Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I admit it. I bump the nose in parking lots a lot. Looking for some solutions (yes, I could drive better) like a camera or sensor. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
OK, I admit it. I bump the nose in parking lots a lot. Looking for some solutions (yes, I could drive better) like a camera or sensor. Anyone done that?
I do it too, now and then, but (except one time when I bumped a very high curbing and needed touch up paint) I usually run the lower lip of the grill over the curbing a bit, scratching it underneath. Since it's underneath the lip, it can't be seen, but it still makes me mad that I do it.

Don't know how to stop it, as it's easy to misjudge the distance of the nose to the curbing.

I wish Subaru would make a black (same material as that on the rear end around the tail pipes) "lip protector" that could be slipped on the lip to protect it from bumps and scratches. I don't think it would look bad being black, and it would save a LOT of mental angst when misjudging the parking distances.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been trying to use the side view mirror as a rough guide - when pulling up to a curb if I look under the side view mirror when the line of the curb just meets the bottom of the mirror mount then I've got less than 1 ft clearance. Haven't really nailed the formula yet - and it's less helpful when pulling up to a parking bumper. Works ok for painted line parking lots where you just imagine a line connecting the ends of the adjacent spaces.

Anybody have a better technique? I've never had this much trouble learning how to line up a car parking before - must be my experience is all FWD or short-hood, higher up position.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been trying to use the side view mirror as a rough guide - when pulling up to a curb if I look under the side view mirror when the line of the curb just meets the bottom of the mirror mount then I've got less than 1 ft clearance. Haven't really nailed the formula yet - and it's less helpful when pulling up to a parking bumper. Works ok for painted line parking lots where you just imagine a line connecting the ends of the adjacent spaces.

Anybody have a better technique? I've never had this much trouble learning how to line up a car parking before - must be my experience is all FWD or short-hood, higher up position.
I used your technique yesterday - and it worked! I was exactly a foot away from the curb. So thanks for the idea.

Before the BRZ, I drove a 4WD Dakota for 14 years - blunt nose and high up - so parking the BRZ takes getting used to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used your technique yesterday - and it worked! I was exactly a foot away from the curb. So thanks for the idea.

Before the BRZ, I drove a 4WD Dakota for 14 years - blunt nose and high up - so parking the BRZ takes getting used to.
Glad it helped. Funny - I also drove a Dakota for about 14 years, had a 1998 Dakota Sport (RWD). Traded it to get my wife's current car and took her car for 2 years but it was FWD. Compared to my Dakota, the BRZ is a breeze in snow & ice !

·
Registered
36 Posts
The BRZ is a short car. I always found my car would "disappear" among the other giants parked beside me if I pulled in too far, so for me I just park a good foot or so from the curb (or vehicle in front). It makes my BRZ easier to find in the parking lot, makes sure the car is visible for people looking for a parking space, and leaves no chance of bumping its nose against the wall :).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just always back in... its a habit I got in a long time ago in my S2K, and I only back up till my front is lined up with everyone else's backend. That way I don't have to back out into traffic and I never have to worry about scraping up the front end..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just always back in... its a habit I got in a long time ago in my S2K, and I only back up till my front is lined up with everyone else's backend. That way I don't have to back out into traffic and I never have to worry about scraping up the front end..
Speaking of backing up... am I the only one who thinks the BRZ's back-up lights are PUNY?! I've never seen anyone mention it, but I'll be someplace dark and put it in reverse and it's almost like it has no back-up lights at all. It's almost as dark behind the car as if there were no lights.

Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
...am I the only one who thinks the BRZ's back-up lights are PUNY?!
Yes, I absolutely have that problem. Especially with dark tinting. I'm going to be replacing the bulbs soon with projector LEDs, but the ones I'm looking at are about $60 each :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of backing up... am I the only one who thinks the BRZ's back-up lights are PUNY?! I've never seen anyone mention it, but I'll be someplace dark and put it in reverse and it's almost like it has no back-up lights at all. It's almost as dark behind the car as if there were no lights.

Anybody else have this problem?
I got the reverse light LED upgrade that goes in the light fixture under the rear valence. Nice and bright. Why they didn't put a light in there from the factory I don't know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got the reverse light LED upgrade that goes in the light fixture under the rear valence. Nice and bright. Why they didn't put a light in there from the factory I don't know.
I'll look into that. I know the BRZ needs something to brighten things behind it!

Yes, why they didn't put bright back-up lights in it I'll never know. The headlights are amazingly bright!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with backing into spots. When you drive by a parking spot the "traffic" in that spot will not change and there will be no surprises when you back in to it. You can then simply drive out when you leave.

If you pull forward into a parking spot the "traffic" outside the spot is always changing with people driving the lanes looking to park or rushing to leave. It's always changing, so backing into that traffic is a greater risk than backing into a parking spot. When you think of the lack of rearward visibility the risk is even greater.

I have yet to damage my front lip by backing into a spot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I absolutely have that problem. Especially with dark tinting. I'm going to be replacing the bulbs soon with projector LEDs, but the ones I'm looking at are about $60 each :(
Replaced the reverse lights with new projector LEDs, but it's not nearly as effective as I was hoping due to the angle that the bulb sits :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Replaced the reverse lights with new projector LEDs, but it's not nearly as effective as I was hoping due to the angle that the bulb sits :(
Very sorry to hear that. I was hoping it would make a significant difference. It's DARK back there!

Yes, day or night, one really has to be careful backing up a BRZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing i always do whenever there is another car parked is pull in next to that car and look left and see my car's reflection in the paint of the other cars'.
That, for the most part, lets me see where i am and how close I'm getting to the curb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The mirror thing is great. I never had an issue with my other cars but this one is hard to judge.
I hit my lip twice before using the mirror method.
Backing in is another excelent idea, it's called defensive driving. Years ago I worked at an airport & had to
take a short driving cource & this was one thing they showed us. First you get a clear view
of the parking space & anything in your way, second, on the way out, you also have a clear view.
Works great at home too, no bicycles, dogs or child get run over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you get the LEDs in easily enough? I tried once fitting the reverse LEDs but couldn't access the old bulbs as the space for hands under the rear valence is so small - what's the trick?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts