Subaru BRZ Forum banner

Oil Filter Location?

10K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Rlndclark 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Toyota has been outing their filters there on most of the new engines they have come out with since 2005. It was deffently a Toyota call on filter location and it is simply for ease of oil change. It might have a few other advantages like keeping the oil filter further from the heat of the exhaust or more oil capacity who knows but I would bet its mainly for ease of oil change.

#4 ·
makes sense to me.

since the FR-S/BRZ/86 is a tuner focused vehicle and meant to be taken on the track it's great they did this, super easy oil changes.
I can't recall other cars that have a top mounted oil filter but I hope more manufactures start doing this.

One thing i always hated with doing oil changes, even though all the oil was drained the oil filter still had oil and kinda got messy while removing it.

Cleaner and easier oil changes sound good to me!

#11 ·
Many stern drive boats have remote oil filters. In those cases it is for ease of access. After you remove the drain plug, loosen the oil filter slightly to release enough air pressure and the oil will drain out of the filter before it leaks all over the engine. Another post suggested punching a hole in the filter with something sharp which would serve the same purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.