Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, like most 16 year old car lovers I'm a massive fnf fan, love car shows and love to drive. I currently don't have a car but have narrowed it down to a brz or wrx. From greatest to least importance l, my checklist is as follows: tunability (body kit, loudness, performance ect)
Drivability (I want a car that can make me a better driver and reward me whilst doing soo)
Dependability (I plan on having this car forever (there will be others for me to drive)
Also if anyone here has any cool custom brz 13-16 as that's the years I want ) please send all the photos you can.

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
I say it is a great choice for a starter car. It is somewhat affordable, reliable (especially older models), fun to drive, easy to work on, and parts are readily available. It is not the easiest car to drive but you will get used to it. I think you should first buy a used model to practice and learn and then maybe buy a new one to "keep forever".

Please don't modify it with untasteful mods and ruin it. Research, read a lot on forums, ask questions.

Good luck and enjoy the car journey. It's a fun one for sure!

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
Are you talking about The brz or the wrx?
The BRZ. It's a much simpler car, and easier to work on. Less power, but better handling. Test drive both when you can and then make your decision. I think they are both great choices. Subaru really stepped it up recently.

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
Why not? If you plan on keeping this car for a long time I would store it during winter days. I have a 2020 TS in Ontario. I just don't drive it in the winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any recommendations on trim. I am personally I'm a suckered for nostalgia. But my limit is about 300 a month for payment

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
The Performance Package Trim is all you need really. It comes with nicer wheels and upgraded suspension. I got the TS but it's quite more expensive. I think you should be good with 300 over 5 years. Just negociate a low rate, and have them throw in free window tint and an accessory you like. I got the STI front splitter for free.

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
Should i waight for the next gen?
Well it depends. Since you are 16, I would buy a used one, have fun and learn with it, and that way save on insurance as well. You could always wait for the second generation to come out and then make a choice, it could be one or two years though.

I would not even think of buying a brand new car as a first car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any recommendations on what nods I should get first? I was thinking in order
Cobb access port with the air intake and other bits
exhaust. Either quad or singLe (I want one that's loud but with a DEEP sound like a wrx)
Durable v2 body kit. It's the same as the pandem v2 but way more affordable.
Maybe a bit if accessorie glow

·
Super Moderator
55 Posts
Start by finding the car and then drive it for a few months and then based on what you feel should be improved, go aftermarket. Forget about COBB, one of the best "canned" tune system for this vehicle is the OFT handheld tuner. The air intake won't net you any gains but you can get an inlet tube and a drop in filter for a marginal gain and more engine sound. As for exhaust, if you want the Subaru rumble, for go a UEL type header (unequal length). If you want a little more power than equal length is the way to go, but won't produce the rumble. Go from there. Start with headers and re-assess you level of enjoyment. I think you would enjoy the Tomei system if you want a loud system.

Forget about body kits, they are expensive and then you have to spend everywhere else to make it look decent...wider wheels, spacers, suspension drop, paint job and the list goes on.

It's an expensive hobby, research and do it right the first time. I remember being your age and not having access to all the resources available now. I did a LOT of costly mistakes but I guess that's how you learn!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts