Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many I was so excited to see Subaru coming out with the BRZ. Nice to see a nice lower cost rear wheel drive sports car. It greatly reminded me of my first car - a 1982 Mazda RX-7.

However I now crossed it off my list. The reason? Black interior. I live in the desert of Arizona. No matter how nice it looks, I'll NEVER get black interior in any vehicle ever again! I did a test about 10 years ago with two identical cars at a dealership, one with black and one with beige interior (both were leather). The one with black was about 25F warmer inside than the beige car parked right next to it (same exterior color).

Anyway, a real shame they only offer one interior color option.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To tell you the truth the cars I've seen have a more dark gray interior but can't remeber if that was the BRZ premium I saw or the FRS....can anyone who has one confirm if black or gray?

·
Banned
117 Posts
I live in a hot climate and I am disappointed that there aren't any interior color options too. But I have found that almost all modern cars come with a black dashboard now for "safety reasons", presumably to reduce interior reflections from the windshield, regardless of the rest of the interior color. I usually put up a sunshade on the dash, that keeps it from turning into a giant heat radiator. Tinted windows should help as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
However I now crossed it off my list. The reason? Black interior. I live in the desert of Arizona. No matter how nice it looks, I'll NEVER get black interior in any vehicle ever again!
Go drive one. You may wish to reconsider after your test drive. This car really is that good, assuming you like it's attributes and can accept "only" 200 hp. It's performance numbers are very similar to a Miata. Its handling characteristics are unparalleled in my experience. Subaru did a terrific job in sorting this car. Words are inadequate…

This car is worlds better than my 1982 Mazda RX-7. That car was fun, but on the OEM tires, that car's handling was evil. Every salesman and every owner I ever spoke to about that car … had spun it! That thing really liked to turn around suddenly to see where it had just come from. :p

Drive a BRZ … you'll see. It is in a class of its own given the price.

The car comes with only two interiors: Premium model is all cloth seats in black, while Limited model has black "leather" seats, which in fact are only leather side bolsters and headrest with a full central panel of dark gray Alcantara, which is a faux suede material (cloth) that grips one's clothing well.

All leather, black seats preclude wearing shorts, don't they?! In the desert southwest, I mean, where daytime temps regularly are well into the 100s during the summer. It can be like sitting on a hot frying pan with naked flesh -- Aiee!

Maybe you could throw a large, white towel over the seats when parked. Inelegant, perhaps, but it's a solution I'd pursue if faced with a similar dilemma.

Still, before you dismiss this car, take a test drive on your favorite twisty bits … and then come talk to us. Lacking any nearby twisty bits, freeway cloverleafs are excellent for testing.

I predict you'll thank me.

Hope this proves to be helpful.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Although I haven't seen the actual fabric for the Premium model, the BRZ pamphlet seems to indicate that the fabric in the seating area appears to be more of an overall gray. It has a coarse weave of black and grey or black and white.

·
Registered
864 Posts
BRZDRIVER says: "That thing really liked to turn around suddenly to see where it had just come from."

Although I do not underestimate your driving skills (no offense), maybe it is due to being used to FWD. or maybe not.

·
Registered
193 Posts
save your money if you buy your cars based on interior. Just get a crap 5,000 dollar car.
As a fellow desert rat I can really appreciate where the OP is coming from. I resigned myself to the black interior and haven't worried about it. Maximum legal tint and sun shade is about all I can do about it. Thank goodness there is a minimum amount of interior air volume to "manage". By manage I mean if the car has been sitting in the heat you first runn the air conditioner in non-recirculate mode with the windows cracked for a minute to evacuate the stagnant hot air followed by switching to recirculate mode with the windows closed. Woola.

One thing about living in the god-forsaken desert southwest is our dust and sand tend to be light in color. Thus dust in the interior air and dirty shoes pose another issue since the soil stands out so striking with the black. Light grays would be a better choice in the desert.

Exterior color is a whole other story. If dark metallic colors and black were the only offerings I wouldn't buy any car (including the BRZ) irregardless the price or performance. My ideal exterior color would have been white but I settled on the next lightest exterior color of silver. When visiting car dealers I like to show salesmen what I am talking about by having them hold the back of their hand against the hood of a white exterior and then do the same on other colors. Even silver is quite a bit hotter than white but nothing like a dark metallic green or blue much less black. Again this is strictly a regional preference. If I lived back in Seattle I'd go for any color that floated my boat. But not here. No way.

Notwithstanding the above, no matter what color the interior or exterior are, if you leave your Chapstik sitting in the cup holder you are in for a big hot sticky surprise. That last phrase almost sounds like pervert code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the exterior color??
White.

I live in a hot climate and I am disappointed that there aren't any interior color options too. But I have found that almost all modern cars come with a black dashboard now for "safety reasons", presumably to reduce interior reflections from the windshield, regardless of the rest of the interior color. I usually put up a sunshade on the dash, that keeps it from turning into a giant heat radiator. Tinted windows should help as well.
With dark/black interior it just radiates the heat. Even with great air conditioning it takes forever for it to cool down once it gets heated up.

Go drive one. You may wish to reconsider after your test drive. This car really is that good, assuming you like it's attributes and can accept "only" 200 hp. It's performance numbers are very similar to a Miata. Its handling characteristics are unparalleled in my experience. Subaru did a terrific job in sorting this car. Words are inadequate…

This car is worlds better than my 1982 Mazda RX-7. That car was fun, but on the OEM tires, that car's handling was evil. Every salesman and every owner I ever spoke to about that car … had spun it! That thing really liked to turn around suddenly to see where it had just come from. :p

Hope this proves to be helpful.
I spun my RX-7 many times!! Although driving one for ~7 years I got pretty good at controlling it!
I'm sure I'll still test drive a BRZ, but if a mint 2006 BMW M3 couldn't sway me to go with a car with black interior again I doubt any car would!
Thanks...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Although I do not underestimate your driving skills (no offense),
None taken. (Heh.)

Code:
[SIZE=4][I][FONT=arial][SIZE=3]maybe it is due to being used to FWD.  or maybe not[/SIZE].[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Not. :p

But thank you for asking.

When I first learned to drive there were no FWD (front wheel drive) cars to speak of. (My writing reflects my youthful nature, but I'm old.) There was Saab, Citroen, and Alec Issigonis had just developed the original Mini. I grew up in those dangerous Olden Days of yore when RWD ruled the land. (Okay, some may dispute whether I've grown up, but ... never mind. I'm OLD, I tell you!)

I appreciate the implicit instruction in your observation, BRZfan, and I'm grateful for your concern. You're a good fellow, and I thank you for both your concern and your good manners in wishing not to offend. We need more of that here.

And, by the way, I never spun that RX-7, everybody else had spun that car. (Just to set the record straight, you understand.)

It is an interesting point that you raise. I've been somewhat surprised to see how many younger people here are concerned with the prospect of rear wheel drive vehicle dynamics. And that's a good thing, too. They don't know for certain and they're worried.

Fear not, folks.

Some thoughts on FWD, RWD, God and the Universe, etc.:

(1) The throttle is not a binary device; it is NOT a switch -- ON / OFF. Think of it as a rheostat, like the volume dial on your stereo amplifier. Ease that control upwards.

(2) Eyes facing forward IN THE DIRECTION YOU WISH TO GO. Never stare at the tree you're about to hit, because you'll hit it every time. You don't want to do that.

(3) Steer IN THE DIRECTION YOU WISH TO GO.

(4) If the back end steps out to the side, you've exceeded the tires' traction. Ease off the throttle, and See Above for Rules 2 and 3.

(5) Fear not. If it were as difficult as some fear, your ancestors would have become extinct long ago. Yet here you are.

(6) Never get into a scrap with The Laws of Physics. You'll lose every time, without exception.

(7) The NO FEAR kids are good candidates for a coffin. Mother Nature and The Laws of Physics are ruthless and merciless. Do not play with them if you wish to reach my old age. They will kill you -- dead -- in a heartbeat. No do-overs.

(8) In The World According to Driver, RWD is every bit as safe as FWD, arguably safer. You've just got to learn to drive properly. RWD is certainly more pleasurable to drive.

(9) When God created cars, he intended them to be RWD, with some allowance for rally cars intended for dirt and snow where he reckoned all wheel drive could work well with proper technology.

Happy motoring. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I spun my RX-7 many times!!
Thanks...
Seeee?

What did I tell you?

I know things. :p

And from what you've just told me, Entropy, I know that you in particular are going to love the BRZ.

Come back and share your experience when you've driven one. I'd be especially interested in reading your thoughts, regardless of whether you buy one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like many I was so excited to see Subaru coming out with the BRZ. Nice to see a nice lower cost rear wheel drive sports car. It greatly reminded me of my first car - a 1982 Mazda RX-7.

However I now crossed it off my list. The reason? Black interior. I live in the desert of Arizona. No matter how nice it looks, I'll NEVER get black interior in any vehicle ever again! I did a test about 10 years ago with two identical cars at a dealership, one with black and one with beige interior (both were leather). The one with black was about 25F warmer inside than the beige car parked right next to it (same exterior color).

Anyway, a real shame they only offer one interior color option.
I'm in Tucson and just got 3M Crystaline done on all windows. Purposely left it out in the sun all day and I'm happy with the results. Definitely cooler inside now. Granted that is a subjective assessment, but there are solutions for living in the desert.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Entropy,

Check this out from a post tonight in the General Discussion:

I have never in my life driven an automobile that turns so nicely with perfect g-loading. The thing's on rails, man. I have quite a bit of stick time in vintage warbird aircraft so have had the privilege to experience some extreme speed and performance. The BRZ is a true delight and right up there with better-behaved airplanes.
I'm telling you, Entropy, you must drive this thing. Never mind that M3, as impressive as it is. Just drive the BRZ and come talk to me. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
It was 103 in my BRZ BUT, the air kicked and cooled within minutes. My rubaby is AWESOME!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
P.S. went to my guys at guardian graphics. There is a new clear ceramic tint they can put on the entire car including the windshield. They had a black car in the sun. I touched my steering wheel,burn. I touched the cars' steering wheel with the clear tint? Comfort beyond belief. Gettin it done and got er did soon! I have the shaded tint on all the windows but doing the clear on the windshield.

·
Banned
117 Posts
P.S. went to my guys at guardian graphics. There is a new clear ceramic tint they can put on the entire car including the windshield. They had a black car in the sun. I touched my steering wheel,burn. I touched the cars' steering wheel with the clear tint? Comfort beyond belief. Gettin it done and got er did soon! I have the shaded tint on all the windows but doing the clear on the windshield.
Do you know the name of the product? What did it cost you to have all the windows done?

·
Registered
864 Posts
"Rubaby"

Explain, please. :)
Probably taken from combination of the last syllable of "SubaRU" and what some people use for nicknames of their cars such as "she", 'her", 'baby", "machine", etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts