looks like it is just taking a lil' nap before it continues.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL 4700 Mazda died at sea that day in that ship. They were unsuccessful in a lawsuit against the ship.

haha I did not expect this to be about a cargo ship LOL. And that ship in the pic above looks like it is just taking a lil' nap before it continues.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure when my dealer got the VIN, I put my deposit down a couple of weeks ago, and I'm guessing they had the VIN for about a week before that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL 4700 Mazda died at sea that day in that ship. They were unsuccessful in a lawsuit against the ship.
It's an interesting story - I remember they were hoping to save a good number of the cars as only a few of them were actually submerged or damaged physically. The problem is that the vast majority of them stayed in their straps but as the ship listed, it put them in precarious angles and nobody really knew for sure what ill-effects that would've had on the various components of the vehicle. They tried to simulate the effects in their own labs, but adding to the complexity was the fact that the cars weren't all parked in the same orientation, so there were too many permutations of angles that they had to deal with and the risk was too high that there would be compromised integrity that they just couldn't take a chance on. The decision was made to destroy the vast majority of them.

Turns out, in the process of destroying them, that they did see proof of problems which validated their decision to not unleash these vehicles onto the public.

Here - found the article: Cougar Ace: The Great $103 Million Snafu at Sea - Feature - Car and Driver

·
Registered
145 Posts
She came from Germany. There is a NYK Line ship at Baltimore that is going to Davisville next. Demeter Leader. The Gentle leader in May stopped at Baltimore before Davisville so who knows.
Looks like that one left Japan in June and was in Mexico before Baltimore? Davisville is her last port before going home. This one could be it. Due to port tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like that one left Japan in June and was in Mexico before Baltimore? Davisville is her last port before going home. This one could be it. Due to port tonight.

Assuming mine would be on this one too. How long do you think before we find out if it's it?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you get that info from? If it left Japan in June there's no way my car is on it. IN New England we get the VIN when the ship departs Japan.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I also now see the Hercules Leader. It went from Jacksonville and on it's way to Baltimore now.

I don't know how to see where it was before Jacksonville.

Edit: I've come to conclude my BRZ is on neither of these ships. I think it is too soon to be seeing it here already from Japan.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where did you get that info from? If it left Japan in June there's no way my car is on it. IN New England we get the VIN when the ship departs Japan.
Shipspotting.com has port history but now I'm not so sure of its accuracy. It doesn't show Hercules Leader to be in North America.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK, got more info - Hercules Leader left Kawasaki Ko, Japan on July 4th. Demeter Leader left the same port on June 23.

Are we positive that NE dealers get their VINs upon the ships leaving Japan?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No I'm not but in a post on this forum the user @BRZREP that works for Patrick Subaru said it does. I may have misread it but I don't think I did. And, as far as I know Subaru in Japan ships from Kawasaki.

Which website are you using to see where the ship departed from ?

Are we positive that NE dealers get their VINs upon the ships leaving Japan?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Zenith Leader left Yokohama on 7/21 and just crossed most of the Pacific. My money is on this one.

It is getting close to it's destination which is Mexico and I hope it goes through the Panama Canal after that.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts