Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Nick from Columbus, OH. I am pretty new to the scene and just picked up my BRZ about a month ago. I work 3rd shift and spend quite a bit of time browsing the ft86 forums. I'm a car mod n00b but hope to learn some stuff and get my hands dirty in time. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy to the BRZ for a while but I like to see others creativity come through in their cars. I'll probably be picking everyone's brain here shortly. =)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome Nick.

It's probably a good idea to see what others have done, formulate your own ideas/plans, and then proceed with mods in an orderly manner.
If you plan correctly you won't have to undo or redo something with the irritation of additional cost and labor.

Most of my mods to date have everything to do with appearance or minor functionality but nothing to do with performance.
Nearly a year in; I still haven't decided if or what I want to do in that arena. On the street, the car is just too darned fun as-is. If I decide to track it I'll open a whole bag of possibilities.

BTW, what transmission, color, and trim level did you get?

Happy motoring in the New Year!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I picked up a manual with Limited pkg in the pearl white. I found one for $24k with 4.5k miles just a couple hours away in WV. I had been pricing around for a while and all it took was some snarky remarks from the sales guy at Byers Subaru in Dublin for me to lay off one they priced at $25.5k with 18k miles. The guy spent more time trying to sell me the extended warranty than anything else. And it didn't help that he baby sat me during the test drive...leaving my buddy to have to squeeze into the back. :rolleyes: I should have sent him a Christmas card thanking him for saving me over a $1500 and ten thousand miles. lol

I have been sitting on the idea of winter tires on the stock wheels or to try to add some weight in the back and cross my fingers for a semi-tame winter. But its a crap shoot every week here in Ohio. Window tint will probably be my first purchase. haha. Only because I can't decide on a shifter knob. I am also going to look into a little sound proofing. I would like to cut down slightly on the road noise without adding too much weight. But I am not looking to throw a bunch of money at that either because I am sure that once the nice weather hits its going to be windows down and tires squealing anyways. ;)

I am thinking the warmer months will make me glad I chose the BRZ over the VW GTI I had an eye on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I picked up a manual with Limited pkg in the pearl white. I found one for $24k with 4.5k miles just a couple hours away in WV. I had been pricing around for a while and all it took was some snarky remarks from the sales guy at Byers Subaru in Dublin for me to lay off one they priced at $25.5k with 18k miles. The guy spent more time trying to sell me the extended warranty than anything else. And it didn't help that he baby sat me during the test drive...leaving my buddy to have to squeeze into the back. :rolleyes: I should have sent him a Christmas card thanking him for saving me over a $1500 and ten thousand miles. lol

I have been sitting on the idea of winter tires on the stock wheels or to try to add some weight in the back and cross my fingers for a semi-tame winter. But its a crap shoot every week here in Ohio. Window tint will probably be my first purchase. haha. Only because I can't decide on a shifter knob. I am also going to look into a little sound proofing. I would like to cut down slightly on the road noise without adding too much weight. But I am not looking to throw a bunch of money at that either because I am sure that once the nice weather hits its going to be windows down and tires squealing anyways. ;)

I am thinking the warmer months will make me glad I chose the BRZ over the VW GTI I had an eye on.
Congratulations on snagging a great deal. :D
Enjoy the car ... especially since you don't have to endure the pain of gentle driving during the 1,000 mile break-in period.

You might want to get WeatherTech floor liners first thing.
Even in drought-stricken central Texas they've protected my carpet from wet and muddy feet after the rare rain.

I too have walked away from a stealership because of a snarky salesperson. That kind of attitude makes me concerned about after-sales service.
Oh, I make it a point to drive enthusiastically when a salesperson insists on babysitting me during a test drive. After all, I'm not a young hot-shoe who's going to abuse/hoon a tester that will eventually become someone's pride and joy [perhaps even mine].

I feel fortunate that both Austin-area dealerships seem to understand that negative comments on the Internet and social media can kill a reputation faster than the deer that hit my Miata [to the tune of over $4k worth of damage] just before Christmas. :(
Almost took the BRZ to the party. Sure glad that I didn't!

Again, welcome to the owner ranks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
I will definitely have to look into those floor mats and I am sorry to hear about your Miata. Did the deer just shrug it off? :p

And social media can be a huge impact on the reputation of customer service based businesses. It's pretty routine for people to google review the hell out of a place or item before they spend their money. I am 28 but I figured by this age I should receive some respect as an adult. I don't believe I give the impression that I am there to joy ride cars. I make decent money and unfortunately they didn't treat me well enough to earn my business. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a great experience when I walked into the new car showroom and didn't even have anyone greet me for the 20 minutes I was in there looking at a nice and shiny blue BRZ. Their loss. I am glad I found a down-to-earth dealer in WV. I am very happy with my experience there even with the slight paperwork error. They were even kind enough to meet me halfway with the car and paperwork.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The deer staggered into the brush. I didn't follow, but I have do doubt that it soon became coyote food.

There's a fine line between a salesperson tackling me as soon as I exit my car and ignoring me when I've been in a showroom for 20+ minutes.
The good ones know to allow some breathing room before approaching.

I've experienced both and avoided said dealerships when considering future purchases.
I'm reminded of one experience when I was in my 20s. A sales manager sidled up to the salesperson and openly said to give me a lowball offer. [I was selling cars at the time while attending the University. I knew that they were trying to milk me for all I was worth. (Not much at the time.)] I gave both an earful and then left never to return.

You're fortunate to have found a dealer who talks and deals straight. The charlatans are still out there; taking advantage of those who don't look at reviews.
Hope you're still enjoying the new car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts